MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Izanee

MH will continue flights to Newark

MAS codeshares with Virgin Blue? :huh: :help:

That's what i said... look for the discussion in this forum. <_>

Time and time again, politicians can’t resist to poke their finger in MH. Guess IJ is wasting his time in MH and is about time for him to look for his next job.

MH will be better off to route EWR via AMS, code share with KLM, reschedule the evening arrival at EWR to morning but keep departure from EWR in the evening and make the route daily. Then this route may be profitable else will forever losing money.

As for ARN, can always code share with KLM from AMS.

just to add on, although MAS is a badan tidak berkanun, the largest shareholders in the company are all owned by the government.

they actually decide the future of the company thou..saddening

just to add on, although MAS is a badan tidak berkanun, the largest shareholders in the company are all owned by the government.

they actually decide the future of the company thou..saddening

So, the government is in charge of MAS :huh: :help: ?

So, the government is in charge of MAS :huh: :help: ?

No need for 'rocket scientist' qualifications to work out that conclusion there !! :)

The only thing "stopping" them is the Malaysian Government... MAS was in pursuit of signing 5 new-code share agreements this year.. so far, the only one I can think of is Virgin Blue in Australia...

IIRC they signed another one with Aitalia.

IIRC they signed another one with Aitalia.

which hasn't yet really materialised because of the latter's problems. See Pieter's thread about it in this forum :)

Let's hope that MH will able to compete with SQ on this market :good:

Idham is right,Uncle Pieter.MAS is a GLC,so government do have rights to intervene.

I have to disagree with you on this, MAS is government link company BUT the government doesn't have rights to interfere with MAS' business decisions.

Look at Emirates and Singapore Airlines, both are government linked companies, but the government do not interfere with their business decisions. This is why they can be successful and profitable. Unless MAS is free of government interference, it will never be profitable and sadly, the taxpayers will pay for maintaining useless "prestige" routes.

However, I have to commend Mr. Idris Jala, he has tried his best to restructure MAS. Coming from profit driven and non government company like Shell must have helped.

I have to disagree with you on this, MAS is government link company BUT the government doesn't have rights to interfere with MAS' business decisions.

Look at Emirates and Singapore Airlines, both are government linked companies, but the government do not interfere with their business decisions. This is why they can be successful and profitable. Unless MAS is free of government interference, it will never be profitable and sadly, the taxpayers will pay for maintaining useless "prestige" routes.

However, I have to commend Mr. Idris Jala, he has tried his best to restructure MAS. Coming from profit driven and non government company like Shell must have helped.

G'day, and welcome to MalaysianWings.com!

Yes, unfortunately the meddling from the government doesn't help.. BUT the government doesn't always get its way... for example, the latest stance on high airfares complaint by Tourism Malaysia was retorted well by Idris Jala.

I think at the end of the Day the government WILL let MAS do what it has to do.. but I guess the publicity about their comments on how MAS should be run are misconstrued by the media and the public.. anyway.. they do give god support to MAS and AirAsia alike.

On a side-note, You'll need to PM Gavin Andrew David (our Administrator) to change your name, as here we require real names! :) You have to use part of your name e.g. John Q. You don't have to use your entire name! :)

Thank you, Sandeep_G, points noted. I have PM-ed Gavin Andrew David.

Sorry for being so ignorant. I just couldn't wait to post. LOL...

i beg to differ. the government have all rights to do so as they are the biggest shareholders. although they do not potray it directly, they're doing so through their organisation, PMB. It might just look to us that they're totally independant and decisions are made by the administration but i guess it's they who decide where the airlines head.

this is a usual sight in malaysia. eg: proton.

just my two cents, i guess they cannot progress as long as there is someone to feed them all the time and provide them with all the $ when they direly need it. it's way past time for these organisations to be independant and perhaps less interference from the govt ensures prosperity.

cheers!

i beg to differ. the government have all rights to do so as they are the biggest shareholders. although they do not potray it directly, they're doing so through their organisation, PMB. It might just look to us that they're totally independant and decisions are made by the administration but i guess it's they who decide where the airlines head.

this is a usual sight in malaysia. eg: proton.

just my two cents, i guess they cannot progress as long as there is someone to feed them all the time and provide them with all the $ when they direly need it. it's way past time for these organisations to be independant and perhaps less interference from the govt ensures prosperity.

cheers!

Hmm.. If let say proton is profitable and successful, then it's another matter. I understand it's a very common sight in Malaysia and also Indonesia. Maybe it's time for the government to try encourage their companies to make profits and not SUCK away the taxpayer's money. Let the companies make their own business decisions and the government focus on being the government, rather than businessman wannabe.

However, if we see from major public companies perspectives, shareholders do not interfere with business decisions in the company, but shareholders do have rights to choose the CEO and directors. Shareholders also have rights to ask the CEO to be accountable, transparent, present the company results, and demanding that the company make profits.

Finally, I have to agree with you that the government shouldn't pour too much money, MAS will become very much dependent on government and not efficient.

I'm sorry Sanjay_Thaker, as I have mentioned above, I have realised my mistake. I have PM-ed the moderator to change my username or should I just create a new account?

I'm sorry Sanjay_Thaker, as I have mentioned above, I have realised my mistake. I have PM-ed the moderator to change my username or should I just create a new account?

no no, he'll get around to it :) he's quite busy so it may take some time :)

May I just disclose to you guys the following Shareholder information, taken from MAS' website:

1. Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad - 69.34%

2. Employees Provident Fund Board - 10.72%

3. Amanah Raya Nominees (Tempatan) Sdn. Bhd. - 6.14%

4. State Financial Secretary Sarawak - 2.71%

5. Warisan Harta Sabah Sdn. Bhd. - 2.40%

To further this, let's look at PMB's shareholders:

100% owned by Khazanah Nasional Berhad

Let's now look at Khazanah Nasional Berhad:

Khazanah Nasional is the investment holding arm of the Government of Malaysia and is empowered as the Government's strategic investor. As trustees to the nation's financial assets, our main objective is to promote economic growth and make strategic investments on behalf of the Government which would contribute towards nation building.

Hmmm.. so look at all the Govt. and Quasi Govt Agencies that own MAS.. it's a wonder how MAS still muddles through all that bureaucratic red-tape..

Now for comparison, let's look at SIA, which is ALSO an airline with majority held by the national governments investment arm:

1 Temasek Holdings (Pte) Ltd - 691,451,172 - 56.19%

2 DBS Nominees (Pte) Ltd - 158,934,612 - 12.92%

3 HSBC (Singapore) Noms Pte Ltd - 97,375,358 - 7.91%

4 DBSN Services Pte Ltd - 68,164,505 - 5.54%

5 Citibank Nominees (Singapore) Pte Ltd - 43,452,551 - 3.53%

6 Raffles Nominees Pte Ltd - 30,445,634 - 2.47%

7 United Overseas Bank Nominees - 16,716,877 - 1.36%

8 Chang Shyh Jin - 4,208,000 - 0.34%

9 Morgan Stanley Asia (Singapore) - 3,134,263 - 0.25%

10 Merrill Lynch (Singapore) Pte Ltd - 2,304,516 - 0.19%

Total - 1,116,187,488 - 90.71%

Just from that, you can see how SIA's access to capital prevails over MAS. For MAS to attract these kind of heavy investors, will be a tremendous task. But that's what will have to happen to increase the pool of capital available for MAS to utilise for future expansion... otherwise, they're just going around in circles here.. Same s#1t, different day.

Starting to get VERY irritating =@

Sorry Gavin :sorry: :sorry: , I'm only 13 years old and I am very curious on what's going on in Malaysia Airlines :sorry:

Same s#1t, different day.

i do not see anything in MAS to change in the near future except for the CEO. maybe it'll be same s#1t, everyday..sigh, luckily i'm exempted from tax..or else i'd go :angry:

Sorry Gavin :sorry: :sorry: , I'm only 13 years old and I am very curious on what's going on in Malaysia Airlines :sorry:

Make Google your best friend then.

The 'search' function of this forum could also do. ;)