MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Peter Smith

Lion takes 30 more 737's

G'day all,

JT has increased their firm order for 737-900ER's by exercising their 30 purchase rights taken out in July 2005. This now means the private Indo airline holds 60 firm orders and is launch customer for the type.

The news release can be viewed here: CLICK ME!

Denny, BR's 3rd 77W is on show at Farnborough also.

Edited by Liam Gibb

G'day all,

JT has increased their firm order for 737-900ER's by exercising their 30 purchase rights taken out in July 2005. This now means the private Indo airline holds 60 firm orders and is launch customer for the type.

The news release can be viewed here: CLICK ME!

Denny, BR's 3rd 77W is on show at Farnborough also.

nice! Let's hope that this will mean more orders for the type from other carriers in the region that would be able to utilise this aircraft splendidly :) (hint hint MAS) ;) hehehe

The pressure is on MAS! Garuda, Lion, Batavia, AirAsia, Singapore, Thai, CX etc. order more aircrafts replacing the aging one and MAS will just shut looking at their brand new fleets. Too bad, back a year ago, MAS nearly sign 738 deal............................ :(

Congrat to Lion air, hope they will give AK impact future :good:

We had JT scouts in PER on various occasions, with the company showing its desire both verbally and in their inflight magazine of desire to fly to PER, but never really had the perfect equipment (now with 734's and MD-90's they're close). At one stage JT was heard saying one of, if not the first new route for 739ER's would be PER. Time will tell, I sure hope so!

Its great to see DPS picking up again with GA PER's initial fear of not filling a 73H being quashed with extremely healthy loads on their daily 73H run, CGK-DPS-PER-DPS-CGK, and QF picking up a solid load on their 763's.

nice! Let's hope that this will mean more orders for the type from other carriers in the region that would be able to utilise this aircraft splendidly
am I reading this as KUL-KCH-PER? :D or even BKI-PER? Both well inside the range of this new Boeing model.

Just wonder..............how can they afford this, or are all these planes leased ? (than, still, how can they afford) ?

Cannot find much about them in the latest ATW, except for their highest average load-factor of 91% :o :o

New article from Flight Daily News, released on 18 July 2006:

Farnborough: Indonesian carrier Lion Air's Rusdi Kirana talks to Flight Daily News after 30-aircraft Boeing 737 order

Six years ago Rusdi Kirana was eating a burger with his wife sitting on the grass overlooking the Farnborough runway. He was at the show looking to acquire his first aircraft for Indonesian start-up carrier Lion Air.

The contrast with this year could not be more stark: yesterday Kirana was having lunch with Boeing chief Alan Mulally having just exercised options to buy another 30 737-900ERs. Valued at over $2.2 billion at list prices, the 30 737s doubles the number Lion Air will acquire, with first deliveries starting in April 2007.

And Kirana, a travel agent who founded the low-cost carrier with an $850,000 investment with his brother, intends to order plenty more. “When I came here to order Boeing aircraft I said to Alan that you are going to make me a billionaire. I am going to have a big profit with your 737s.”

Kirana told Mulally that he intends to use that profit to become a 787 customer. The aim is to take its first 787, which would have to be leased, by 2010, he said.

Kirana has just finished a round of discussions with European and US banks about raising the finance for its new orders. With no debt and a profitable operation, although the privately held carrier releases no financial figures, Lion Air is seen as an attractive investment, he said.

Lion Air has grown rapidly to become the country’s largest domestic carrier with a market share of 32% and currently operates a fleet of 23 737 Classics and MD-80s, said Kirana.

Kirana has just finished a round of discussions with European and US banks about raising the finance for its new orders. With no debt and a profitable operation, although the privately held carrier releases no financial figures, Lion Air is seen as an attractive investment, he said.

Thanks, Seng Lim, this 'clears a bit of the fog' :)

Seth, you wouldn't believe the potential of PER..

PER-KCH-KUL

PER-BKI

PER-PEN

even if these are seasonal services, they could really do well!

if only MAS knew the potential for flights, given that Aussies are now shying away from DPS (Bali) due to the threat of terrorism...

The right fleet will allow MAS to become a great leisure airline!

if only MAS knew the potential for flights, given that Aussies are now shying away from DPS (Bali) due to the threat of terrorism...
Its starting to pick up. QF is averaging about 150 (300 per week) per 763 rotation, with GA averaging about 140 on its daily 73H service. Things are picking up, but are certainly no where near the daily A333/DC-10/742 requirement that GA used to have. MH have a huge leisure market from PER, they just need to tap it, and hurry up about it!

BI make a packet on BKI packages from PER, and MH could do much better on the 20 odd pax they carry daily by offering much better connections, the 2200 arrival in KUL is ridiculous with PEN the only local destination still available on a single day travelling! (MH126 excluded)

Edited by Liam Gibb

Oz running away from DPS......that's mean big bucks to other Asian destinations which can offer what Bali offer. Sandeep, since you in Aus, is there any warning visitng Sabah from there, far as I know, American visiting Malaysia suggested to avoid Sabah ;)

American visiting Malaysia suggested to avoid Sabah wink.gif

Really? I think they are mistaken, like Bush knows jack s#1t. Apart from the Filipino kidnapping from Sipadan, Sabah is pretty safe. Should watch out for fanatics from the East coast of the peninsular instead. Thats where the danger is :lol:

Edited by S V Choong

Sabah is pretty safe. Should watch out for fanatics from the East coast of the peninsular instead.

Can confirm that: feel safer in Sabah than in the Peninsular (no insult intended, guys: LOVED the recent visit in KUL recently :good: )