MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ken K. Kour

Malaysia Seeks More Liberal Aviation Pact With China

Malaysia seeks more liberal aviation pact with China

By Anna Maria Samsudin

annamaria@nstp.com.my

July 15 2006

MALAYSIA aims to further liberalise the current aviation agreement with China as it seeks to woo more Chinese tourists, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said.

This is hoped to boost flights between the two countries by a quarter, to around 100 flights a week within the next few years, from some 80 currently.

Despite the promotions carried out by various agencies, he pointed out that Malaysia still lags behind Singapore and Thailand in the number of Chinese tourist arrivals.

An improvement in Malaysia-China flight connectivity would probably be able to spur tourism activities between the two countries.

"We already have a liberal aviation agreement with China. However, there is still room for improvement.

"We hope to further liberalise the arrangement in the next round of talks, which will be held in Beijing in August," he told reporters after officiating at China Jilin Trade and Investment Promotion briefing in Kuala Lumpur, yesterday.

He also said the Government is talking to an airline from China who is interested to operate KL International Airport (KLIA)- Xian route, previously served by MAS. The service is due to commence in October.

"There are other airlines in China that have expressed their interest to fly into KLIA. We are still talking to them," he added.

Copyright © The New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad, Balai Berita 31, Jalan Riong, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

_________

i think we need less talking and more action ;)

Despite the promotions carried out by various agencies, he pointed out that Malaysia still lags behind Singapore and Thailand in the number of Chinese tourist arrivals.

Not sure if we can beat Singapore in this aspect. First and foremost because Singapore is seen by the Chinese as another land occupied by Chinese or Chinese speaking nation. Secondly Singapore's relationship and trade with China exceeds what's between Malaysia and China.

Thailand on the other hand is quick to the call and willing to accept Chinese tourists. Local Thai Chinese also assimilated well with the Thai culture.

Relationship between Malaysia and China had turned rocky thanks to the "Lockup girl" incident. The way some governmental Minister behave had totally upset the tourists. Sorry to say but seems like our minister needed to be more educated and embrace a more open attitude towards foreign tourists.

Ken, didn't you say that you are flying out of AKL today? :D

Edited by S V Choong

Malaysian news to me always sound overly optimistic.

Anyways, I did a search lately and found out that many of the Chinese airlines have either suspended services of reduced their flights to KUL.

Shenzen Airlines seemed to have disappeared.

China Eastern used to fly daily KUL-PVG and 3 times weekly KUL-KMG....not all that's left is twice weekly KUL-PVG

China Southern used to do KUL-CAN daily, now only 4 times weekly

Xiamen Airlines has also reduced frequency between KUL-XMN and KUL-FOC to only 2 to 3 flights weekly

Not sure if I am 100 % accurate...please verify.

What has gone wrong between KUL and China mainland?

The frequencies of these airlines to KUL are just pathetic compared to what they have with SIN.

:nea:

Talking with Chinese carrier to operate Xian-KUL, MAS hardly can survive this route. IIRC, AK also interested in Xian

Ken, didn't you say that you are flying out of AKL today? :D

hahahaha... decided to stay for abit longer with family over here, no clue when ill be back due to my IB Diploma course starting in august.. so might as well spend time when i can..

Im going on the 24th of july now, no more delays :lol: :pardon:

..... decided to stay for abit longer with family over here, .....

Met up with your Dad only on Thursday - is he in AKL already ?

actually sv choong....m'sia is THE largest trading partner of china in South East Asia....more than singapore or thailand. check prev articles from the star or bernama

Sign in to follow this