MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr Berlin-Gatow

After visiting the ILA-2006 (Internationale Luft- und Raumfahrtausstellung) at Berlin-Schoenefeld, I visited another airfield in Berlin: Gatow (an old RAF base), to visit the "Airforce Museum of the Federal Forces"...

My main aim was to check-out the Soviet built aircraft on display (mainly ex NVA-LSK) and I was not disappointed :clapping:

So, please, visit along with me the excellent museum, which is FREE of charge !!!

Welcome to the museum, ladies and gentlemen: this is the "gate-guard", a Breguet Atlantic, formerly operated by the West-German Marineflieger:

IPB Image

This is a MIG17 of the former Czecho-Slowak AF; according the information supplied, it was operated from Hradec Kralove AB in the Czech Republic before:

IPB Image

Here's another MIG17PF (limited all-weather fighter) of the former NVA-LSK (Nationale Volksarmee-Luftstreitkraefte); built in 1959, it flew until 1971 as 615, afterwhich it became at trainer (as 091) at Schoenhagen and Bautzen AB, before moving to Gatow in 1991:

IPB Image

The L29 Delfin (311) was built in 1966 and operated till 1980 at Bautzen AB:

IPB Image

This is a MIG21UM 256, built in 1971 and operational till 1994, when in was phased-out at the Trollenhagen AB, before moving to Gatow and receiving the 23-77 registration:

IPB Image

The 596, a MIG21M, retained the original registration; built in 1969, it operated from Peenemuende AB on the Baltic coast (see my picture in the TXL-CPH topic), before it became a 'apprenticetrainer' in 1973:

IPB Image

SU22M-4's operated from the Laage AB (see picture in my TXL-CPH topic) between 1985 and 1991; there are 3 Sukhois at the Museum, which ex-regi this one has is unknown (no information shown in front of aircraft):

IPB Image

This one is an oldie: built in 1961, it operated until 1990 from Kamenz AB, before moving to the museum at Gatow in 1995:

IPB Image

This one is real old and quite 'rare'; built in the same year as I was born :lol: , it was transferred from the USSR to the GDR in 1962, where it operated for a lengthy 20 years from Bautzen AB before being retired:

IPB Image

398 is a MI8T, built in 1969; it became 93+01 in 1991, before being retired in 1994:

IPB Image

A real 'beast' when looked-upon from real close, here you'll see a MI24P, ex 387 in the NVA-LSK times; it was built in 1990 and operated only for 10 months before Unification, afterwhich it became 96+43:

IPB Image

Although it suggest different, this is the 569, a MI-4A, built in 1963 and operated till 1981, before it went to Bautzen AB to be also an apprentice-trainer:

IPB Image

Hope, you love this small tour sofar, to be continued tomorrow; comments, as usual, welcome ;) ...

wow....what a selections.. :clapping:

Thanks for the tour, Pieter. No MiG-19?

TK,

This is only around 25%, which is on display; more Western types on show are Alyzee with counter-rotating prop, Bronco, Hansajet, Noratlas, F104, F86 and Fiat91, just to name a few :o

Attan,

Had hoped myself for a MIG19 also, however, non were on display :(

More pictures to be added shortly, as well as from the ILA airshow; watch YC's 'hijacked' topic for more ;)

Wow....that's awesome,Uncle Pieter! Didn't know that the Luftwaffe operates former NVA-LSK MiGs after the unification.

Nice name of the former Eastern German forces:Nationale Volksarmee and that's mean..National People's Army,rite?

Wow....that's awesome,Uncle Pieter! Didn't know that the Luftwaffe operates former NVA-LSK MiGs after the unification.

Nice name of the former Eastern German forces:Nationale Volksarmee and that's mean..National People's Army,rite?

National Volksarmee is indeed National People's Army in English...Luftstreitkraefte (LSK) is Airforce(s) :o

This NVA-LSK was in real shambles after the 'Wall' had fallen down with extremely low moral in the former GDR forces; therefore, the only aircraft type transferred from the NVA-LSK to the Luftwaffe was the MIG29, which left the airforce just a few months ago to Poland...even the MI-24 helicopters (10 months old) were grounded after the re-unification (see text at 96+43 picture)...

A very interesting museum indeed !!!

Waoaooooa :blink:

I Luvv Those Helicopter.. MI-24P Look Like the same Helicopter on Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater.. Wakakakakaka :good:

One word.. Awsome !!!!!!!!

Pieter any chance of Bf-109 or any ME avail?

Edwin, there's only a very small portion of the museum dedicated to WW2; there, an Arado (?) plane was on display; I did see a replica of a Me262 fly at the ILA: no pictures, unfortunately :(

Anyhow, here I'll continue with the final installment of shots:

Another MI8T is also on display here: built in 1975, it used to be the 927 in NVA-LSK service and operated by the THG34 (=Transporthubschraubergeschwader; nice long word :p ) till 1991, when it became 93+14 and was retired in 1994:

IPB Image

Another MI8 on display is 93+92, original NVA-LSK registration unknown; interesting to note is the "Q" sign on the door, meaning a certain level of low-maintenance for this craft:

IPB Image

Here, another MI24 variant D on display: built in 1981 this 521 only flew until 1982 when a 'special occurence' happened on 24/06/1982 at Havel bei Wust, afterwhich it went to a 'mechanical school' as 5211:

IPB Image

53+10 was the former 318 in NVA-LSK service; built in 1980 it became it's Luftwaffe registration in 1993 and operated as such until 2000, before flying into Gatow for the display:

IPB Image

Really like the angle of this picture: here you see a MI8PS, former 914 of the Grenztruppen der DDR (border-guards of GDR) and now 93+51...it was built in 1986 and was transferred to Luftwaffe service in 1991 before she retired in 1997:

IPB Image

This poor devil has been static since 1994 already, when she flew straight from Dresden into Gatow as 52+09; it was 369 before and also flew between 1988-1990 as DDR-SBL:

IPB Image

Quite an old bird is this 645, a MIG21F-13 day-interceptor fighter; it was built in 1962 and operated until 1980 when she went on display at the OHS (air-force academy) at Bautzen AB:

IPB Image

Was really happy to see this SU22M-4 aircraft 798 is special colours: it was painted in the German Black-Yellow-Red colours in honour of the last flight from Laage AB on 24/08/1994:

IPB Image

Quite a dramatic view of this MIG23BN 20-51, the former 710, with these movable wings; it was built in 1980 and operated till 1994 when it was withdrawn from use at Drewitz AB:

IPB Image

Hope, you enjoyed this small "GDR" tour of the Gatow museum !!!

Like I said, it's a MUST visit whenever in- or close-by Berlin, as lot's of interesting aircraft are on display here...

Awesome photos,so to speak.Thanks again,Uncle Pieter for sharing your photos with us here at MWings.

Great stuff Pieter. Some out of normal commercial aviaition that we so use to seeing. Two thumbs up to you!! :good: :good:

wow! thumbs up for all those shots.... :good: nice collection there :D