MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
S V Choong

Head of State rides

I just stumbled across the Republic of China (Taiwan) Air Force number 3701, currently President Chen Sui Bian's ride, the Taiwanese version of Air Force One is a Boeing 737-8AR

Original colour scheme

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0942604/L/

New "striking" colour scheme

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1035302/L/

Not too sure about the colours especially the green

Compared that to "our" M53-01 Boeing 737-7H6 BBJ. I will say that ours are much better and looks more like a head of state ride than theirs :)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0930339/L/

What do you think? Any other Head of state ride you want to comment on?

SV,

Like mentioned before, looks like a toothpaste-tube :rofl:

How about this one, taken during recent state-visits to Sweden and Argentina ???:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1044297/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1025146/M/

Seal of the Netherlands and registration are grey-on-white :angry: :angry: :angry:

Talk about fashion nightmare.

even pink power rangers doesn't use pink color for their vehicle or robot or whatever :p . it's government plane, should use meaner or darker color like dark blue or black.

Azuddin

Pieter, the Netherland's Royal ride is still better than the ROC Airforce's 737-800 dubbed "Macleans toothpaste".

They probably want to deemphasize the royal craft hence the grey on white background. Still a fair bit of nationalism though, by using Fokker 70 :)

Compared that to "our" M53-01 Boeing 737-7H6 BBJ. I will say that ours are much better and looks more like a head of state ride than theirs :)

SV, agree with you... Our's is so much better! ;-)

if for me, i consider large aircraft such as 747, A330, or A340 to be the ride for head of states. you could make a flying office of it. just like the Air Force One, you can put the entire White House people in it.

Azuddin

They probably want to deemphasize the royal craft hence the grey on white background. Still a fair bit of nationalism though, by using Fokker 70 :)

You're absolutely right, SV, moreover our Royal family is part of 'the House of Orange', hence the colours and (always) the orange football-shirts :lol:

Does Concorde count? Tony Blair used to charter them.

the queen did it a few times.

Azuddin

I just stumbled across the Republic of China (Taiwan) Air Force number 3701, currently President Chen Sui Bian's ride, the Taiwanese version of Air Force One is a Boeing 737-8AR

This is the Taiwanese Air Force One, but it was nevery used for state visit. To date it was used for his son's wedding entourage to fetch the bride. Lots of criticism for this from locals.

For state visits, the presidential office uses CI's 747 Dynamic Blue. They had stopped using EVA Air because its chairman openly criticised the President's poor economic skills and scandal-tainted family.

IPB Image

Off topic, the recent CI flight ferrying Ah-Bian's Latin America state visit also came under fire. CI was fined and penalized for violating aviation laws.

As a protest gesture against US' refusal for overnight stop in JFK or SFO, he took a longer routing westward via Abu Dhabi and Amsterdam, total journey hours = 39hrs. Thus, compromising flight/crew safety. Obviously an abuse of power. This immediately drew fire from the media.

Aviation law on aircrew states:

Not more than 10hrs of flight per day

Not more than 18hrs for 2 sets of crew.

IPB Image

The journey was certainly torture for the crews. Their joy can be seen here on the final leg of the return journey via Tripoli (and Batam - unannounced stopover).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

How about this one..could it be considered as the Head of State Ride?[/quite]

The RBA livery A340-200 looks too much like a civilian craft. If I am not mistaken, the Royal family of Brunei also has a B767-200 and B747-400 dedicated for the same purpose.

TW Teo, Concorde prolly doesn't count as it is not a dedicate HoS ride.

Denny, heard about that incident and recently the Indonesian government had to inspect Ah Bian with his unpermitted stopover at Indonesia. His government thinks it was the Communist party is to be blamed for making things difficult for him. Seems like everyone is making things difficult for him so that they don't piss the Chinese government off.

if i'm not mistaken, there one HoS using the A340-8000 for his rides. the A340-8000 was the only one ever built. it's -8000 but the look is the same as -200 bu thas longer ranger. I think it's from Brunei.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

if i'm not mistaken, there one HoS using the A340-8000 for his rides. the A340-8000 was the only one ever built. it's -8000 but the look is the same as -200 bu thas longer ranger. I think it's from Brunei.

A340-8000

This is an A340-200 based variant with additional fuel capacity giving MTOW of 275 tonnes. Its range with 232 three-class passengers is 8,100 nautical miles (15,000 km). It is powered by the 34,000 lbf (151 kN) thrust CFMI CFM56-5C4s similar to the -300E. One example was ordered by the Sultan of Brunei and built but not delivered.Other A340-200s were later given performance improvement packages (PIPs) which helped them achieve similar gains in capability. Those aircraft are labeled A340-213X.

This is the Taiwanese Air Force One, but it was nevery used for state visit. To date it was used for his son's wedding entourage to fetch the bride. Lots of criticism for this from locals.

For state visits, the presidential office uses CI's 747 Dynamic Blue. They had stopped using EVA Air because its chairman openly criticised the President's poor economic skills and scandal-tainted family.

IPB Image

Off topic, the recent CI flight ferrying Ah-Bian's Latin America state visit also came under fire. CI was fined and penalized for violating aviation laws.

As a protest gesture against US' refusal for overnight stop in JFK or SFO, he took a longer routing westward via Abu Dhabi and Amsterdam, total journey hours = 39hrs. Thus, compromising flight/crew safety. Obviously an abuse of power. This immediately drew fire from the media.

Aviation law on aircrew states:

Not more than 10hrs of flight per day

Not more than 18hrs for 2 sets of crew.

IPB Image

The journey was certainly torture for the crews. Their joy can be seen here on the final leg of the return journey via Tripoli (and Batam - unannounced stopover).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for that awesome info,Denny! For me,the CI 747 Dynamic Blue is more suited to be Taiwanese Air Force One,rather than the B738.

..... One example was ordered by the Sultan of Brunei .....

Official version of story as I remember it - said Sultan's brother ordered the bird, then got embroiled in that massive financial scandal, could not complete the deal and Sir Sultan had to take it up instead. His own 744 is quite stunning, slightly sinister in a way with its grey colour scheme.

Official version of story as I remember it - said Sultan's brother ordered the bird, then got embroiled in that massive financial scandal, could not complete the deal and Sir Sultan had to take it up instead. His own 744 is quite stunning, slightly sinister in a way with its grey colour scheme.

Any photos of His Majesty Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah bird? Seen that photo before,but already forget about it..

Seems like everyone is making things difficult for him so that they don't piss the Chinese government off[\quote]

SV,

In this day and age, anyone sensible enough will do the same !!

Any photos of His Majesty Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah bird? Seen that photo before,but already forget about it..

Try here

and here

Unfortunately, the two pics do not do the bird full justice - one just need to see it in real life to fully appreciate its majesty !

(I'm still waiting for someone, be it DW, GJ, Phoenix, Blue Box, AC ......., to make this in 1:400 !!)

Small country, sure big ride :good:

BC, looks like the 747-430 was a ex-Lufthansa craft judging by the customer code "30" :) Thought he would order it new from Boeing factory.

If memory serves me right, the bird was originally ordered by LH who later found themselves with excess capacity. Since Sir Sultan had some spare cash (and presumably no time to waste) the bird was sold to him instead - doubt if it was ever delivered to LH. Anyway, one can only imagine the interior would bear zero resemblence to a LH bird after they have fitted it out for Sir Sultan !

Forbes downgraded the Sultan's personal wealth from USD40bil to USD10bil and the Sultan wondered "what the...?". So he ordered a forensic accounting investigation into his brother's alleged mismangement/suspicious funneling of state funds (Board of Investment, IIRC). KPMG was hired to do the job, but Prince Jeffri (the brother) initiated a court action challenging KMPG's independence.

The case went up all the way to the House of Lords (UK's highest court), which laid down some very strict confidentiality rules of conduct (Chinese walls principle) for CPAs and law firms.

On a side note, the prince's yatch "Tits" along with 2 speedboats named "Nipples 1" and "Nipples 2" were briefly mentioned in the court papers.

Read the sideboard

IPB Image

Edited by Denny Yen