MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Seth K

Can anybody threatened AirAsia?

Can any threatened AK?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Can any threatened AK?

• Yes
    • No

Can anybody that offer full service threaten AirAsia. Thailand consider new budget airline call Euarng Luang to operate domestic and regionally. Could this be the AK new enemy?

Discuss ;)

AK has now established a nice network with certain awards.

And they are going to operates some of the routes that MH used to operate (am I correct?)

Therefore, if the new operator is not having extermely nicer price than AK offering, together with a better slot.

I don't think it is easy to threatened AK.

See, how many new planes that AK has ordered? A commerical Airlines won't act such stupid, if they foresee any threats.

AK is now standing firm in Southeast Asia's LCC industry,even the Singapore's Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia can't beat them.

After the MH-AK rationalisation plan begins,we could see that AK will be one of the most successful LCC in Asia.

I'd say yes ***IF***

Goverment allows a new LCC that runs on easyJet business model. Or allow Mr. Stelios to start his company in Malaysia. :p

easyJet Asia that operate from KLIA and flys to other main airport instead of secondary airport (eg: Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila instead of Clark, Manila for AK)

Targetted to mostly business people.

If gov willing see Ryanair vs easyJet war in Malaysia.

Indirectly also kills MAS Southeast Asia routes/business and other like PAL and TG.

So anything is possible if gov allows another airline to start do business in Malaysia. :rolleyes:

just my 0.02 cents... :p

Edited by Adrian M

Voted YES only,

if another LCC will start-up in S-E Asia with comparable fares AND better inflight service (like free food/drinks), something like Air-Berlin, which is more of a 'low-fare' rather than a 'low-cost' airline...

Voted "yes".

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there with fuel cost the major factor. Those who know how to hedge the fuel cost and keep other costs low will win. However, the long run outcome will be different from the short-run. In the long run, pax satisfaction, route network and financial management will differentiate the winners from the losers. In the short run, government assistance (permits, subsidies, etc.) and lots of cash up front may help for those fortunate enough to receive them. Splurging on new aircraft and routes may however bring more problems than revenue.

AirAsia ponders making Labuan a hub...now I see the prurpose of new Labuan airport :p

TF said, AK consider this route(not firm)

Labuan-Macau

Labuan-Guangzhou

Labuan-the Philippines

Very unexpected :blink:

On a side note...

If AK can tap the Indian Market....they will even rival Full Fare carriers... B)

AirAsia ponders making Labuan a hub...now I see the prurpose of new Labuan airport :p

Labuan-Macau

Labuan-Guangzhou

Labuan-the Philippines

If it's really happen like that, the businessmen of Labuan will be very happy bcoz Labuan is deperately need foreign travellers to spend money. No one is making money coz the population are to small and demands are low.

Definitely if another airline can offer a low fare airline instead of a low COST airline .

I'm sure some people would definitely prefer having their own aerobridge to the aircraft instead of walking to the aircraft in the blistering hot sun and having allocated and specified seating arrangements compared to ' free seating ' ..

Labuan-Macau

Labuan-Guangzhou

Labuan-the Philippines

Oh Wow ! Where did you pick that piece of gem from ?! :blink:

AirAsia ponders making Labuan a hub

LABUAN: AirAsia Bhd is exploring the possibility of developing Labuan as a hub to tap into its growth in business activities and tourism potential as well as its proximity to Brunei and Sabah.

“Labuan is a great place,” group chief executive officer Tony Fernandes said at the sideline of the Labuan International Offshore Financial Centre - The Preferred Financial Hub seminar yesterday.

“With the rationalisation exercise, we are now allowed to operate in Sabah and Sarawak and that changes the dynamics,” he added.

Asked on new routes, Fernandes said AirAsia was looking at Labuan-Macau, Labuan-Guangzhou and Labuan-the Philippines but nothing has firmed up.

He added that the low-cost carrier was expected to introduce Labuan on an Airbus route within the next two months..................

"It is not imminent, but it is one of the plans. Hopefully we can get a great deal from the airport," he said.

:)

Edited by Seth K

Doubt the 2nd LCC can compete with AK unless is backed by someone with a very deep pocket.

Believe a regional carrier operating RJ will fare better.

He added that the low-cost carrier was expected to introduce Labuan on an Airbus route within the next two months..................

Finally, after all my life here I have seen mostly 737 and F50 (apart from all Sultan's heavies) , finally, a chance of view...the A320.

Doubt the 2nd LCC can compete with AK unless is backed by someone with a very deep pocket.

Believe a regional carrier operating RJ will fare better.

The 2nd LCC can definately compete with AK unless their model is the Southwest's model. If they want to offer some frills then they should just go full service, just like what AC is doing now, PTV in every seats etc.

Edited by Isaac

I suppose if the playing field is level, anyone is entitled to start up and operate an airline, be it in competition with AK in the LCC sector or with MH in the frilly sector. And if managements of the existing carriers are worth their salt, they will view any newcomers to the scene as a valid threat. And what to do with threats in business ? Whack up measures and bargains to run the newcomers to the ground, hopefully bankrupt and out of the scene.

And the net result will most likely be another round of rationalisation for the airlines concerned - glorified term for sharing of the pie (or bowl of rice for us Asians) Only then Malaysia Boleh !

Definitely if another airline can offer a low fare airline instead of a low COST airline .

I'm sure some people would definitely prefer having their own aerobridge to the aircraft instead of walking to the aircraft in the blistering hot sun and having allocated and specified seating arrangements compared to ' free seating ' ..

That's exactly what AB is doing overhere in NL: they won't use the basic LCC terminal at Schiphol, but the 'normal' gate and Terminal of Schiphol; moreover, seating can be pre-booked for silver- and gold FF members, or during normal check-in procedures, and is nothing like the 'elbow' system AK is still using, yet their fares are a fraction of the 'regular' mainliner rates if booked well in advance ;)

Doubt AK will have a hub in Labuan as it goes against LCC business model. Believe it more sense to have a hub at BKI but T2 is too small to cater.

Voted 'No'. Should vote yes..

Wondering why isnt ther PEN-LGK-PEN route? :)

Too short for babybus and too big for the route, you know LCC limited their plane spending on ground and there are more routes for the plane to take care of, may be when they get more bus, sure they can do PEN-LGK run :)

Doubt AK will have a hub in Labuan as it goes against LCC business model. Believe it more sense to have a hub at BKI but T2 is too small to cater.

My dad work there for a year for offshore project, and there is no much attractions(This is 5 years ago, may change already), I doubt Labuan can be a hub, but we got to luv it, at least another city see international arr/dep :D

Up to date

Tony said AK will open one north Malaysian hub...............it will be either PEN or AOR. AK would consider the lowest cost to fly from as their hub( will have meeting with MAHB). The hub may see Alor Setar-Hat Yai route back and PEN/AOR to Thailand or other regional cities :)

yup...airline companies with low fares will certainly attract pax. If they can offer lower fares than AK, then certainly AK can get threatened.

yup...airline companies with low fares will certainly attract pax. If they can offer lower fares than AK, then certainly AK can get threatened.

The sentence or question should be "Can anybody threaten AirAsia?"

Up to date

Tony said AK will open one north Malaysian hub...............it will be either PEN or AOR. AK would consider the lowest cost to fly from as their hub( will have meeting with MAHB). The hub may see Alor Setar-Hat Yai route back and PEN/AOR to Thailand or other regional cities :)

PEN makes more sence :)

AOR - HDY could be too short and can't make money, 1 way taxi is around RM40, if my memory serves me correctly.