MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Group/AirAsia X Group Service Changes

Wow Barcelona.

I wonder why BCN though.

IAG's LCC Vueling has its primary hub at BCN. Perhaps that is the reason D7 is flying there - to feed the LCC traffic to/from Europe?

Barcelona is much more a touristy destination compared to other parts of Spain, maybe except Ibiza or Palma de Mallorca. Like Gold Coast in Australia.. It will be great if the plan materialised.

However I am kind of concern, every other airlines are pulling out of IST due to recent event, not sure if the timing is right. Also will flying A330ceo make wise business sense??

On a side note, Scoot is rumoured to be taking over Athens from SQ as first European route SQ currently operates seasonal services to Athens.

IAG's LCC Vueling has its primary hub at BCN. Perhaps that is the reason D7 is flying there - to feed the LCC traffic to/from Europe?

If this is the logic then they should be flying to SAW not IST :search:

Lexington please, SAW is managed by MAHB. Uncle Tony told me he is tired of all the drama.

Everyone get ready for Malaysian Cik Kiah's attack to these 2 destinations.

will flying A330ceo make wise business sense??

On a side note, Scoot is rumoured to be taking over Athens from SQ as first European route SQ currently operates seasonal services to Athens.

I would think that Scoot is one of the reasons why Airasia X has expedited their return to Europe. By starting IST/BCN this year, Airasia X will stake its claim to the market as Scoot makes its debut.
Will be interesting to see how well it will go - starting with a daily flight is something unusual. They never had daily flights to ORY nor LGW. I suppose daily flights are made possible because it is a dual destination route. Having daily a frequency does help generate more demand - proven on the KUL-OOL-AKL route.
Arik De (see video link above) mentioned that they will review the fleet again next year and may bring forward deliveries of aircraft. That might mean taking the A350-900 as the A330-900 won't be ready till the end of the year. That might mean the A330-300 flights are just there as a placeholder for airport slots before more suitable equipment is deployed.

Totally did not see this one coming.

What's more, 2 new destinations. Daily.

Barcelona could work. It's a sizeable low cost hub.

And the reinstatement of scheduled services between Malaysia and Spain.

We haven't seen this since MAS stopped their DC-10 services to Madrid a million years ago.

What's more, 2 new destinations. Daily.

Barcelona could work. It's a sizeable low cost hub.

Well, if they do not work out a partnership with local airlines, they will have to rely on self connecting pax. The 8.50pm departure time and daily flights help.

I think they will try to sell not just the BCN-KUL flights but also the flythrus to Bali, Phuket, Danang 0and other ASEAN destinations....

Edited by flee

MH+malaysian+airlines++1993+2+timetable+

Managed to find another picture on Malaysia Airlines's previous frequency to Madrid.

I think sometime after Malaysia Airlines changed the route pattern to via Istanbul.

MH+malaysian+airlines+1993+4+route+map+n

Edited by JuliusWong

I think it was via Istanbul and Dubai, i.e., 2 stops to KL.

I remember my Spanish friend complaining that when they bought the ticket, they were not informed about the 2 stops.

AirAsia on its website schedule listing has filed planned operation to Europe, marking the airlines return. Current schedule listing shows AirAsia X to operate Kuala Lumpur Istanbul Ataturk Barcelona route on daily basis, effective 30OCT16. Reservation for this route is currently unavailable.

D7001 KUL1000 1500IST1630 1920BCN 330 D

D7002 BCN2050 0120+1IST0250+1 1930+1KUL 330 D

From @airlineroute

Another Solution

KUL-AUH-CDG or Orly 4x Weekly

KUL-AUH-FRA 3x Weekly

I think AirAsia no matter what they have to steer clear away from ME3's fort. AUH will not do well as they tried before and failed miserably.

I think AirAsia no matter what they have to steer clear away from ME3's fort. AUH will not do well as they tried before and failed miserably.

They should only try to attack the ME3 hubs once they are established in the European market. Doing so at this stage is suicidal.

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/763658113173954560

According to the Tweet above, D7 has denied it is starting the KUL-IST-BCN route this year. The loading of inventory into GDS was a "test".

My Q is, testing what? Are they planning a one stop route into LGW and used BCN as a decoy?

They should only try to attack the ME3 hubs once they are established in the European market. Doing so at this stage is suicidal.

Well TK is like a pseudo-ME4 too

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/763658113173954560

According to the Tweet above, D7 has denied it is starting the KUL-IST-BCN route this year. The loading of inventory into GDS was a "test".

My Q is, testing what? Are they planning a one stop route into LGW and used BCN as a decoy?

Perhaps their route planner jumped the gun?

Even so, this may just pave their way back to UK with multi-stop itineraries.

Can (on paper) the A330neo do 15 hours non stop to London?

Can (on paper) the A330neo do 15 hours non stop to London?

Non stop to London is about 13½ hours. The A330neo will be able to do it.

15 hours only if you fly MH :p

Only when you want to avoid Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, eastern Turkey, Syria, Ukraine......

I know because I was there.