MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ken K. Kour

MH And The 773

YJ, as far as I know this plane was on loan from Airbus. MAS' Airbus A330-300 is PW powered and there was initially a bit of a problem with PW powered A330. The first one crashed when it was running a test flight, hence the PW powered A330 delivery schedule was affected. Thai had their's delivered late too. This Air-Inter A330 is GE powered, was on loan to MAS to get their crews trained up. Due to the problem with A330 delivery, MAS had to leased in the MD-11 to fill up the schedules. This is as much as I knew. First A330-300 (9M-MKA) arrived to MAS around 1995

user posted image

Rozhan this is for you, MAS 707 rego G-APFJ in London Heathrow. Wonder how many stops it made before it gets to LHR from KUL

I believe this might be a ex-BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) equipment and clearly a B707-400, as 400 series only have Rolls Royce engines.

user posted image user posted image

I don't think there were many 737-2H6 Adv flights running between East and West Malaysia.

3521[/snapback]

SV,

On the contrary - I believe B732's were the 'standard' equipment operating across the South China Sea. The widebodies were (and still are) the exception rather than the rule, mainly operating the international flights routing through (for eg) BKI.

Although I can remember daily A300 KUL-SIN-BKI-SIN-KUL ; as opposed to 3x weekly B734's How times have changed !

Thanks everybody for those shots of the red MH birds - time travel of sorts for us oldies !!

No way! We never get this VIP sandwich treatment or what-so-ever during the 737-200 days for the inter Sabah, Sarawak or Brunei flights!!!  Are you sure they are generous enough to give out sandwiches?  We paid M$120 (old 'currency' hehe) for each way, between BKI and TWU!

3416[/snapback]

Hi SV, how are you doing lately? I flew KUL-KCH-MYY quite often as my mom is from Miri. I did remember those days on the KCH-MYY sector we were served sandwiches/kari puff/kuih with tea and coffee on the MH737 service. On the Fokker service of course you get only drinks. Not sure about it now as we now have the chance to fly KUL-MYY direct.

Thanks Choong, that is one fabulous picture, and a new rego to learn. Do update us of anything new while I try to trace some history too. I'm trying to get some old MAS timetables through eBay to learn some of the equipment used during those times. The oldest I have is of 1981, but by that time the B707s is no longer in the fleet. I think a lot of research is needed. Anyway I understand that MAS has an archive at its building in Jalan Sultan Ismail. If they allow public access, I would try to find out some intereting things to share.

Wah Nick. You got the green plate? Jealouslah. I wish I have all the pieces to make a complete table setting. I almost have a complete set of the old Noritake batik design, but still looking for more!!!

SV,

On the contrary - I believe B732's were the 'standard' equipment operating across the South China Sea. The widebodies were (and still are) the exception rather than the rule, mainly operating the international flights routing through (for eg) BKI.

Although I can remember daily A300 KUL-SIN-BKI-SIN-KUL ; as opposed to 3x weekly B734's How times have changed !

Thanks everybody for those shots of the red MH birds - time travel of sorts for us oldies !!

Thanks Bing Chu, must have been my own ignorance.... I have always hop on to the widebodies, as my family tended to use the night flights a lot, as it is a lot cheaper back then. I remember the BKI-KCH-KUL and BKI-SIN-KUL flights on A300s pretty well.

Do you guys remember the daily A300 which runs as MH60 (or MH61 on the way back). MH60 routes from KUL-KCH-BKI-HKG-TPE-NRT, then NRT-TPE-HKG-BKI-KCH-KUL as MH61 (if I am correct...). Now..... MH60/61 is a codeshare flight with Dragonair as MHKA60/61 or MH9060/9061 only between BKI-HKG.... Things have changed so much.

Hi SV, how are you doing lately? I flew KUL-KCH-MYY quite often as my mom is from Miri. I did remember those days on the KCH-MYY sector we were served sandwiches/kari puff/kuih with tea and coffee on the MH737 service.

ph34r.gif Oh is that right? Thanks for that Sing Yew. They may have served sandwiches/kari puff on the Borneo flights, but I just haven't come across it. Perhaps they don't do it on BKI-SDK, SDK-TWU, TWU-BKI, BKI-BSB flights. All of these flights are within 30 mins - 1 hour reach. I guess it will take 1.5 hour to travel from KCH - MYY?

It is quite possible that my memory had failed me.... Curry Puff...Yummy..... tongue.gif I am hungry now!

Rozhan, perhaps start by writing a formal letter to MAS to get access into their archive? I tried ebay for many times, but the old time tables are pretty rare though.... lets keep an eye on it.

Thanks Bing Chu, must have been my own ignorance....  I have always hop on to the widebodies, as my family tended to use the night flights a lot, as it is a lot cheaper back then.  I remember the BKI-KCH-KUL and BKI-SIN-KUL flights on A300s pretty well.   

Do you guys remember the daily A300 which runs as MH60 (or MH61 on the way back).  MH60 routes from KUL-KCH-BKI-HKG-TPE-NRT, then NRT-TPE-HKG-BKI-KCH-KUL as MH61 (if I am correct...).  Now.....  MH60/61 is a codeshare flight with Dragonair as MHKA60/61 or MH9060/9061 only between BKI-HKG....  Things have changed so much.

Yes, I could recall flying the KUL-KCH sector on A300 and DC10.  The flight left early morning from KUL and from KCH continue on to (I think) one of all of the destination you stated.  Could remember too well, but HKG was definitely one of them.  You know, I am not sure if that was coincidence, but everytime when I flew KUL-KCH on A300, we got 737 on KCH-MYY.  When I flew KUL-KCH on DC10, we got Fokker on KCH-MYY.  I wonder why.

That flight also gave me the first opportunity to taste the famous nasi lemak of MH.  Yummy Yummy.  The best breakfast on the sky.

The return flight from KCH-KUL, on A300 or DC10, departed around 8pm - 9pm (can't exactly recall).

ph34r.gif Oh is that right?  Thanks for that Sing Yew.  They may have served sandwiches/kari puff on the Borneo flights, but I just haven't come across it.  Perhaps they don't do it on BKI-SDK, SDK-TWU, TWU-BKI, BKI-BSB flights.  All of these flights are within 30 mins - 1 hour reach.  I guess it will take 1.5 hour to travel from KCH - MYY?

Flight time from KCH-MYY on 737 is approximately 55 minutes.  By the way, I am Sim lah, not Sing Yew...... sad.gif

3661[/snapback]

Flight time from KCH-MYY on 737 is approximately 55 minutes.  By the way, I am Sim lah, not Sing Yew...... 

Oops!!!! Sorry....... ph34r.gif

Sim, I am arriving at HKG on 19 Oct 2005 for the Guangzhou Trade Fair, I will be staying at a hotel near Dongguan from around the 25-30 Oct instead of Guangzhou fearing that the hotel prices will be skyrocketed. Will you around Dongguan by then? By the way, is it safe to go to Meixian? Thought I'd like to find out my ancestral link...... but think may not be a good idea.....

Haha, I have yet to even set foot into Sabah and Sarawak let alone fly intra Borneo. Anyway, enjoy your time at the Guangzhou Trade Fair. Shall touch base with you shortly about it.

Oops!!!!  Sorry.......  ph34r.gif

Sim, I am arriving at HKG on 19 Oct 2005 for the Guangzhou Trade Fair, I will be staying at a hotel near Dongguan from around the 25-30 Oct instead of Guangzhou fearing that the hotel prices will be skyrocketed.  Will you around Dongguan by then?  By the way, is it safe to go to Meixian?  Thought I'd like to find out my ancestral link......  but think may not be a good idea.....

3715[/snapback]

Unless something very unexpected happens, I will be at Dongguan at that time. I supposed you would be looking to stay at Houjie area?? A lot of people stay there while having trade shows at Guangzhou. Commute time is around 1 hour or so.

Meixian I think is on the eastern side of Guangdong, very near Fujian province already. Most probably there will be a direct express bus service from where you want to live to Meixian. Traveling time may take around 5 hours I think.

Sign in to follow this