MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong WT

liquid restrictions at klia2?

why is it that at KUL you must remove the belt At SIN there is no need and at DXB its shoes and belt... sigh....

Belt buckles do trigger the beeps and some airports may have more sophisticated scanners that don't go off.

I found out it was my belt buckle that triggered the beeps at OOL some years back. The security officer did not frisk me - instead he did some troubleshooting. Only after my belt was removed did the machine stopped beeping.... Now, that is what I call diligence!

A few years back I was also asked to remove my shoes in BKK during security check. Not sure about the practice there now.

A few years back I was also asked to remove my shoes in BKK during security check. Not sure about the practice there now.

Believe this is subject to threat/risk/supervisor mood or hormone level at that time. As of last week, didn't remove my shoes.

Edited by KK Lee

why is it that at KUL you must remove the belt At SIN there is no need and at DXB its shoes and belt... sigh....

I believe the type of security depends on the country and how they perceived risk. At KUL, I believe the security check is tighten following MH370 incident.

The basics of security check at airports that I frequented the most:

KUL/KCH/BKI - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket. Do not have to remove shoes, laptop and carry on liquids.

LHR - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket, laptop has to be taken out and be put upside down in a separate tray. Carry on liquids has to be put in plastic bag provided by the airport authority and has to be taken out from the bag usually placed next to the laptop. Shoes do not have to be removed unless it triggers the beep or specifically requested by the officer.

JED - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket and shoes. Do not have to remove laptop and carry on liquids.

I always carry a rucksack (foldable kantung type of bag) inside my carry on lugagge and just stash everything that need to be removed inside it while queing at the xray machine. Simple.

LHR especially has a rather thorough security check and one needs to allocate up to half an hour for security check at peak times because as one of the leading, most important and busiest airports in the world, they have to ensure the safety is topnotch. We should not be complaining because it is done for our own good.

I believe security checks at US airports are even more painful. I never been to the US so I can't say much.

Whatever the security level or procedure at an airport - the biggest pet peeve i have is the security "macarena" - (imagine it in your head..)

Why can't people be prepared before they reach the xray machine? A rare few are , all ready and set to go.

Majority... only when they reach the xray, start to get prepared, holding up the line for everybody else... and doing my favourite dance move.... fiddling around in front pocket (sorry ya boss, didn't realise my coins are made of metal), back pocket, side pocket...... top pocket, ...hair.... heeeeey Macarena!!

LOL! Happens all the time especially with the pakcik and auntie type of travellers. In the West (sadly not in Malaysia), people respects other people's need to take their own time and personal space hence why you need to allocate half an hour for LHR because a pakcik can take up to 5 minutes for himself alone to perform the Macarena routine. Imagine queuing behind a group of pakcik and aunties from a kampung in Spain travelling back after their holidays and you are running late for boarding.

I think all MalaysianWings members are expert at security checks. 10 seconds and we are done.

Whatever the security level or procedure at an airport - the biggest pet peeve i have is the security "macarena" - (imagine it in your head..)

Why can't people be prepared before they reach the xray machine? A rare few are , all ready and set to go.

Majority... only when they reach the xray, start to get prepared, holding up the line for everybody else... and doing my favourite dance move.... fiddling around in front pocket (sorry ya boss, didn't realise my coins are made of metal), back pocket, side pocket...... top pocket, ...hair.... heeeeey Macarena!!

Frequent flyers should be more patient and excuse the occasional travelers! ;)

I do note that some of them do let you go through first when they are not ready.

Frequent flyers should be more patient and excuse the occasional travelers! ;)

Of course - not everyone is a mad steamroller in a hurry, but when i see cases where the fella brings a swiss army knife, gets it detected and argues with security officer "but why cannot?" "who says cannot?" "my uncle's wife's dog's grandmother's sister's friend from primary school brought a swiss army knife on Laker/Braniff/Ansett/Spanair (insert whichever obscure or bankrupt airline here) 15 years ago and you never say anything oso?" - that one i cannot tahan la.

Someone should come out with a plastic belt buckle or a temporary suspenders so that passengers don't have to struggle to keep their pants on during this checking.

For leisure travel, I wear pants with belt with plastic buckle - many outdoor clothing and climber pants comes with such belt.

Ya...kinda happened to me...had to hold up my jeans...at least it was a pleasant experience going through klia2...not as bad as lcct...just the terminal is so big that it was more of a hike than a leisurely stroll to the gate...

You definitely need those hikers pants for the long track upon arrival. Arrived at KLIA2 second time last Sunday and was extremely disappointed, which I didnt experience the first time I used it. Long elevator up upon embarkation. Very very long walk to immigration in wide walkway, aircon temperature was pretty hot even before hike. The lone 25m long dinosaur decided to take a nap that day. Then long elevator down to immigration. Upon arrival at customs, confusing and sempit space. A silly staff was there to direct traffic and tried to trick me into exceedingly long foreigner's lane. After sempit autogate clearance, a jungle of retail in more sempit spaces. Luggage claim area made more sempit by thousands of parked trolleys.. sweating buckets by now.. suffocatingly sempit sempit sempit !

All this while I was thinking, who designed this terminal? Is it so complicated to design a simple and functional terminal with current design technology? Why the clutter?? I could excuse a 30-40years old terminal for being difficult to navigate, not this new terminal. Then again, Changi T1 was opened in 1981 yet remained one of the best to pass through.

Morning rant done, back to work :-)

Edited by V Wong

The hold up AFTER the X-ray also gets me. They should take their stuff from the tray and move away from the machine. I've seen plenty of pax who try to grab their stuff before it's completely out of the machine, and just stand there waiting for the rest to come.

Sure, not everyone is a frequent flyer and I get that, but it's super annoying when you hold up the line to put on your belt, watch, cap, jacket, sunglasses, then proceed to repack your amenity kit/liquids after lamenting to the officer about that 1 liter bottle of shampoo that was confiscated. You don't need to be a frequent flyer to have some consideration.

I believe the type of security depends on the country and how they perceived risk. At KUL, I believe the security check is tighten following MH370 incident.

The basics of security check at airports that I frequented the most:

KUL/KCH/BKI - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket. Do not have to remove shoes, laptop and carry on liquids.

LHR - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket, laptop has to be taken out and be put upside down in a separate tray. Carry on liquids has to be put in plastic bag provided by the airport authority and has to be taken out from the bag usually placed next to the laptop. Shoes do not have to be removed unless it triggers the beep or specifically requested by the officer.

JED - To remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket and shoes. Do not have to remove laptop and carry on liquids.

I always carry a rucksack (foldable kantung type of bag) inside my carry on lugagge and just stash everything that need to be removed inside it while queing at the xray machine. Simple.

LHR especially has a rather thorough security check and one needs to allocate up to half an hour for security check at peak times because as one of the leading, most important and busiest airports in the world, they have to ensure the safety is topnotch. We should not be complaining because it is done for our own good.

I believe security checks at US airports are even more painful. I never been to the US so I can't say much.

Departing from any Malaysian Airports, remove belt, watches, chains, ring, bracelet, coins, jacket, Laptop and iPad need to take out and placed into a tray. Even departing from tiny airport like Lahad Datu or even domestic airport like LBU, same SOP.

You don't need to be a frequent flyer to have some consideration.

Civic consciousness is not high on the list of qualities of many people in this country. In countries like Japan, people are very aware of how their actions impact others around them, e.g. if they see you taking photos, they get out of the way so as not to spoil your photo. This kind of awareness is clearly seldom seen in this country.

Perhaps, one of the reasons why frequent flyers are irritated is because they are so familiar with the procedures and check in very close to their flights' boarding times. So any hold up will compound their impatience.

Sign in to follow this