MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Johan Z

A Day in the Life of Changi Airport

Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing this.

To me, Changi is the number 1 airport in the world, bar NONE, regardless of what sky-toiletpaper-trax says

If you HAVE to be stuck at an airport because of a delay, that airport would be Changi.

had spent a night on the landside last year. cannot sleep at all on the benches. The police on patrol will disturbed those who sleep at the airport. i had my passport and air ticket checked twice.

i feel Klia benches at the departure and observation deck are better, at least i had a deep sleep for 3 hours.

Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing this.

To me, Changi is the number 1 airport in the world, bar NONE, regardless of what sky-toiletpaper-trax says

If you HAVE to be stuck at an airport because of a delay, that airport would be Changi.

Totally agreed!!! KLIA is far behind and I always wonder how they ever win any awards at all given the incompetent staff and the lack of creativity of the airport operator. Who knows??

As a weekly KUL-SIN commuter I agree that Changi is a great airport however....

The number of delays seems to be increasing and its common to find that you can't push back from the gate due to the taxi way being full of aircraft departing. I'm not sure of the minimum take off time separation but it seems to be quite long. In addition I often find that the dual runway operation doesn't seem to be fully optimised. Lastly unlike KLIA you have to depart from the very end of the runway which adds taxi time. Does a lightly loaded A320 really need almost 4000m of runway?

had spent a night on the landside last year. cannot sleep at all on the benches. The police on patrol will disturbed those who sleep at the airport. i had my passport and air ticket checked twice.

i feel Klia benches at the departure and observation deck are better, at least i had a deep sleep for 3 hours.

As a Malaysian, I wish our airport officers are more stringent like this. It's annoying but it's for our safety and making sure only passengers with valid documents and boarding pass are allowed to hang around.

As a weekly KUL-SIN commuter I agree that Changi is a great airport however....

The number of delays seems to be increasing and its common to find that you can't push back from the gate due to the taxi way being full of aircraft departing. I'm not sure of the minimum take off time separation but it seems to be quite long. In addition I often find that the dual runway operation doesn't seem to be fully optimised. Lastly unlike KLIA you have to depart from the very end of the runway which adds taxi time. Does a lightly loaded A320 really need almost 4000m of runway?

Changi Airport is currently experiencing delays as their timeslot, especially during morning and evening rush hours, are almost maxed out. That's why they are constructing the T4 now; with T5 in plan. Two new runways will also be build to ease up the congestion at current two runways. If I am not mistaken, the take off separation time is 2.5 minutes for Changi Airport. The delay is so bad that our Firefly early morning flight will always get delayed if it doesn't push back on the dot.

Some newspaper clips we can refer to:

4fbw.jpg

to6h.jpg

4h21.jpg
ziv3.jpg
sy9t.jpg
yfsf.jpg
Unlike KLIA or our beloved MAHB, Singapore Changi Airport always think ahead into the future and their contractors are able to deliver on time. Once T4 and T5 are completed, Changi Airport will be capable of handling 150 million pax annually, roughly the same as Qatar's new Doha International Airport and Dubai World Centre. It would also easily eclipse KLIA and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Well, KLIA mainly tolerable because the passenger volume is low. It is not so good when the number of passengers is high (LCCT).

With SIN handling the number of passengers it does, the experience is excellent. Those who are departing and arriving are dealt with efficiently while those on transit will seldom feel bored. BKK is a long way behind (I would rate it even below KUL).

As for flight delays, even KUL can be bad during peak hours, with lots of planes on hold waiting for their landing slots. The same is happening at busy airports around the work, LHR, PEK, to name but a few...

I would agree with you and the going round in circles over Melaka is becoming more common.

Well, KLIA mainly tolerable because the passenger volume is low. It is not so good when the number of passengers is high (LCCT).

With SIN handling the number of passengers it does, the experience is excellent. Those who are departing and arriving are dealt with efficiently while those on transit will seldom feel bored. BKK is a long way behind (I would rate it even below KUL).

As for flight delays, even KUL can be bad during peak hours, with lots of planes on hold waiting for their landing slots. The same is happening at busy airports around the work, LHR, PEK, to name but a few...

Thanks, Im aware of the plans and slot issues however if a plane can depart LHR every 60 secs then why is SIN slow slow. Its really is become a joke to find 30-60 mins delays for a 45 min flight.

Changi Airport is currently experiencing delays as their timeslot, especially during morning and evening rush hours, are almost maxed out. That's why they are constructing the T4 now; with T5 in plan. Two new runways will also be build to ease up the congestion at current two runways. If I am not mistaken, the take off separation time is 2.5 minutes for Changi Airport. The delay is so bad that our Firefly early morning flight will always get delayed if it doesn't push back on the dot.

Some newspaper clips we can refer to:

4fbw.jpg

to6h.jpg

4h21.jpg
ziv3.jpg
sy9t.jpg
yfsf.jpg
Unlike KLIA or our beloved MAHB, Singapore Changi Airport always think ahead into the future and their contractors are able to deliver on time. Once T4 and T5 are completed, Changi Airport will be capable of handling 150 million pax annually, roughly the same as Qatar's new Doha International Airport and Dubai World Centre. It would also easily eclipse KLIA and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Thanks, Im aware of the plans and slot issues however if a plane can depart LHR every 60 secs then why is SIN slow slow.

That's because SIN ATC is:

a. KS (not kiasu, but kiasee)

b. not fully utilizing the runways effectively / efficiently. SIN almost never practice intersection departures. ATR/A320/B737 all have to taxi to the end of the runway and join the big boys for a 4,000m TORA Take-off.

That's because SIN ATC is:

a. KS (not kiasu, but kiasee)

b. not fully utilizing the runways effectively / efficiently. SIN almost never practice intersection departures. ATR/A320/B737 all have to taxi to the end of the runway and join the big boys for a 4,000m TORA Take-off.

I agree with you.

Last nights flights back to SIN was delayed with the incoming flight departing SIN around 50 mins late. The Captain blamed KL control for congestion. When I checked some of the other SIN-KUL lflights around that time they were not delayed by as much. sigh....

Sign in to follow this