MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Suzanne Goh

Xian MA-60 down in Kupang

Just got told by an MZ FO (who flies MA-60's) friend of mine - no details as of now except that it happened about 10 minutes ago.

All I got now is this grainy pic

6AF4E956-EE54-4D9C-A78D-CDB57F37ED22-517

Flight was MZ6517 BJW to KOE

Ouch; Thanks for the info Suzanne,Hope to hear more info about the incident.

Phew; Praises to Almighty God.From the condition of the plane,probably it's damaged beyond repair.

KUPANG, Indonesia— A plane carrying 46 passengers and crew landed so hard in eastern Indonesia that both engines smashed into the runway. An airport official said some passengers were hurt but no fatalities were reported.

The plane is operated by state-run Merpati Nusantara Airlines. Airport authority head Imam Pramono says the Chinese-made Xian MA60 twin turboprop aircraft landed hard Monday at El Tari airport in East Nusa Tenggara capital of Kupang. The airport will be closed until the plane can be removed.

Witnesses said at least eight people were injured and all were rushed to an air force hospital.

The cause of the incident is under investigation.

In May 2011, another MA60 aircraft flown by Merpati crashed into the ocean off eastern Indonesia, killing all 25 people on board.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/423827/merpati-plane-lands-hard-in-indonesia-no-deaths#ixzz2Vmwe0Axd

What could possibly be the cause? Too hard of a landing? Aircraft somehow stalled and dropped from higher than flare height?

Bad bounce/porpoising perhaps?

..... From the condition of the plane,probably it's damaged beyond repair.

From what that can be seen now, I think you're right :D

The plane is beyond repair as the fuselage is broken off. Surprise to know that the CPT of the plane is a Korean and only had 4 months experience on this type of aircraft.

From what that can be seen now, I think you're right :D

Looks like it's confirmed; she's now written off.

Even a nose wheel collapse wont break the aircraft into 2 and damage the wing like that..unless its made in china..

Too general and judgemental as a statement. :)

What could possibly be the cause? Too hard of a landing? Aircraft somehow stalled and dropped from higher than flare height?

Bad bounce/porpoising perhaps?

Theres the possibility of flaring to high n hard landing on the main wheel and cause the wing to nearly came off from the fuselage..anyways from the picture its still havent reach the 1000ft marker n just pass the piano key..abit off from the centerline..

Correct me if im wrong..

From the AV herald:

Accident: Merpati MA60 at Kupang on Jun 10th 2013, landed short of runway and broke up

A Merpati Nusantara Airlines Xian MA-60, registration PK-MZO performing flight MZ-6517 from Bajawa to Kupang (Indonesia) with 46 passengers and 4 crew, touched down short of Kupang's runway 07 at 09:40L (01:40Z), sheared off all landing gear, the propellers and engines contacted ground causing the wing to break apart and tilt. The aircraft came to a stop with the fuselage broken up in two parts just past the western threshold of the runway (07). One passenger was taken to a hospital with injuries.

http://avherald.com/h?article=46399869&opt=0

From the AV herald:

Accident: Merpati MA60 at Kupang on Jun 10th 2013, landed short of runway and broke up

A Merpati Nusantara Airlines Xian MA-60, registration PK-MZO performing flight MZ-6517 from Bajawa to Kupang (Indonesia) with 46 passengers and 4 crew, touched down short of Kupang's runway 07 at 09:40L (01:40Z), sheared off all landing gear, the propellers and engines contacted ground causing the wing to break apart and tilt. The aircraft came to a stop with the fuselage broken up in two parts just past the western threshold of the runway (07). One passenger was taken to a hospital with injuries.

http://avherald.com/h?article=46399869&opt=0

Sorry! Just realised this link has been posted by member Mulyadir Fitri in post #7

2 incidents involving MA-60 in a month time;Am I right? Do correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last month,even the similar aircraft involved in landing incident in Myanmar; as per link below:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/myanmar-grounds-ma60/705100.html#.UbglyzZzaOU.facebook

Indeed, in the past 5 years there have been 7 MA60 accidents, 4 of which resulted in hull-losses. Another fact to note is 6 of these accidents took place in ASEAN (2x Philippines, 2x Indonesia, 2x Myanmar) and the other in Bolivia. Specific details on each accident can be found here: http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Type=511

Not gonna speculate or sensationalise - only sticking to facts:

The Malaysian FO involved in the incident recommenced his line training again today. He is still flying with MZ. He was also PF on that fateful day, for what it's worth