MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Samoa Air to Charge by Body Weight

Spotted this on their website. World's first no doubt. :D

SamoaAir-1.jpg

SamoaAir-2.jpg

===

haha I made a joke in the early 90s about this and apparently it is very insulting for some.

I saw this coming 20 years ago!

Most Samoans are big-sized! The airfares will be really high! Must remember to go on a diet before flying with them... LOL

Make sense for Samoa. Samoans and most Polynesians are usually big people (not necessarily fat, just big) so the standard weight can't be applied to the group. Especially with weight-sensitive small aircraft.

With a plane that small, only 2 typical-sized Samoans will be able to fit in there!

Last time MH rural air service using twin otters, need to weight people together with their luggage too..

If too heavy, have to leave some luggage behind.

Now I'm not sure whether they still do that or not as my hometown has been upgraded to ATR 72, but I would think this is still the case with twin otters.

ON THE ROAD
Airlines Weigh The Pounds

By JOE SHARKEY
Published: April 8, 2013

Southwest Airlines, for example, has a carefully worded “Customers of Size” guideline that says in part: “Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel” or, failing that, have the option of “discussing their seating needs with the customer service agent at their departure gate.”

READ THE FULL STORY HERE: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/business/airlines-weigh-costs-and-passenger-pounds-on-the-road.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The airlines can charge more for the wider seats. Another less vulgar way to extract as much $$$ from pax as possible!

Wrong calculations of the passengers and payload weight is no joking matter. So as positioning the cargo in the plane. Too much aft loaded, the plane may have difficulty taking off.

That's why some time ago, both passenger and goods are weighed together. I remembered Lat's cartoons did depicts such thing too..haha

Inevitable!

===

Samoan airline introduces 'XL' class

(AFP) – 36 minutes ago

WELLINGTON — A tiny Samoan airline says it will introduce an "XL" class for super-sized passengers, featuring extra-wide rows and special ramps to help them reach their seats.

Samoa Air has already pioneered a world first when late last year it began charging passengers fares based on how much they weigh, rather than a set price for each seat.

Chief executive Chris Langton said the measure had proved a success and the airline now planned to provide a special service so passengers weighing more than 130 kilograms (287 pounds) could travel in greater comfort.

"Quite often the access is difficult and... after you've squeezed into the seats there's no room for your legs," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"We don't have a large fleet of aeroplanes, but we wanted to do something that recognises that we are thinking about this."

He said rows in the new class had been extended to make them 12-14 inches (30-35 centimetres) wider, with customised ramps introduced to make access to them easier.

"It's sort of like a three-seat couch," he said.

MORE: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iW9bFsqIJWwjsZHQ-yRj3CXt4yGQ?docId=CNG.3675c938fe5a87ea9900cdd39a1967e9.3f1

Most Samoans are big-sized! The airfares will be really high! Must remember to go on a diet before flying with them... LOL

Use to work in the Pacific, there are BIG :pardon: , it was there that I know there is something call "Seat Belt Extension'. The normal fitted seat belt cannot fit them.

Use to work in the Pacific, there are BIG :pardon: , it was there that I know there is something call "Seat Belt Extension'. The normal fitted seat belt cannot fit them.

Apparently they are more prone to get diabetes due to their diet... mostly consist of meat...

Apparently they are more prone to get diabetes due to their diet... mostly consist of meat...

Generally a diet disproportionately rich in meat (proteins) should not predispose to diabetes (though I should hasten to add that isn't particularly healthy either :))

There is probably a starch/carbohydrate-rich component in their diet that is more likely the culprit, diabetes-wise that is :)

Generally a diet disproportionately rich in meat (proteins) should not predispose to diabetes (though I should hasten to add that isn't particularly healthy either :))

There is probably a starch/carbohydrate-rich component in their diet that is more likely the culprit, diabetes-wise that is :)

Such as rice? Don't think they eat rice though

Such as rice? Don't think they eat rice though

Nope my friend! The staple food there are taro, yam, sweet potato and boiled bananas. All these are eaten with meat and if you see them pouring the table salt on their meals you will faint :nea: They can also drink 1.5 bottle of coke at one go plus gallons of beer. No joke..... :drinks:

Doc Izanee the cardiologist should consider having a practice there then (not for the diet though, I don't think) :D

There should be such a large pool of specimens patients to practice upon :D

Sign in to follow this