MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Old News from Newspaper Archive

I've been browsing scanned images of old Malaysian newspapers in the fantastic Google archive, and spotted some interesting stuff.

So here are the first two ... anybody found anything (aviation-related) interesting from that archive, pls post here too. Quite interesting to read how things were, say 40 years ago! :)

522398_630727480277289_157216825_n.jpg

625470_630752663608104_246473563_n.jpg

45 daily flights?? That has got to be the most frequent ever for any city pairs.

Wonder how many flights are there nowadays between KUL/SZB-SIN by all carriers combined.

Google news archive is very valuable, in terms of aviation related news the ones I found so far are:

- In 1980's, planned Concorde charter flight to BKI as part of the round the world tour, but was later dropped. :)

- The Tanjung Kupang incident.

- A hijacked airliner landed in BKI for refueling before continuing to middle east. Happened somewhere in 70's. The hijackers were Southern Philippines separatist group.

- Pan Am flying boat made its maiden voyage to Singapore, somewhere in 1940's.

- A US Air Force aircraft en route to BKI crashed in South China Sea, but the crew were rescued by Vietnamese fishermen.

45 daily flights! Wow. I really missed (for a while) the super early and super late KUL-SIN-KUL runs - until now where at least AK has them covered.

MSA and their successors, MAS and SIA, used to have YN (night economy) fares at RM 29.50.

The flights are those that depart early in the morning (first flight) and late at night (last flight).

MSA and their successors, MAS and SIA, used to have YN (night economy) fares at RM 29.50.

The flights are those that depart early in the morning (first flight) and late at night (last flight).

RM29.50 nowadays.....2 plates of Nando's 1/4 meal with 2 sidelines, plus 2 drinks....

Wow, had no idea MH started off KUL-BKI with 3x weekly only :shok:

(journalistic goof-off or typo notwithstanding)

I found these screenies of my own Google archive searches from the 90s:

screenshot20120901at120.png

I guess in 1990 RM 3,500 was big money.

screenshot20120901at121.png

How times have changed!

screenshot20120901at122.png

Flying through HNL to LAX twice weekly - anybody knew when did they reroute to NRT/TPE?

Sign in to follow this