MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

AirAsia calls for truly low-cost hub for Kota Kinabalu

An old timer's take on issue:

Adlin: Tony also owes much to Sabah
Published on: Friday, February 21, 2014
Kota Kinabalu: Although Sabah's tourism industry owes much to AirAsia's contribution in bringing millions of tourists, the low cost airline should remember what the State Government had done for them in the past.

Tourism industry veteran Tengku Datuk Zainal Adlin said while it is true that Sabah needs AirAsia badly to support its booming tourism industry, it was also the Sabah Government that had supported AirAsia founder Tan Sri Tony Fernandes at a time when nobody gave him two hoots.

from: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=88465

If push really comes to shove, I have a funny feeling the state gahmen may need to end up paying for the differences in PSC between T1 and T2

Maybe call it as some sort of sweetener by the tourism promotion body or something :)

I think TF is really squaring up to MAHB. I don't think he can take any more delays in klia2 anymore. Since he is fighting them, might as well make it a comprehensive fight!

With both eyes close, if ever there is a sweetener it will ultimately come from our pocket. So in a way we are pre-paying for airport taxes. Does AK still honour refund for airport taxes in case of no show?

With both eyes close, if ever there is a sweetener it will ultimately come from our pocket. So in a way we are pre-paying for airport taxes. Does AK still honour refund for airport taxes in case of no show?

Only for international flights. There is a fee of RM15 for refund request. I claimed a few before this

Whatever the decision will be, they need to solve this quick. T2 is a disaster, much worse than KUL's LCCT.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

I think MAHB can just say that LCC Airport Tax will remain the same as for T2. That and offer incentives to airlines that bring in pax volume - they could offer those incentive packages that KLIA offered in the past.

That will cancel TF's objections - end of argument.

There is no surprise if wayang kulit is in the play, in the name of people and tourism industry, CM took pity of cattle pen, will give a grant or soft loan to MAHB to build a new T2 at BKI. New contract, new terminal, new road, new franchise, etc everyone is happy.

More than 6.9 million passengers use BKI last year. AK guests must be contributing significantly to BKI pax traffic. Just imagine the consequences if the PSC is increased.

I think MAHB can just say that LCC Airport Tax will remain the same as for T2

Will that not open floodgates for other carriers currently operating from T1 to demand a reduction in airport tax imposed on their pax ? :)

AK guests must be contributing significantly to BKI pax traffic. Just imagine the consequences if the PSC is increased.

Yes for sure AK group pax make up a big bulk of BKI traffic, but I can't help but guess the apocalyptic scenario presented by TSTF in event the PSC is increased, is but a bit overdone. Could be preparatory work for upcoming spats :)

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/airasia-boss-and-transport-minister-in-social-media-battle

(note that bit near bottom of article about review of PSC)

Edited by BC Tam

I went to Terminal 1 early this morning to send-off my aunt back to KL. On the way to McDonald's for breakfast, I found this. I am not sure how long has MAHB been reserving this for AK. I think the entire check-in counters E are also reserved for the airline because check-in counters D alone cannot cope with so many passengers.

Reserved_AK_check_in_counters.jpg

It’s never my intention to pull out routes to Sabah – AirAsia boss

Posted on March 1, 2014, Saturday

KOTA KINABALU: Low cost carrier, AirAsia, is here to stay, its chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, said yesterday.

His statement refuted earlier claim that AirAsia would cease operations in Sabah should the airline be forced to move to Terminal 1 of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport.

read the rest here: http://www.theborneopost.com/2014/03/01/its-never-my-intention-to-pull-out-routes-to-sabah-airasia-boss/#ixzz2urSUWUPm

Well, has some sort of deal been struck yet you think ?! :)

Or shall we wait for the bear hugs before jumping to that conclusion ?

Edited by BC Tam

Sign in to follow this