MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

When MH says: No more widebodies for domestic

I think I've only ever caught a widebody on a domestic flight in Malaysia. It was an A332 from KUL to PEN. It made a very nice change. ;)

I remember flying on an MH A333 from KUL to ICN. Instead of booking KUL / ICN, i chose KUL / BKI / ICN for the same price. At least managed to experience the domestic leg on the international flight.

Edited by tktoh

Wide body aircraft should be deployed on on KUL - KCH & KUL - BKI routes nowadays..

Why?

If MH puts wide bodies on these routes, it will have to cut frequencies since the A330 flights are never full. With heavy wide bodies, it is more important to fill the planes because the break even point is higher for each flight.

MH has stated that their most economic aircraft is the B738, vital if MH is to recover from its massive losses of 2011. Since airports like KCH and BKI are not congested, it may be better to increase frequency for the convenience of the travelling public.

Given A33E CASK is lower than 738 and A320, MH could fill A33E on KUL-BKI and KUL-KCH during peak hour with cheaper fare.

Given A33E CASK is lower than 738 and A320, MH could fill A33E on KUL-BKI and KUL-KCH during peak hour with cheaper fare.

Are you sure?

I suspect the CASK is lower on the longer routes - around 6 hours flying time is the sweet spot.

I remember learning that in school, and it was stated in history textbook. But, most students would be ignorant about it anyway. Back to topic, widebodies may no longer be in fixed schedule, but increased frequency should results in more utilization of airport gates, considering the traffic at BKI T1 nowadays.

I guess we are blessed that we have internet these days for those willing to find out why:

http://en.wikipedia....point_agreement

The broad assumption is that if you are a citizen of a country you should have unrestricted access to every corner of your country. That assumption is mostly true but there are some exception. In China, for example, as well as in most East Asian countries (Japan, Koreas and Taiwan), they carry a sub-citizenship or family registry called "Huji" or "Hukou" in China, "Hoju" in Koreas (abolised in 2008 in S Korea), "Ho Khau" in Vietnamese or "Koseki" in Japanese, which dictates where you originate from and where you are entitled to live and work. For example, someone from Beijing may not be able to live in Shanghai, until they have gone through the hurdles or bureaucracies. I guess Sabah and Sarawak's sub-citizenship works in the same way.

Edited by S V Choong

Why?

If MH puts wide bodies on these routes, it will have to cut frequencies since the A330 flights are never full. With heavy wide bodies, it is more important to fill the planes because the break even point is higher for each flight.

MH has stated that their most economic aircraft is the B738, vital if MH is to recover from its massive losses of 2011. Since airports like KCH and BKI are not congested, it may be better to increase frequency for the convenience of the travelling public.

I've been on MH2617 multiple times which is A333 operated for BKI-KUL it has always been full even during off peak season on the economy class with just 2-3 seats empty. Or maybe the old A333 has been too fuel consuming for them. Either way BKI is another white elephant which is widebody ready but there's hardly any widebodies coming in. Edited by jahur

I've been on MH2617 multiple times which is A333 operated for BKI-KUL it has always been full even during off peak season on the economy class with just 2-3 seats empty. Or maybe the old A333 has been too fuel consuming for them. Either way BKI is another white elephant which is widebody ready but there's hardly any widebodies coming in.

OK it looks like you are on full flights while others (jcameron) can put their bags on empty seats on the KCH flgihts.

I would have thought that a good reason for using wide bodies is to increase aircraft utilisation - this was what SQ are doing with the KUL-SIN A333s. If MH is getting high load factors on the KUL-BKI-KUL services, then they should reconsider the decision.

Perhaps they have worked out how they can better utilise the A333s and that is why they can't deploy it on domestic routes anymore?

OK it looks like you are on full flights while others (jcameron) can put their bags on empty seats on the KCH flgihts.

I would have thought that a good reason for using wide bodies is to increase aircraft utilisation - this was what SQ are doing with the KUL-SIN A333s. If MH is getting high load factors on the KUL-BKI-KUL services, then they should reconsider the decision.

Perhaps they have worked out how they can better utilise the A333s and that is why they can't deploy it on domestic routes anymore?

It might be possible MAS is anticipating to fully utilize the newer A330s for full deployment regional and international routes which results the older A333 to be removed from the fleet sooner than expected thus explains the removal of widebody deployment into the domestic flights. I just hope MAS replaces the Eqv with the newer B737-800 instead from the B737-400 which is displayed on the booking engine. Edited by jahur

Sign in to follow this