MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Firefly celebrates fifth year with expansion plans and more planes and revival of jet operation

TF wouldn't be too happy if FY were to allowed to operate jets out of SZB, especially since they failed to make SZB their hub...

but considering that E-170 have almost the same capacity as ATR-72 then there is no good reason for him to feel unsatisfied

He could then argue "it's not the capacity, it's the powerplant."

if he really interested in subang and competing firefly, he would've had propeller there in airasia's livery, but he did not. anyway he is jakarta right now and seems more interested for something bigger.

but considering that E-170 have almost the same capacity as ATR-72 then there is no good reason for him to feel unsatisfied

It is not a question of capacity. It is a question of it being a jet.

Turboprops are slower, so no threat to jets.

Besides, SZB is already a no commercial jet zone. That was why AK were kicked out of SZB - they operate commercial jets!

if he really interested in subang and competing firefly, he would've had propeller there in airasia's livery, but he did not. anyway he is jakarta right now and seems more interested for something bigger.

Correct, he is not interested in competing with Firefly turboprop. But if it is Firefly jet, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will encroach on AK's territory!

But knowing Tan Sri TF, some noise will be made.

Although will the E-jets be a problem maybe - no aerobridge?

how about bombardier CRJ? they have stairs

Besides, SZB is already a no commercial jet zone. That was why AK were kicked out of SZB - they operate commercial jets!

Correct, he is not interested in competing with Firefly turboprop. But if it is Firefly jet, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will encroach on AK's territory!

make sense!

do subang really cant handle a small jet (50-70 seat)? or its just the medium size like A320 and B737?

Edited by fenandri

so means if FY operating jet with let say only 16 seats also he will make noise as long as it is jet?

The main reason why Firefly jet operated out of KUL was because they cannot do that in SZB.

The Subang area is now a residential area and scheduled airlines can only operate turbo props. Local residents already complain about the TUDM airshow aircraft (the SU-30s and MiG-29s) being too noisy.

So if FY wants to operete scheduled jets again, they will still need to fly out of KUL.

Edited by flee

The main reason why Firefly jet operated out of KUL was because they cannot do that in SZB.

The Subang area is now a residential area and scheduled airlines can only operate turbo props. Local residents already complain about the TUDM airshow aircraft (the SU-30s and MiG-29s) being too noisy.

So if FY wants to operete scheduled jets again, they will still need to fly out of KUL.

But to be fair - is the noise of the GE CF34 powering the ERJ-170 the same as a CFM56? I sincerely doubt it.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I hope they get the Q400.

The ATR72-500 is so much better than the Dash8-Q400. If FY were to replace their ATR72-500s, it should be with the ATR72-600s!

As for regional jet aircraft, the E170/E190 are really good. Spacious and comfortable. I loved flying on these birds with Virgin. If I had a choice, I always choose Virgin's E190 (they don't have the E170s anymore) over Qantas' Q400s.

But to be fair - is the noise of the GE CF34 powering the ERJ-170 the same as a CFM56? I sincerely doubt it.

Well I think frequency of flights has something to do with it too. If SZB gets too busy, its not only the noise but also traffic congestion in the area.

The Subang airport road is quite jammed up during peak hours and it is worse if it rains. I don't think passengers will appreciate being stuck in traffic jams while travelling to the airport.

A jet is still a jet. Even the biz jets flying overhead can be a nuisance too. It might not be loud but try having a number of flights taking off daily. I live right under the flight path of RWY 15 departures so I know how the residents would feel. I can still remember the glory days of SZB where one would have to put a phone call on hold just to wait for a departing aircraft to leave the area. But I for one, don't mind the sound pollution.

Lets not forget about TF's Caterham Jet which is setting its base up at Subang with a fleet of CRJ's (although will operate in a premium configuration).

Q400 is a great plane, however with its extra speed and operating costs comes a substantially higher acquisition/leasing cost. It really is a whole different animal to the ATR-72. The true benefits of the Q400 come over longer stage lengths (eg USM-SZB).

The E170 on the other hand has a few issues, hopefully the planned improvements will iron out some the bugs and reduce its fuel consumption.

Well I think frequency of flights has something to do with it too. If SZB gets too busy, its not only the noise but also traffic congestion in the area.

The Subang airport road is quite jammed up during peak hours and it is worse if it rains. I don't think passengers will appreciate being stuck in traffic jams while travelling to the airport.

i heard gov will extend the komuter station, connecting subang airport to city?

Lets not forget about TF's Caterham Jet which is setting its base up at Subang with a fleet of CRJ's (although will operate in a premium configuration).

Is this plan still on? With this maybe FY would be able to operate small jets out of SZB. the airport can limit the number of flights and duration that the airport is open for business.

I was told in a few years the occupants in Subang will be kicked to LCC@ KLIA once KLIA 2 is completed.

Reason being the Sg Besi airbase occupants need to move to Subang Skypark.......is this true ?

I was told in a few years the occupants in Subang will be kicked to LCC@ KLIA once KLIA 2 is completed.

Reason being the Sg Besi airbase occupants need to move to Subang Skypark.......is this true ?

Why would they need to move? RMAF Subang has ample space for the assortment of helis operating in Sg. Besi.

Firefly may revive jet operations

Turboprop operator Firefly could revive plans to bring jets back to its fleet, says its chief executive officer Ignatius Ong.

He adds that the carrier will definitely consider going back to jet operations but is currently working with MAS to decide on the best strategy for the whole group.

Firefly had briefly operated Boeing 737s but its parent Malaysia Airlines (MAS) took over last year as part of a plan to "realign the group's businesses".

The decision came after a share swap agreement made with AirAsia last August to stop almost 10 years of acrimonious competition. The deal, however, was terminated in April this year.

There have also been talks to convert Firefly into a true low-cost carrier to take on competition in the market segment, but any decision will only be made after MAS returns to profitability, says Ong.

Firefly, which operates a fleet of 12 ATR72-500s from its bases in Subang and Penang, will focus on growing its network and increasing its load factor for now.

Ong's aim is for the carrier's load factor to hit 95%. He hopes that the carrier will dominate short-haul point-to-point routes popular with businessmen and tourists. It launched new services on the Kota Bahru-Singapore and Penang-Koh Samui routes this month, and is also increasing frequencies on several others.

He believes there is room to grow in Malaysia, especially in Johor, where the Iskandar development project is expected to bring much traffic with it. When asked about competitors like AirAsia, Ong says Firefly offers "a different product proposition".

He adds: "Malaysia has a population of 27 million. We can accommodate a couple more airlines if we need to. We will face up to the challenge."

The carrier is keen to be a launch customer for ATR's new generation 90-seater turboprop, which is still in works, and is in talks with the manufacturer now.

"We'll need to make an order within the next two to three years. The larger aircraft will also allow us to add capacity without adding frequency, which is good for services to destinations like Singapore where slots are limited," says Ong.

SOURCE:http://www.flightglo...rations-375450/

The Embraer 190 or the CRJ-1000 would be great. I've been on both and they are both very nice and comfortable.

"We'll need to make an order within the next two to three years. The larger aircraft will also allow us to add capacity without adding frequency, which is good for services to destinations like Singapore where slots are limited," says Ong.

SOURCE:http://www.flightglo...rations-375450/

Are the slots at Changi really restricted?

Are the slots at Changi really restricted?

Yes it is. Lack of departure gates and take-off slots during peak hours.

Yes it is. Lack of departure gates and take-off slots during peak hours.

Yes, as what Albert said. During peak period in the morning and late midnight, you can see a lot of aircraft lining up to take off. A third runway is really needed!

Sign in to follow this