MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X launches Empty Seat Option

AirAsia X has launched a new “Empty Seat Option” (ESO), enabling guests to book unoccupied seats next to them, by paying a small fee, for extra comfort.

This ancillary offering, which is currently only available for online bookings, is sure to be embraced by passengers on a low-cost long-haul flight.

To opt for the ESO, passengers making bookings online simply have to select “Upgrade with Optiontown” under the flight information section. Upon selecting the ESO, passengers will need to enter their current flight booking number and pay a sign-up fee of US$0.9 in additional to the ESO fee that varies between US$20 and US$50 depending on the destination and time of travel.

If the empty seat is available, a confirmation will be emailed to the passenger before departure. If it is unavailable, the fee will be refunded automatically.

This innovation comes shortly after the carrier launched an upgrade option enabling passengers to pay a small fee and upgrade to a flatbed premium.

Azran Osman-Rani, chief executive of AirAsia X, said: “AirAsia X remains focused on maintaining its global leadership position in the low cost long-haul segment. I believe the ESO will be a great addition to our family of ancillary products which will further increase our ancillary revenue stream.”

Source: http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/airasia-x-launches-empty-seat-option

What will happen if, say, the flight is 50% empty and nobody pays for the option? Everybody bunch up at one end of the plane?

So, AirAsia have 3 seats per row, if someone sitting on the aisle/window seat chose the empty seat option, that means the other person seating on the opposite end doesn't have to pay? I found it's a bit hard to make it working and a bit unfair if the flight was empty and you chose the empty seat option.

So, AirAsia have 3 seats per row, if someone sitting on the aisle/window seat chose the empty seat option, that means the other person seating on the opposite end doesn't have to pay? I found it's a bit hard to make it working and a bit unfair if the flight was empty and you chose the empty seat option.

That is why - pay-on-board. Must pay if you want to sit all by yourself.

Unless you go occupy one of the loos - but that would be rather unsociable :p

Doesn't mention in article you have to pay on board. Unless I missed it, you choose it during online booking.

Nope, you bid for it in Optiontown. If you are successful, you will be informed. That is how Optiontown works - you are only allowed to buy at a discount if they cannot sell at full price.

Anyway, I am not too bothered about this. While the premium seat may be worth bidding for, I don't think I want to pay extra for the empty seat next door.

Nope, you bid for it in Optiontown. If you are successful, you will be informed. That is how Optiontown works - you are only allowed to buy at a discount if they cannot sell at full price.

Anyway, I am not too bothered about this. While the premium seat may be worth bidding for, I don't think I want to pay extra for the empty seat next door.

Bidding..so Ebay on AirAsia now? :D

Hmm... I wonder how they going to report their load factor... 1 person occupying 3 seats? So does the load factor going to report per traveller or per occupied seats?

Load factor should report as per pax. Optiontown sales for the two extra seats will report as ancillary income.

Sign in to follow this