MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Longer Wait For Arrivals at KLIA due to Customs

From todays Star:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/1/27/nation/10546006&sec=nation

PETALING JAYA: Passengers arriving at KLIA may be delayed by an hour to give Customs officers more time to check for drugs.

Customs Department assistant director-general Datuk Zainul Abidin Taib said more time was needed to conduct a thorough check.

“We will get passengers to form a line and it might take a little longer before they can exit.

“This will give Customs officers more time to check for drugs and other illegal substances,” he told reporters after attending the national-level World Customs Day celebration.

Zainul Abidin said it was still a proposal and talks were ongoing with Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) and other agencies.

He added that a more stringent procedure was necessary as the number of drug smuggling cases in KLIA had increased.

“We are also planning to get a high-tech machine at KLIA which can better detect drugs,’’ he said, adding that last year, 92 arrests were made in KLIA and a total of RM183mil worth of drugs were seized.

On another matter, Zainul Abidin said his department was investigating a report that RM20mil in contraband cigarettes originating from Malaysia were seized by Greek authorities at the port of Piraeus recently.

He said initial checks found the party responsible for the shipment had declared that it was exporting cigarettes via Port Klang.

“They have not contravened any laws here but we have yet to determine the nature of their declaration with the Greek authorities,” he said.

According to reports, the name on the transport documents was false.

Hopefully the aim is to target on drugs and other illegal substances trafficking, not for tax revenue purpose (eg. goods purchased overseas that subject to tax) or food products :p

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

I read somewhere a few years ago that KLIA only had 3 sniffer dogs for the whole airport. Is this still true? No wonder KUL has become smugglers' transit point.

I read somewhere a few years ago that KLIA only had 3 sniffer dogs for the whole airport. Is this still true? No wonder KUL has become smugglers' transit point.

And I think the dog was to detect pirated CDs not drugs.....

Malaysian travellers ready to wait a little longer for the sake of security

By TERENCE TOH

terence.toh@thestar.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR: When it comes to airport security, many Malaysians feel that giving up a little comfort is better than risking serious harm.

Although invasive, stricter baggage checks are seen as a necessary step to combat drug trafficking attempts.

“If it helps to keep the streets clean of drugs, I don't mind waiting slightly longer,” said chef Lim Sue Yin, 25, who travels by air regularly.

“As long as it prevents vice in the long run, I am for it.”

It was reported that the Customs Department was proposing more stringent procedures for its officers to search luggage for drugs.

This could cause KL International Airport passengers delayed for up to an hour after their arrival.

However, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad and the department are thinking of ways to ensure that any inconvenience will be kept to the minimum.

Malaysian Association of Tour and Trade Agents (MATTA) president Datuk Mohd Khalid Harun said the new procedures would only seriously affect drug traffickers and not deter tourists.

“Malaysia has been noted for drug trafficking for too long.

“We have to show that we are serious about tackling the issue,” said Mohd Khalid, who is also Federation of Asean Travel Associations president.

He added that similar strict measures were being implemented in other Asean countries, such as the Philippines.

Tourism Malaysia acting director-general Datuk Azizan Noordin said the extra checks were for the benefit of Malaysians.

“The country's security and image are very important,” he said.

However, not all air travellers are supportive of the idea.

Internet entrepeneur Edmund Loh, 25, who flies from KLIA up to nine times a year, said he was strongly against the proposal.

“I am all for Customs regulating airport safety.

“However, to catch drug traffickers, who are a tiny minority, at the expense of a largely innocent crowd of passengers does not sound like a good idea.”

Project engineer T. Kamahlaan, 27, said he felt that the airport security here was adequate, and longer checks would inconvenience passengers.

http://thestar.com.m...0314&sec=nation

Chinese Customs at HGH deploy K9 at luggage conveyor belt without causing any delay or inconvenience to pax. Don't see why there is a need for longer wait at KUL.

err...just got back from BWN......there was no security check at all.....everyone...every single passengers went thru 'Green Lane'...Custom Officers couldn't be bothered to do checks at all...just waved their hands 'Pass'....'Pass'....Oxymoron no?

Despite stringent checks we still hear of drug bust at KLIA almost everyday. Good business?

Sign in to follow this