MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Pilots fail test for small planes, but get big ones to fly

NEW DELHI: Imagine a person found misfit to drive a small car being allowed to get behind the wheels of a big truck. If that sounds scary, hear this. The aviation safety regulator has found that some trainees who failed to become co-pilots or qualify as commanders on single-aisle Boeing 737 on Air India's budget arm AI Express were taken by the parent company to fulfil their dream on the widebody Boeing 777 that flies long-haul routes.

All the pilots so favoured were sent on deputation from AI to AI Express. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) made this startling discovery when it audited the low-cost carrier (LCC) last September. "The records revealed that (two) captains failed (in AI Express)... during Instructor evaluation of DGCA (and were) recommended 200 hours of flying before the next attempt. These two were taken for a direct command on the widebodied Boeing-777 aircraft," the report says.

There are more shockers. "A P-2 (co-pilot) who failed in two attempts has now been taken up as P-2 (co-pilot) on Boeing-777, subsequently to be trained as commander on that type." And this one's scarier: "A pilot had a history of problems during landings (in AI Express) which were not addressed properly in training... it subsequently (led to) an incident with six bounces in a landing. This captain has also been taken up for command on Boeing-777 (in AI)."

If you wonder how such favouritism that compromises safety was allowed, here's the answer. AI Express was set as an LCC in 2004 under a separate licence but has over the years become a training ground aspiring pilots. (Insiders allege senior AI employees have used AI Express to fast-track the career of their pilot children.)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Pilots-fail-test-for-small-planes-but-get-big-ones-to-fly/articleshow/11573872.cms

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Incredible India?

In 1998 I caught an Australian Pilot who was employed by MH after successfully going through the interview process. During training he encountered some problems, not handling but more on flight management and he was sent tomy office for counselling.

I discovered that in his 20 years flying 'career' he was endorsed on too many aircraft, almost 2-3 types a year which made me curious. Most of his flying activities were in the Pacific ( Fiji, Marshall Islands etc ) and the Carribean, and records were hard to find.

However on scrutinising his logbooks I found sufficient irregularities that gave me confidence to kick him out, so I advised HR to do so.

He left peacefully, and later, on his return to Australia, I was informed that the Aussie Police raided his house and found all sorts of certificates and rubber stamps bearing the insignias of various aviation authorities. He eventually was charged and went to jail.

This kind of falsification of Pilots' documents although not widespread, is not uncommon. With increased automation, both in aircraft and environment, flying has become easy, the trend is more towards scenario management rather than dexterity in manhandling the aircraft.

It is not inconcievable for someone with slightly above average intelligence after spending time playing flight simulators, to be trained to fly a B777 or A330 directly as P2, and later, after a couple of years, be P1 and operate the jetliner with sufficient competency from take=off to landing.

Basic training now is slowly becoming irrelevant as in about 20-30 years, airliners will have all sorts of flight envelop protection that 'consequent misbehaviour' of flying physics can be nullified.

But the Indian scenario takes the cake.

So it would appear that the situation that we have on the roads may be replicated in the air if authorities are not vigilant. Airlines (like those in India) may be seeking to cut costs and are willing to forego stringent checks.

The demand for pilot outstrips supply. Therefore some resort to sub-standard qualification. During boom period, Go Air, Indigo, Kingfisher, Air India ordered thousands of new aircraft, now its biting them back.....

...... During boom period, Go Air, Indigo, Kingfisher, Air India ordered thousands of new aircraft, now its biting them back.....

I suspect Indian airlines are not alone in this respect :)

I suspect Indian airlines are not alone in this respect :)

For India-based airlines, the situation is more chronic as there is obviously an oversupply of seats. Every airlines was/is overly ambitious about the so-called huge potential growth of Indian economy thus its aviation industry as well. What they failed to notice it the lack of modern infrastructures and human resources to support this kind of humongous growth of theirs.

Indigo purchased 150 A320s, Paramount Airways with their new Embraers, Kingfisher five each of every Airbus products etc with tens of A320s, Spicejet another 100+ B737s, Jet Airways 50-80+ of new Airbus and Boeing jet, Air India and Indian Airlines more than 200 new jets.....all these orders were done in anticipation to expand their own market share thus kill off some of the current players. But only mergers and acquisition had happened. Numbers of planes kept increasing as older types retired.

They fail on small aircraft coz of no automation and more difficult to fly than the fully autopilotes widebodies...just my 2 sen...

In India, anything can be bluffed as long as you have the monies and the right connections. Everything can be fast-tracked. Where do you think the movie script writers got their ideas from ?

As long as your bluff is believable, you are through and obviously a little help from some connections and monies does make it a lot easier.

Sign in to follow this