MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

AirAsia to Scrap Check-in Fee for International Flights

Hmmm... I didnt see this coming although the need to check docs creates some pretty big queues and often takes as long a normal checkin

http://www.bt.com.bn...ee-intl-flights

AirAsia to scrap manual check-in fee for int'l flights KUALA LUMPURSaturday, December 10, 2011

AIRASIA Bhd will abolish the RM10 ($4.10) manual check-in fee for international flights by next month, Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes (pictured) said yesterday.

He said the budget carrier was also looking at revising the convenience charges levied on AirAsia passengers.

Fernandes, however, said the check-in fee would remain for domestic flights as the flights were hassle-free, thus, there was no reason for travellers to check-in via the website.

"International flights require more paper work and identification process, so we have decided to stop charging the passengers," he said after opening AirAsia's 35th Travel and Service Centre, a one-stop franchised travel and service centre offering flight and hotel bookings and tour arrangements at KL City Walk, near Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

Fernandes said the centres would facilitate AirAsia travellers to have easy access to flight schedules, products and services.

"Although these centres are handled by independent operators, the public can be rest assured that they are fully authorised and will adhere to high service standards set by AirAsia.

"The centres are designed to cater to 'offline' customers' needs, people without access to our website and are unable to do their own booking at home," he said. Bernama

Contrary to what a lot of people say, AirAsia does listen to customer feedback. This is not the first time they have reversed unpopular decisions. The last significant one I can remember was when AirAsia X got rid of their A330's non-reclining seats.

Ha, nice! Since MAHB has increased the tax on international flights, it makes AK to abolish the check in fee.

Contrary to what a lot of people say, AirAsia does listen to customer feedback. This is not the first time they have reversed unpopular decisions. The last significant one I can remember was when AirAsia X got rid of their A330's non-reclining seats.

The whole episode of AirAsia vs. MAHB produced some good outcome. While TF criticised MAHB, public also hit back at TF for the many charges AK has. Hope AK will scrapped if not lower the convenience fee......and other charges as well. :)

Well, lets hope the whole drama is behind us now as we move ahead to strengthen KL as a major aviation hub. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Flee, yea, I took a return flight with D7 with non reclining seats. Am glad that I survived the ordeal and can still feel my butt.... :blink: :blink:

Edited by JuliusWong

I think a lot of the people who complain about the charges do not really understand the LCC business model. As such they are not able to get good deals. Many people still do not understand the AirAsia revenue management system where ticket prices are actually determined by the level of demand for the flight and it changes all the time. High demand for a particular route or flight will mean higher ticket prices. Low demand means cheaper fares.

As for "hidden" charges, they do not understand that until you pay for the ticket (final screen), your booking is provisional. So you can still book but not pay. But if you change your mind about it, you can allow your booking to lapse.

AirAsia does not "force" you to buy any ticket or service from them. Your final sanction is not to pay for your booking and it will be released.

Edited by flee

I think a lot of the people who complain about the charges do not really understand the LCC business model. As such they are not able to get good deals. Many people still do not understand the AirAsia revenue management system where ticket prices are actually determined by the level of demand for the flight and it changes all the time. High demand for a particular route or flight will mean higher ticket prices. Low demand means cheaper fares.

As for "hidden" charges, they do not understand that until you pay for the ticket (final screen), your booking is provisional. So you can still book but not pay. But if you change your mind about it, you can allow your booking to lapse.

AirAsia does not "force" you to buy any ticket or service from them. Your final sanction is not to pay for your booking and it will be released.

I partially understood where you were coming from but I'm still have difficulties in digesting the need to charge a convenience fee for payments via credit card, amongst others. For a business that relies on the internet as its core shop front, I do not accept that it is charging pax for paying via a credit card that is de rigueur for internet transactions. And at RM6 (or whatever it is today) per pax per sector - it can add up to a tidy sum for a group or family travelling together. Do the credit card issuers charge AK on a per pax per sector basis? Will AK soon charge pax for those paper receipts/ boarding pass used during self-check-in if the paperless check-in option is not used by the pax? And AK complains about the cost of using aerobridges - well, just price it in, just like how it prices-in the TNB bills it pays for electricity used in its M'sian offices.

Tony probably ceased the stupid public spat with MAHB as it also brought to the forefront perceived ugly business practices of AK itself. Somebody should send Tony a big mirror for Christmas so that he can look at himself in the mirror before attacking MAHB and pretending to be the saviour of the travelling public.

And, flee, AK certainly did not "force" the public to purchase services from it, but its virtual monopolistic position means that the public has no real choice...repeating the defensive mantra "we allowed many people to fly for the first time bla bla bla" is a tired charade (time to move on Tony, lets hear something new and more pertinent today) and I'm beginning to visualise AK as a wolf in a sheep's clothing everytime Tony regurgitates those oft-repeated lines everytime it is under siege and wants to be seen as the innocent lamb (or the harmless little red riding hood, if you prefer).

Edited by Mushrif A

ak still are not transparent on its auxillary and admin charges as they quietly have raised logguage rates, and even the inflight meals prices and upped fuel surcharge n not reduce this even after the fuel prices came down after the spike. Then there's the high admin charge even for claiming back the airport tax when one cancels the flight and am sure there are thousands who do not claim for back the airport taxes when they did not fly - and in this case as the pax didnt fly - do ak keep the airport taxes for itself - which seems to be so.

I partially understood where you were coming from but I'm still have difficulties in digesting the need to charge a convenience fee for payments via credit card, amongst others. For a business that relies on the internet as its core shop front, I do not accept that it is charging pax for paying via a credit card that is de rigueur for internet transactions.

I do not think that the convenience fee is equitable either - it should be charged on a per transaction basis rather than a per sector per pax basis. But this is not a problem that only AirAsia customers experience. Its also a problem elsewhere - see this post: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17226

In any case, TF has also mentioned that they are relooking into the convenience fees as well. So perhaps we will see another u-turn. I personally avoid all the convenience fees by using direct debit for payment of ticket and airport tax. If I subsequently use Manage My Booking to add more stuff, payment can be made using credit cards without having to incur the convenience fee.

Tony probably ceased the stupid public spat with MAHB as it also brought to the forefront perceived ugly business practices of AK itself. Somebody should send Tony a big mirror for Christmas so that he can look at himself in the mirror before attacking MAHB and pretending to be the saviour of the travelling public.

Yes he had to stop it when there were more negative public comments about AirAsia than MAHB. But that is the way he is - he is passionate about things. How many GLC managers work with passion? Most are only there to enrich themselves. For an LCC, every element of cost must be meticulously controlled. The little bits of costs do add up after a while and soon it is an LCC no more...

And, flee, AK certainly did not "force" the public to purchase services from it, but its virtual monopolistic position means that the public has no real choice...repeating the defensive mantra "we allowed many people to fly for the first time bla bla bla" is a tired charade (time to move on Tony, lets hear something new and more pertinent today) and I'm beginning to visualise AK as a wolf in a sheep's clothing everytime Tony regurgitates those oft-repeated lines everytime it is under siege and wants to be seen as the innocent lamb (or the harmless little red riding hood, if you prefer).

A monopoly is when there is no alternative. I still remember the days when there was a real monopoly when I had to pay over RM 900 for a return ticket to Kota Kinabalu. These days, whether we travel via MAS or AirAsia to that city, the fare is usually less than RM 500, even when the price of oil is over US$ 100 per barrel.

You have to remember where we used to be if you are to appreciate what we have now a bit better.

How many GLC managers work with passion? Most are only there to enrich themselves.

A monopoly is when there is no alternative. I still remember the days when there was a real monopoly when I had to pay over RM 900 for a return ticket to Kota Kinabalu. These days, whether we travel via MAS or AirAsia to that city, the fare is usually less than RM 500, even when the price of oil is over US$ 100 per barrel.

You have to remember where we used to be if you are to appreciate what we have now a bit better.

And Tony is doing it purely for charity?

Btw, I used the term virtual monopoly. AK snuffed out the threat of FY - hence what real choice does one have today, especially for the domestic LCC scene? And when you start repeating the same story line (like I said, it is getting tired hearing the same thing, not unlike a certain political party that keeps regurgitating how it is the reason behind the nation's independence, hence it can say/ do anything with impunity) about how Tony has made travelling cheaper yadda yadda... yes, that may be factually correct, but it is still no excuse for its monopolistic ugly behaviour. Tony saying that AK will not use the aerobridges even if they are installed at the new LCCT just smacks of arrogance, suggesting that AK still needs to squeeze more profit from the travelling public who dont really have a choice...further enrichment for the wolf in sheep's clothing?

Somebody should send Tony a big mirror for Christmas so that he can look at himself in the mirror before attacking MAHB and pretending to be the saviour of the travelling public.

Very well said! :good:

A return ticket between BKI and KUL on MAS was RM699 (all-inclusive) and remained so until late year 2002, if my memory serves me correctly. This was for the YEE30 ticket where the change of travel date was free of charge as long as it's done 24-hour before the actual flight and the ticket is valid for 30 days. Children under 12-year-old only had to pay RM350 for this ticket and this fare category was available year-round regardless of the load of the flight.

Anyway, a return ticket in EY on the original Air Asia between BKI/KUL was priced at RM555/pax (all-inclusive) while Transmile was selling the ticket for this sector for just RM400/pax.

"International flights require more paper work and identification process, so we have decided to stop charging the passengers," Tony Fernandes

Irony innit? More paper work and identification process - more staff involved - FOC. Less work, hassle free - charge! Lesson on how to twist and turn a story according to his convenience (pun intended)

Edited by V Wong

"International flights require more paper work and identification process, so we have decided to stop charging the passengers," Tony Fernandes

Irony innit? More paper work and identification process - more staff involved - FOC. Less work, hassle free - charge! Lesson on how to twist and turn a story according to his convenience (pun intended)

What he meant to say is that because of the additional travel document verification process required for passengers traveling to international destination, passengers must proceed to the check-in counters, thus it is unfair to charge passengers for a process that has to be carried out at the check-in counters. For domestic destination, there are no travel document checks to be carried out, thus the passengers need not proceed to the check-in counters, so if you want to check-in at the counter = pay.

What he meant to say is that because of the additional travel document verification process required for passengers traveling to international destination, passengers must proceed to the check-in counters, thus it is unfair to charge passengers for a process that has to be carried out at the check-in counters. For domestic destination, there are no travel document checks to be carried out, thus the passengers need not proceed to the check-in counters, so if you want to check-in at the counter = pay.

V Wong perfectly understood what Tony said. V Wong was just highlighting the irony of it all, where fee is charged for less work/ cost and vice-versa.

may be more fee scrap will incur in future as now he understand what his customer is facing :p

Arriving in a hotel in KL Sentral he went to the bar and asked for a pint of

draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Ringgit

please, Uncle Tony."

Somewhat taken aback, Uncle Tony replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over

his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the

barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening

from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest draught in Asia "

"That is remarkable value" Uncle Tony comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours.

That will be 3 Ringgit please."

Uncle Tony scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 Ringgit

You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Ringgit"

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this

frame please"

Uncle Tony attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in

he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of RM 4

for your seat sir"

Tony swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your

laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked

either, that will be another 3 Ringgit"

Uncle Tony was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on

the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the

manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will

be 2 Ringgit please." Uncle's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr Fernandes

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink

and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10

every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free,

until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 sen per second provided you use Tune Talk using other mobile carriers would incur our normal charges of 30 Sen per second

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK Uncle , but remember, we are the only bar in Asia selling pints for one Ringgit...so that Now everyone can drink "

Edited by Abdul Qayyum

Apparently this scraping is just temporary. It will be reintroduced back next year with some exception.

Tony Fernandes

To help travelers we have reduced conviencance charge by 40 percent to deal with higher airport tax. Also temporarily we have taken out counter charge for international flights. New year charges will come back except for countries where document check is required.

Like · · Share · 172 · 6 minutes ago via mobile

may be more fee scrap will incur in future as now he understand what his customer is facing :p

Thanks, Abdul Qayyum. I was looking for this.

Going back to the credit card charges, it's the same like when you buy stuff at the mall and when you pay by credit card they informed you they would have to charge you extra 2% for that. It happens here BUT it's not legal!

Sign in to follow this