MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
haansel

Did MAS Had Plans to get B777-300?

Yes, 773's were part of the initial deal for 777's

Obviously it was the non-ER version back in those days :)

Yes they did have plans to get the B777-300 non-ERs. The order was placed for 5x B777-300 (IIRC) and MAS had a management reshuffle/ regime change and 1997 Asian Economic Crisis. The B777-300s did not materialise, instead the order was changed to 4x B777-2H6/ER, if I remembered correctly. The last 4x 777-2H6/ER of the 9M-MR* series was supposed to be the B777-300s, had the orders were not converted.

Interestingly, MAS was supposed to be the launch customer of the B777-200LR as well. Again that didn't happen.

Edited by S V Choong

Yes, MAS originally ordered 5 aircrafts, but later converted the orders to All -200ER variant when the company got financial trouble resulting the government took large shareholding of the company. MAS was also among the original launch customer of Boeing 777 - 200X (now it is -200LR).

Yes, 773's were part of the initial deal for 777's

Obviously it was the non-ER version back in those days :)

Yes, MAS originally ordered 5 aircrafts, but later converted the orders to All -200ER variant when the company got financial trouble resulting the government took large shareholding of the company. MAS was also among the original launch customer of Boeing 777 - 200X (now it is -200LR).

hmmm interesting ...

shame thought that it did not manage to materialize...would have been a good hardware to use on some routes specially for the LR's...

Edited by haansel

Actually 4 773 were ordered, together with 11 772-IGWs. (MH also ordered 10 744s as part of that original deal).

Then, these 4 were converted into 6 772ERs (renamed from IGWs)

Also, delivery schedule of the original order was extended.

All because of the Asian crisis.

Interestingly, MAS was supposed to be the launch customer of the B777-200LR as well. Again that didn't happen.

"laucnh customer" was probably too heavy a term to use. MH only signed a Letter of Intent on the -LRs, prob. more for marketing gimmicks and Boeing just played ball , to keep the customer happy.

If memory serves me right, MH was also supposed to be the launch customer, in fact the only announced customer, for that variant of the 747 between the 747-400 and 747-8i (as we know it now)

If memory served me right, MH's B773s were supposed to be registered 9M-MSx.

If memory serves me right, MH was also supposed to be the launch customer, in fact the only announced customer, for that variant of the 747 between the 747-400 and 747-8i (as we know it now)

The 747-600X IIRC. If made it would have weighed 1.2 million pounds (similar to A380), carry 540 pax 7000nm & a length of 279 feet. Basically it would have been be the longest plane in the world with 1000nm less range than the A380.

Sign in to follow this