MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Riza

Ticketing question: 2 tickets for 2 connecting sectors booked separately

Hi!

I've got a question on ticketing.

Say I book a sector, say KUL-SIN with SQ with an online travel agent (say travel agent A) & separately I book another sector with SQ for SIN-MEL with another online travel agent (say travel agent B). Since it's 2 separate booking with 2 different online travel agent, can I go to SQ office & get both sectors (KUL-SIN & SIN-MEL) to be a thorough sector, meaning I will only have to check in at KUL & my luggage will be checked-in all the way through to MEL without disembarking & embark again at SIN?

TQ for any reply.

Riza, unless there is recent change due to security check, IMO it's possible provided that the flight SIN-MEL is less than 12 hours from your arrival to SIN. Nowaday, ticketing and check-in are computerized therefore ticket booking from different agents doesn't matter. You may get both boarding passes at SQ check-in counters in KLIA or do on-line check-in for the 2 sectors at home first.

Yup, all you have to do is to present your boarding pass at the check-in counter and boarding pass will be issued together with luggage tagged all the way to your final destination.

Worst case scenario, proceed to transfer counter at Singapore airport, and they will print your onward boarding pass...your luggage will be picked up from the conveyor and the staff will ensure it arrive with you.

It shouldn't be a problem, especially that you are flying with the same airline. However you need to bear in mind the risk of booking flights separately - if you miss the SIN-MEL flight due to delay/cancellation on KUL-SIN sector, the airline is not responsible for putting you on the next available flight.

If your layover is less than 24hrs in SIN and you manage to check through the checked luggage, you can request a refund on SIN airport tax. Not guaranteed but worth a try... This was mentioned in SQTalk a while ago.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8314 See #7.

Just out of curiosity, isn't it always cheaper to book it in one ticket, especially as it is going to be the same airline all the way? Why are your tickets separate?

Edited by jani

So during check in at KUL i'll just present both the tickets & let them issue both of my boarding pass & through-check my check-in luggage then. Connection between flight is more than 2 hours.

So during check in at KUL i'll just present both the tickets & let them issue both of my boarding pass & through-check my check-in luggage then. Connection between flight is more than 2 hours.

Yes - should be fine. No issues. SQ is good at this.

Just out of curiosity, isn't it always cheaper to book it in one ticket, especially as it is going to be the same airline all the way? Why are your tickets separate?

Not necessarily. It could be due to fare offers originating only from certain cities (& combining two separate reservations makes a cheaper total out-of-pocket fare, etc) or FFP redemption availability, etc.

Yup, all you have to do is to present your boarding pass at the check-in counter and boarding pass will be issued together with luggage tagged all the way to your final destination.

Worst case scenario, proceed to transfer counter at Singapore airport, and they will print your onward boarding pass...your luggage will be picked up from the conveyor and the staff will ensure it arrive with you.

Agreed with Kenneth.

What is the scenario if I book segment A with airline A & segment B with airline B with 2 different tickets. Can the luggage be through though?

Riza,

Regarding your Airline A and Airline B. It all depends if the two airlines have interline agreements. If yes then there will be no problems at all but if an interline agreement is a no, such as one segment being an budget airline then you may have to reclaim luggage and recheck them in. Hope this helps.

Who can advise me where can I find which airline has interline agreement with which airline?

TQ.

Let us know between what airline and what airline....

and

departure airport - transit airport (if avail) - destination

Example 1: KUL-MH-BKI-AK-SDK....no bge chk thru ya.

Example 2: KUL-MH-SIN-SQ-MEL ....bge can chk thru.

p/s: example given is same day connection.

Edited by Yoong

UL KUL-CMB & SV CMB-RUH less than 24 hours connection in between flights

Yes, bge can chk thru to RUH.

Let the chk in staff have your ticket KUL-CMB and CMB-RUH.

After chk in, double check the flight nbr, date and destination. (for you own good).

My personal advice - take a photo of your chk in bge with the bge tag.