MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

RSAF helicopter makes emergency landing

SINGAPORE: An RSAF Apache AH-64 helicopter made an emergency landing near a residential area in northern Singapore on Thursday.

The Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) said the helicopter made the forced landing in an open field between Woodlands Avenue 12 and Woodlands Drive 75 at about 3.30pm.

Channel NewsAsia received a call at around 3.40pm from a member of the public.

Mr Kwek Chee Heng said he was driving past the field when the incident happened.

He described what he saw. "In the beginning, I thought the helicopter had landed for display. But when I looked clearly, the helicopter had broken into two parts - behind and in front. The tail had broken into two parts. And the helicopter was on the side, fallen on the side."

Mr Kwek said the two pilots appeared to be uninjured, adding that they were standing next to the grounded helicopter.

No fire was reported.

A MINDEF statement said there has been no damage to civilian property or injury to personnel.

MINDEF is investigating the incident.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1084293/1/.html

The helicopter involved is 069, the one that was on static display during the Singapore Air Show earlier this year.

Edited by MIR

Alamak ... malu!!! Just an emergency landing and already broken into two parts!!!

KC Sim

Alamak ... malu!!! Just an emergency landing and already broken into two parts!!!

KC Sim

So now we know how to defeat an Apache. :yahoo:

Looks like it's gonna be a tough luck for the pilot.

On the contrary, I think they were both immensely fortunate

Must be, to be able to walk away from any incident :)

That was fast for them to remove all the main blades.. :good: I wondered if this will be a write off? Can Glue back the tail ahh? :p

It must have landed on its tail boom for the tail to break off from the rest of the Apache.

I imagine that this airframe will be sanitised (with all its weaponry and softwares removed) and it then becomes a training airframe for mechanics to tinker around with.

KC Sim

Apparently both engines failed. The helicopter auto-rotated (equivalent of gliding for fixed wing), pilot aimed for an field, landed hard and broke the tail boom.

Luckily the only thing broken was the tail and some bruised egoes. The fuselage remain largely undamaged.....this could have easily turned into a tragedy.

Note that the Longbow radar was not attached to the aircraft.

In the meantime as a precaution measure, all RSAF Apaches (and the RSN Seahawks, which shares the same engines) are grounded till the cause of the double engine failure is established. Lucky number was 2069....no luck for the punters over the weekend though.

Apache 069 in happier days at Asian Aerospace 2010

IMG_1901.jpg

Kwek

Edited by Kwek