MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Breathless in Quito

The thought of travelling to Quito was daunting to say the least. The routing and airline options were many but one constant remain - total lapse time from Singapore to Quito never comes under 30 hours. My final booking was on a United Airlines/Continental Airlines codeshare service from Singapore to Tokyo-Narita and from there to Houston and Quito, it was Continental Airlines all the way.

UA's B777-200 out of Singapore was obviously not good at hiding its age and the floor to ceiling carpet on the bulkhead did not help. It looks like some cheap joint straight out of the 1970s. Service was not anything to scream about and the breakfast was a miserly portion of carrot cake (the fried version we find in hawker centres all over SIN but nothing quite that tasty). This was in premium economy class where the seat pitch was great - with short legs like mine, this feature was not that useful.

It immediately felt different when I stepped onboard the Continental Airlines B777-200ER . . . bright, airy and clean with IFE screen on every seatback. And there seems to be a spark in the CO crew members. The first real sign that service is going to be different was when a passenger asked a crew for the tastier option on the menu. Her reply: Don't you worry dear. They all sound better than they taste. She said "Don't worry". Now I am worrying because I have a long long trip ahead and nothing good has been eaten since waking up at 0300hrs. I chose the teriyaki chicken with rice and when it came, it was actually really really delicious and was served piping hot. When another passenger nearby opened the foil of his meal, the ensemble look a little tossed out - must have been messed up during the handling process. The crew member saw it (without even a word from the passenger) and immediately said: Let me have that evil-looking chicken. And she promptly replaced it with a perfect one.

When handling out a sandwich (totally wrapped) midway across the Pacific, the crew was about to land the sandwish in my friend's hand when she suddenly stopped and said: This sandwich feels squashed. Let me get you another.

Not surprisingly, I had a really good flight to Houston . . . spent a little more than two hours at George Bush International Airport (it was very grey outside and even more grey inside). And finally, we boarded the B737-700 for the final leg to Quito . . . all's well now. Landing at Quito in the night, it was hard not to notice how much lights there were throughout the entire final approach. (Will process and upload a shot when I return to SIN). We were met (as promised) by a very warm delegation of people and everything was taken care of . . . except that Continental left my suitcase somewhere at IAH!!! Although they quickly located it, I had to spend yet another two days in the same clothes because I was enroute to Manta (on the Pacific Ocean coast) the next afternoon.

The rest as they say is history. When work was finally over and I had time for spotting, it was heaven . . . pure heaven. Quito is breath-taking! There must have been hundreds of thousands of houses on the mountains that surround the city . . . and these were the lights that I saw out of the aircraft's window during the final approach. I dread to imagine what will happen when the next major earthquake strikes. Quito literally takes your breath away . . . at more than 2800m above sea level, one quickly start panting from doing nothing except stand and breathe. Takes a few days to finally adapt (somewhat).

So here's my first shot of an Arrow Cargo DC-10-30F (N405WL) landing at Quito Mariscal Sucre Airport (UIO). When plans to come to Quito were being hatched and I had my first evil thought to extend (past the first day of the Chinese New Year) my stay for a spot of aviation photography, I told myself that my trip would be made if I get to photograph an Arrow Cargo DC-10F! It appeared on both days that I went spotting (perhaps might appear again when I go out in a short while - it is now the morning of 14 Feb here in Quito . . . so Gong Xi Fa Cai all over again to everyone and Happy Valentine Day to all you lovebirds out there.

mw-Quito-SpottingHeaven-ArrowCargo-.jpg

More shots will follow soon after my return to SIN (arriving early in the morning of 18 Feb) and if not jet-lagged, should quickly have the first installment of images here. Surprisingly, none of the entire group of 11 people I travelled with suffered jetlag after arriving in Quito.

For me, the Year of the Tiger has gotten off to a roaring start. Hope the same happens for all.

KC Sim

Ever since I received your reply text on eve of CNY,

been waiting for the shots....

and what a shot you started of with... A DC10 with cute little engines..

Oh wow.... can't wait for the Cubana & the rests... :clapping:

Looking fwd to more pics, KC. Am planing to head Sth America way myself this year-end. :D

Just wrapped up my third and final day of spotting in Quito and packing up for an early night. Early morning flight to Houston tomorrow . . .

Today turned out to be yet another very fruitful day . . . many familiar subjects but photographed in two different locations. Great sunshine most of the time . . . but before I sign off, just wanted to post the image taken out of the window during the final approach into Quito on 7 Feb. At that time, I was already tired from a very long flight and holding the camera as still as possible while all that lights flash past sure makes one groggy. The final effect : A mess of mee goreng.

mw-FinalApproach-Quito-01C.jpg

KC Sim

Naim : You must absolutely try to include Quito in your plans as the current Mariscal Sucre International Airport is supposed to be replaced by a new one some 14km away from its current location. You will not find the same spectacular surroundings and convenience at the new airport. Everybody tells me that the new airport will not open in time in 2010 but better be safe than sorry.

There are lots of spots around the airport - most of them within walking distance from the airport terminal. Over three days, I kept rotating around different spots just for variety and I am certain there are many more spots that are available on the western end of the airport where I did not even venture to explore.

I tried getting in touch with local spotters but none bothered to reply - one did asking me to communicate via another email address but when I did so immediately, the communication went dead. It is easy enough for me to give you directions when you are ready to set off on your trip.

Suffice to say that after three days of spotting, I am left salivating for more . . . and reluctantly depart. While the passenger flights are nothing to scream about after three days - Icaro B732, TAME A320 (in old n new colours), E-170 and E-190, VIP Air Dornier 328, SBAirlines B757, Avianca A319, LAN A318 and B767-300ER (some with those lovely winglets), TACA A320 etc, it is the cargo movements that are most interesting. These include MD-11Fs of Martinair + Lufthansa Cargo, B722F of LASCargo Colombia, B762F of Tampa Cargo, B763F and B772LRF of LAN Cargo, B744F of Cargolux, solitary B732F of Icaro Carga (in full livery), Cubana Cargo TU-204, Arrow Cargo DC-10-30F . . . I am certain there are many more which I did not see in the three days.

Most importantly, the light is very very good in the early morning through to almost midday when the clouds start rolling in and there is heat haze on the taxiway or runway . . . but quickly enough by around 1430hrs, it is all beautiful again through to sundown. Taxiway shots are wideangle shots while a 200mm lens lands you just about everything on the runway (from the perimeter fence). Security is relaxed . . . there are patrols but I discreetly keep the camera out of sight. Tonnes of locals stay near the fence to ogle at planes so you are not alone.

I am itching to return for more shots - even after shooting an average of 12GB of raw images on each of the three days.

KC Sim . . . hope that entices you to include Quito in your plans.

It definitely did !!! Even Mai is interested in going there... :pardon:

...so, that's why I missed you in SIN... :blink:

CO is a great airline when it comes to inflight-service, esp. comparing with other US airlines; glad to hear you had the same experiences as we had on our ORD-IAH-SJU-EWR-ORD stint a few month's back...it's our way of choice too !!!

KC, u were in totally unexpected place to celebrate the beginning of the tiger year. Wow, this topic is going to be fun! And i bet i wouldnt be able to find pictures of spotting at Quito anywhere else.

And your comment on UA and Continental is what i have expected. Though they are in the same alliance, i guess in general, Continental's inflight service is far ahead compared to other US legacy airlines.

I very much look forward to your next uploads on your trip. But for time being, we pray for your safe flight back to SIN.

Cheers bro!

Thanks for tips, KC. So far I've got Machu Picchu, Ushuaia and Manaus in my plan. :D

Waiting for my Super Shuttle pickup (service not super at all, I tell you) from the hotel to Houston George Bush Airport . . . and there is a terminal here for me to use.

T. Azahan - indeed, the trip came up quite suddenly but even with Chinese New Year pouncing upon us, I could not resist forgoing a few days to do spotting here in Quito.

Pieter - CO's inflight service is very American, very friendly and very warm. Their attendants are very spontaneous. UA's service and aircraft cabin are a pale shade compared to CO.

Niam - you have to shift your plans a little further north to take in Quito before they abandon this airport.

BTW, when I was at Manta Airport on the Pacific coast, I was able to photograph the Mirage III and A-37 Dragonfly of the Fuerza Aerea Ecuatoriana (FAE) . . . with the blessings of the Civil Aviation Department's folks who were with us. At Quito, I did also manage to get their Embraer 135 Legacy (which was carrying Ecuador's President to Haiti) and Twin Otter.

Adios from this side of the Pacific . . . next time I sign in, I shall be on the Western side of the Pacific, probably in Singapore already. Planning to chase planes from the windows at Narita. Last time I transited it coming to Quito, I shot the UA B744 in Star Alliance livery - a plane I was chasing for a long long time.

KC Sim

Hi Pieter,

need your help to understand KLM's operation to Ecuador.

KL753 operates from Amsterdam to Quito via Bonaire. Does the flight continue to Guayaquil?

When KLM754 returns from Quito to Amsterdam, does it stopover anywhere?

Or does the flight KL753/KL754 actually operate a Amsterdam - Bonaire - Quito - Guayaquil - Amsterdam routing?

Sorry folks about the delay in the images. As there was tonnes of follow-up work to tie up following the last trip, I was not able to process as many images as I would have liked. I needed to find out this information on KLM's routing as another trip is needed in early-April and some of us are keen to explore a routing that skips the USA (to avoid the customs and security hassles). And for me, also the chance to fly the only airline left in the world to operate scheduled MD-11 passenger services.

KC Sim

KC,

KL753 operates by MD11 and following route: AMS-BON-UIO-GYE

KL754 operates by MD11 and following route: GYE-UIO-BON-AMS

So, yes, it continues to GYE, and also makes a stop at BON on the way back to AMS...

You'll LOVE the MD11; it's my favorite KLM aircraft from a passenger's viewpoint !!!

(ask Cornelis aswell)

Thanks Pieter,

I wish I could purposely fly all the way to Guayaquil instead of stopping at Quito! Just to extend my enjoyment of an MD-11 flight. The MD-11 (and all trijets) is a favourite plane for me too . . .

remember my rides on the MD-11s of JAL, EVA Air, Malaysia Airlines, Finnair, Thai and SWISS / SWISSAIR. The opportunity to add the KLM MD-11 experience to that is just too attractive to pass over.

Current plans call for an arrival in Quito on 4 April . . . but can only make bookings in about a week (much depend on confirmation of a government charter flight from Quito to the Galapagos Islands on 6 April and returning on 11 April).

I have dreamt of flying on a KLM MD-11 since I first set eyes on one of these in Nagoya many years ago!!! This would be a dream come true.

KC Sim

Looking forward to your pix again - really interesting Latin American traffic there! Yes, I think trijets are something different from the twins and quads.

Unfortunately, I have only flown once or twice on SQ 727s, MH DC-10s and BA L-1011s. But I really enjoyed the L-1011 flights from LHR-KUL. Virtually empty and I can have all three seats to myself, with window views!

Hmmm, to go from Singapore to Amsterdam and then to Quito - is the journey time longer or shorter than your previous trip? One thing for sure, it is definitely going to be less hassle as you don't need to tolerate US security checks.

Goodday!

I am now home just over a week, havent had much time to do anything with my pic so far, but here a few from Quito first!

Iberia powering down the approach path into UIO

ECKSEUIO.jpg

MD11 coming in on +- 180 kts

PHMCRUIO.jpg

And 2 shots from the terminal/ domestic departures

HCCLAUIO.jpg

Unfortunately no 732s are flying anymore of AeroGal :( Only 1 733, rest is replaced by A319 or A320 (former Mexicana busses).

HCCHBUIO.jpg

Looking at those pix is 'oragmsic'..ok in a good way!!

United Airlines sounds like a dreadful airline to fly with. I read many trip reports, all stating UA is stingy in catering...hmmm.....

Very nice, CeeBee ! :good: :drinks:

Too bad, most Fokkers and 748's seem to be wfu :angry:

Still plenty of '"old" 727's operational... :yahoo:

A tight airport but it is amazing to see space available for aircraft that are no longer flying. Cheers CB for sharing with us.

Thanks Cornelis, for keeping this thread alive. I need to install my Photoshop CS5 before I can begin to process my shots from Quito (taken in April 2010 ... hahaha). Once that is done, I will have plenty of shot from there to share again, including the B727-100 and B727-200 of Fuerza Aerea Ecuatoriana (FAC), Arrow Air DC-10F, Icaro Cargo B737-200F (in old colours) etc.

Nice Icaro Air B737 in new colours and Air Cuenca B737-500 by Cornelis ... Air Cuenca is already gone after the B735 did an excursion off the runway at one of the domestic airports and Icaro Air is already defunct. Increasingly, AeroGal's B737-200 are being replaced by Airbus A320s ... yet another classic disappearing from Quito.

KC Sim