MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kenneth T

MASwings to operate B738?

I have a conversation with a co pilot of MASwings who was the also the co pilot in charge of ferrying one of the ATR 72 from Toulouse to Subang. According to him, MASwings plan to operate the B738 from BKI. Anyone can have any update on this matter?

Sounds plausible as they already mentioned that MASWings will fly some regional routes. However, it is strange that they should do it from BKI when MH already flies regional routes from there. Maybe they are code sharing?

I know that a few of us would love to fly MASWings from SIN to BKI if it operates the route . . . and a B738 would be a bonus.

Does any MAS insider have a more definite answer to Kenneth's post?

KC Sim

Well that is a good news for traveller, besides MH / AK... :rolleyes:

Heard alot of wind news on this matter, but no solid confirmation yet. :blink:

According to the co pilot, MASwings will spread its wing to Philippines soon. Should the B738s join MASwings in the near future, we shall see BKI-Cebu route being taken over by MASwings and eventually other sectors. In my opinion, MH plan of having B738s base in BKI is likely possible if the plan works out.

Not good. Unless MH flyers can earn Enrich miles with MAS Wings too. The current arrangement is that all flight MH3XXXX (MAS Wings flights) are not mileage accruable.

According to the co pilot, MASwings will spread its wing to Philippines soon. Should the B738s join MASwings in the near future, we shall see BKI-Cebu route being taken over by MASwings and eventually other sectors. In my opinion, MH plan of having B738s base in BKI is likely possible if the plan works out.

You're right,as they did plan to extend their ops within the BIMP-EAGA area (That's mean Brunei,Philippines & Indonesia).

Let's hope that MASwings will issue a statement regarding to the issue.

I would have thought the current ATR's would be able to handle anywhere within BIMP-EAGA, and better suited to the task too if compared to a 737

No, my guess is the MASWings 738 is meant for somewhere else, if really jadilah, somewhere beyond range of the ATR's probably

My immediate reaction is.....it reminds me about in the early years of AK livery. Moving a bid off topic, the new sign board on the way to KKIA T1 reveals the strong connectivity of MH and MASwings.... :rolleyes:

Not good. Unless MH flyers can earn Enrich miles with MAS Wings too. The current arrangement is that all flight MH3XXXX (MAS Wings flights) are not mileage accruable.

Exactly... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kenneth T

When MASwings took over RAS, they were given exclusive rights to fly domestic and "rural" routes...and as of this moment, MASwings do not have the rights to fly International routes.

MASwings is a commuter airline, which ideally serve to commute passengers to HUBs to be flown out, i.e the spoke and hub MH is pushing for, having a model where they themselves connect passengers directly do not actually fits into this model. MASwings at this moment offers high frequency, low density routes, and having the 738 when the ATRs are not really full do not seem like a very good idea.

Then again, MASwings under the new Chief in Command,may have ideas and direction of his own. I guess only time will tell.

This rumour is rather similar to news I heard before regarding FY's intentions of acquiring ex-MH 734 to do SZB - BKI/KCH. If this plan do go on, AK will question as to why AK is not allowed to operate jets from SZB, while FY could. There many considerations taken into account before deciding something so big.

I guess we will know for sure when we see MASwings suddenly recruit a huge number of FAs and Cockpit Crew...so keep a look out...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Maswings AT7 have sufficient range to serve regional destinations e.g. Southern Philippines, Manado, Kalimantan from BKI. If Maswings couldn’t get AT7 to work on regional doubt Maswings 738 can be profitable.

Why Maswings need to go jet and can’t stay as a feeder to MH?

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

Correct !

I learned it the hard way when i booked several intra Sabah/Sarawak flights but never saw them show up on my Enrich statement !

When inquiring at MAS in Frankfurt after my return home i got the info that all MASwings flights are exempt from mileage accrual.

Something i was never considering before as MASwings is a "subdivision" of MAS comparable with Lufthansa Cityline/Lufthansa - and of course LH wouldn´t dare to exclude mileage accrual on their "100% daughter" ...

It was a great relief for me !!! :o

Even worse: I intentionally booked the higher booking class hoping to get higher mileage - so, just wasted money - !!! :angry:

This is slightly off topic but how long and how many stops did it take to fly the ATR 72 from Toulouse to Subang?

From the previous documentary on TV1, I think 3 stops. Cyprus, Abu Dhabi, Bangkok and then Subang...I could miss one in between....I'm not sure....