MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

AirAsia X seeks A330 sale and leaseback deals

Malaysian long-haul carrier AirAsia X is looking to sell and lease back two of the six new Airbus A330s it will take delivery of by the end of 2010.

Speaking at the Cargo Facts annual Aircraft Symposium in Seattle, AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman Rani says the carrier, which currently operates three A330s and two A340s, has issued a request for proposals for the sale and leaseback covering one of the three A330s it is scheduled to take by year-end. He says the other two aircraft will be financed.

Azran says AirAsia X is also scheduled to take three A330s next year, with deliveries in June, July and November. He says the carrier is looking to pursue a similar combination of two financing deals and one sale and leaseback for these aircraft.

He says AirAsia X will use the three A330s to be delivered the reminder of this year to launch new services from Kuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi and Chengdu in China plus add capacity on existing routes to China and Australia.

Azran says AirAsia X hopes to use some of the extra capacity being added next year to launch services in Sydney, which would be the carrier's fourth Australian destination after the Gold Coast, Melbourne and Perth. AirAsia X has been trying to secure rights for Sydney for some time and Azran says he now expects this will be achieved in the first half of 2010.

AirAsia X is also evaluating a number of other potential services for 2010, including extending its new Kuala Lumpur-Abu Dhabi route to Europe. Azran says the carrier typically decides on new routes three to four months before an additional aircraft is delivered.

Azran says the carrier may need to raise more capital in 2011 or beyond to support its continued fleet expansion but "right now we're not actively looking at it". According to Flightglobal's ACAS database AirAsia has 23 A330-300s on outstanding order as well as 10 A350-900s.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/09/17/332399/airasia-x-seeks-a330-sale-and-leaseback-deals.html

Not really - sale and leaseback is an off balance sheet financing technique. Most airlines have some of their aircraft on lease. I think D7 is trying to keep their balance sheet healthy because local analysts seems to be very worried about companies with large borrowings, i.e. high gearing. So this is an effort to reduce gearing so that analysts don't have any reason to bitch about their gearing.

In the dark days of MAS' loss making history, it sold ALL its aircraft and leased them back. A government company called Pernerbangan Malaysia owned all the planes. So this is an often used finance tool.

Yes this plane will be registered 9M-XXD. The final A333 to be delivered this year will be 9M-XXE in December.

Has -XXD been delivered yet and entered service?

XXD has not entered service yet - it is expected to be delivered around 19 or 20 November.

9M-XXE will have the new seats and you can bet your botom dollar that D7 will make a big marketing splash when that plane comes in! :yahoo:

Bugger!

Thanks flee..I fly out on D7 this Sunday PER-KL and was hoping I might get lucky.

Lets see if you are able to get onboard XXC - its only 1½ months old and is in identical configuration to XXD.

XXD has not entered service yet - it is expected to be delivered around 19 or 20 November.

9M-XXE will have the new seats and you can bet your botom dollar that D7 will make a big marketing splash when that plane comes in! :yahoo:

Can't wait to see their new seats. They look great from earlier posts. This time I want to see them in the actual plane. Will the earlier aircraft be re-fitted with the new seats. If so, when?

XXD arrives today at 1900LT

Any info when and where XXD be for inaugural commercial flight?

Any info when and where XXD be for inaugural commercial flight?

I was on board 9M-XXD , doing Melbourne -Kuala Lumpur on Dec 14th. Should say it still has the new aircraft 'smell' and everything looks new. The KUL-MEL was 9M-XXA is a different story. You can see plaster being used in toilet to prevent some parts from falling.

I was on board 9M-XXD , doing Melbourne -Kuala Lumpur on Dec 14th. Should say it still has the new aircraft 'smell' and everything looks new. The KUL-MEL was 9M-XXA is a different story. You can see plaster being used in toilet to prevent some parts from falling.

I think that was 9M-XAA (the leased plane). I must say this year I flew frequently between MEL-KUL and 9/10 planes that I took was 9M-XAA. I must be plain unlucky or because the route is such a popular route even with the worst plane, people still fly with them.

I think that was 9M-XAA (the leased plane). I must say this year I flew frequently between MEL-KUL and 9/10 planes that I took was 9M-XAA. I must be plain unlucky or because the route is such a popular route even with the worst plane, people still fly with them.

I am pretty sure it was 9M-XXA, because it took picture of it before boarding. (I know I am not supposed to do it...but couldn't resist it, first time doing long haul...lolx). I heard the leased plane 9M-XAA has less seats compared to those owned by D7, right? Both flights were pretty full with around 30 or so seats empty.

9M-XAA has been reconfigured to match exactly the same configuration as it's new sibling. However, it lacks IFE and the seats are not reclinable and mighty hard compared to the new ones. I don't know what's the intention to make it the "black sheep" of the family.

9M-XAA has been reconfigured to match exactly the same configuration as it's new sibling. However, it lacks IFE and the seats are not reclinable and mighty hard compared to the new ones. I don't know what's the intention to make it the "black sheep" of the family.

Well, if it is so, it would say the flight would be a torture without the IFE. The IFE literally keeps my mind busy. I can't imagine without IFE for a 8hrs flight!! BTW, I thought D7 is planning to introduce new J and Y seats, so why bother refurbishing 9M-XAA; somemore its a leased aircraft?

Well, if it is so, it would say the flight would be a torture without the IFE. The IFE literally keeps my mind busy. I can't imagine without IFE for a 8hrs flight!! BTW, I thought D7 is planning to introduce new J and Y seats, so why bother refurbishing 9M-XAA; somemore its a leased aircraft?

XAA was refurbished earlier this year (came back into the fleet around March). It should have an extra 100 seats. That is a lot of money! The seat refitting should pay for itself over a short period. Although it may lack seat back IFE, the hand held IFE (same for pax on XAB and XAC) is available for rental.

XAA was refurbished earlier this year (came back into the fleet around March). It should have an extra 100 seats. That is a lot of money! The seat refitting should pay for itself over a short period. Although it may lack seat back IFE, the hand held IFE (same for pax on XAB and XAC) is available for rental.

O. Okies. Thanks for the feedback. This is one of the few first post I made in MalaysianWing. So, the XAA had been reconfigured since March this year. D7 really does know how to pack the planes to the max. lolx!! Once the remainder A333s with new designed seats arrived, D7 will send XXA-XXD for refurbishment again with XXA? I wonder why D7 doesn't use the Air Canada's IFE system in XAB and XAC? Was it stripped out before moving to D7?

O. Okies. Thanks for the feedback. This is one of the few first post I made in MalaysianWing. So, the XAA had been reconfigured since March this year. D7 really does know how to pack the planes to the max. lolx!! Once the remainder A333s with new designed seats arrived, D7 will send XXA-XXD for refurbishment again with XXA? I wonder why D7 doesn't use the Air Canada's IFE system in XAB and XAC? Was it stripped out before moving to D7?

XAA was reconfigured to similar seats as XXA-XXD - I guess the extra revenue is one reason. Other reasons was that the original seats were very old and the plane really needed some "renovations" carried out. A third reason would be to ensure that the plane's configuration is similar to the rest of the fleet for easier operations.

The next plane to arrive in the D7 fleet (XXE) will have the lie flat premium seats and reclining seats (similar to AK's A320's) in cattle class. This plane is scheduled to enter service in Feb 2010.

I think the Air Canada IFE system belongs to them (tied in with the IFE provider) and cannot be used by other operators. The A343s arrived bare - that is why handheld sets were used for IFE.

Edited by flee

XAA was reconfigured to similar seats as XXA-XXD - I guess the extra revenue is one reason. Other reasons was that the original seats were very old and the plane really needed some "renovations" carried out. A third reason would be to ensure that the plane's configuration is similar to the rest of the fleet for easier operations.

The next plane to arrive in the D7 fleet (XXE) will have the lie flat premium seats and reclining seats (similar to AK's A320's) in cattle class. This plane is scheduled to enter service in Feb 2010.

I think the Air Canada IFE system belongs to them (tied in with the IFE provider) and cannot be used by other operators. The A343s arrived bare - that is why handheld sets were used for IFE.

Thanks for the reply. We learn something new everyday!! Yea, XAA is almost as old as some MH's A330s. Therefore, need some 'renovations' to spruce it up. I can't wait to see the lie-flat seats in Y+!! D7 certainly will bring low cost travelling to a greater height. Well done D7!!

I wonder how many more A343s D7 is gonna to take in near future? and any plan to change those seats in A343s? Its from Air Canada right?

Edited by JuliusWong

Yes, both A343's are ex-Air Canada. Both the A333/A343 planes are not easy to lease - D7 has already stated that they are willing to pay US$ 400,000 per month max. D7 does not want to lease at any cost.

Their immediate strategy is to operate more long haul flights as stopping flights using their new A333s because they have determined that most of their market comprise of pax who are "cost sensitive, time insensitive". So I think that more European flights will come next year via Abu Dhabi. US flights might go via Taipei and London Stansted.

US$400,000 per month? I think its a bargain. I supposed with the collapse of Air Comet and some stored CX A340s, D7 have plenty of choice as to picking up 'new' A340s. I heard GF's A343 was passed as the leasing rate is too high. No?

I can see that D7 will be making AUH as a hub for European route and Taipei or Stansted for US flights. For AUH, they face strong competition from EK and EY-alike. However, no long haul carrier pass thru AUH for now. Think D7 may have advantage, especially for those price-sensitive yet time insensitive pax.

By the end of next decade, D7 would have covered most of the major destinations. Paris, I can't wait for you!!!