MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

AirAsia X seeks A330 sale and leaseback deals

US$400,000 per month? I think its a bargain. I supposed with the collapse of Air Comet and some stored CX A340s, D7 have plenty of choice as to picking up 'new' A340s. I heard GF's A343 was passed as the leasing rate is too high. No?

Yes, D7 saw the ex-GF A343s and passed. Air Comet? Their A343s are very old, 1993 vintage!

Yes, D7 saw the ex-GF A343s and passed. Air Comet? Their A343s are very old, 1993 vintage!

hahas!! Correct. Those are the first few A343 made. Maybe OA's and SAS would be better. Or perhaps D7 can consider Thai's A345 or IB's 346. Now that would be a beauty!! The long pencils!!!

Or perhaps D7 can consider Thai's A345 or IB's 346. Now that would be a beauty!! The long pencils!!!

No go - D7 only wants CFM-56 engined A340s as there are cost advantages to the maintenance of these engines due to AK's massive fleet of A320s. The A320s use a variant of the CFM-56, but nevertheless, it has many common parts with those installed on the A343.

As has been previously stated on this forum the costs of leasing A345's would far outstrip D7's ability to operate as a LCC. They are in a position where they can just wait for the 'right' aircraft to become available. A343's aren't a bad aircraft still fairly modern and the lease rates will just contiune to fall. The issue that bugs me is if D7 source additional A340's they will end up with all different interiors unless they are also ex AC ones.

-XXE was delivered on 22/12/09.

No go - D7 only wants CFM-56 engined A340s as there are cost advantages to the maintenance of these engines due to AK's massive fleet of A320s. The A320s use a variant of the CFM-56, but nevertheless, it has many common parts with those installed on the A343.

I supposed most of the A343s is equipped with CFM-56 engines, its just matter of the seats' configuration. D7 won't want to waste so much time reconfigure them. The only A343s I can see they are getting, if they are desperate to get, are those of ex-CX, SAS and OA. Those GF are old and the lease is high.

As has been previously stated on this forum the costs of leasing A345's would far outstrip D7's ability to operate as a LCC. They are in a position where they can just wait for the 'right' aircraft to become available. A343's aren't a bad aircraft still fairly modern and the lease rates will just contiune to fall. The issue that bugs me is if D7 source additional A340's they will end up with all different interiors unless they are also ex AC ones.

Thanks the reply, Tom. Yea, I doubt D7 will use A345 at all. Wont' break even using an aircraft meant for ULH flights. A343s lease is falling but not falling as much as everyone expected. However, we can see several airlines like GF, OA, CX and SAS had stored A343s. I doubt there is any AC A343s left. LX, TK and others picked up most of them. Means D7 would need to reconfig its 'new' plane if they are going for same interiors.

As I have said earlier, I think that D7 is resigned to the fact that it will soldier on with the A333's (operating stopping services) until 2016, when they will receive their A350s. They are not going to be leasing any planes if the lease rate is not favourable. It would also not be economic to re-configure the interior to higher density seating if they are doing short term leases (which are more expensive). On top of that, D7 are facing problems with governments approving their routes (as seen with the Sydney, Korea and Japan applications in 2009).

I think D7 will more or less focus on routes that are doable with the A333 (e.g. Australia, Korea, Japan, India and Middle East). They will try operating the riskier routes with A333/A343 stopping services (e.g. US east and west coast), as well as leverage on their Abu Dhabi virtual hub.

I think D7 has many challenges ahead (e.g. Tianjin loads during winter showed that success on a route is never guaranteed) and it will be interesting to see if they can innovate and defy their critics!

Yes, and it will have its seats changed. Won't come into service till around February.

I agree with flee. D7 is pretty well contended with the usage of A333s for now, not seeking anymore A343s. With more A333s coming online, they will soldier on till the 2016. At that time, the A333s are still pretty much young.

Malaysia Government more or less is 'trying to delay' Air Asia rapid expansion, for the sake of MH. Well, with the JV with JQ I can see that D7 and AK have ways to get around the so-called 'blockings'. I forsee D7 will fly to US through TPE. Thats something we hope for.

D7 is well aware that they have to keep things simple. Operating too many aircraft types will cause problems too. E.g. AK could easily have ordered A319 and A321 aircraft too, since some airports like Bandung need high performance aircraft like the A319 and many domestic routes like KUL-KCH can easily fill up the A321. However, AK prefers to operate a fleet of A320s as fleet management advantages outweigh the benefits of having the different aircraft types.

As such I think D7 will only operate two types of aircraft, one for medium range routes (A333) and the other for long haul routes (A343). When the A350s arrive, the A343s will be phased out.

D7 is well aware that they have to keep things simple. Operating too many aircraft types will cause problems too. E.g. AK could easily have ordered A319 and A321 aircraft too, since some airports like Bandung need high performance aircraft like the A319 and many domestic routes like KUL-KCH can easily fill up the A321. However, AK prefers to operate a fleet of A320s as fleet management advantages outweigh the benefits of having the different aircraft types.

As such I think D7 will only operate two types of aircraft, one for medium range routes (A333) and the other for long haul routes (A343). When the A350s arrive, the A343s will be phased out.

Learned so many things here (MW), eg; airlines strategies, a/c ranges. You got the top notch knowledge on aviation business as well as other members too. B)

Learned so many things here (MW), eg; airlines strategies, a/c ranges. You got the top notch knowledge on aviation business as well as other members too. B)

It is very good that you managed to pick up something useful here! All of us learn something each time we visit. It is good to share and we are all the richer by that! :)