MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Walter Sim

Fire Alert Downs India Plane

MUMBAI: An Air India passenger jet heading to Frankfurt was forced to return to Mumbai after a bag of curry powder set off smoke and fire alarms, it was reported on Saturday.

Pilots on the Boeing 747-400 plane activated fire extinguishers after receiving a cockpit warning about a fire in the cargo hold early Friday morning, the Mumbai Mirror newspaper said.

But on the plane's return to India's financial and entertainment capital, engineers said the alert had been triggered by the escape of particles from a bag containing two to three kilogrammes of curry powder.

The bag, belonging to a passenger from the western Indian state of Gujarat, was removed before the plane took off again after a 12-hour delay.

"On taking off for the second time, the pilot apologised for the delay and announced that a bag containing curry powder had caused the problem," Air India spokesman Jitendra Bhargava was quoted as saying.

Mangoes and meat products that generate heat have been suspected of causing similar incidents on Air India flights in the past, the newspaper said.

BBQSause : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp.../435729/1/.html

Kinda reminds me of Pizza Huts' advertisement. :p

haha..quite dangerous ah ini curry powder..

haha.. ya la... they should add curry as banned items in acft, not only a 100ml mineral water :)

curry powder??and how does mangoes generate heat?setting of fire alarms using curry powder in the future..certainly one for the movies! :lol:

Wah,this curry powder so hot ka,capable of setting off the fire alarm?

Hehehe :lol: :rofl:

Crap! How could a curry powder generate heat? The only heat it could generate is on the tongue only la! Crap yet funny..

Just wondering - is curry powder listed as a Dangerous Goods substance per the IATA DG regulations? Wonder what UN number it carries and if there is any limit per packaging...

I tried googling for it, but all I get is a World Trade Organization packaging instruction doc file, which doesn't really tell me much anyway.