MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
mohd sukri abd hamid

travel to kota kinabalu

quick question...im going to kota kinabalu with my family next year march 2010..already bought ticket with airasia..is malaysian need passport to kota kinabalu?please help me anyone :help:

If i'm not mistaken, if you are Malaysian but non-Sabahan, a passport complete with VISA is needed if you plan to stay here for more than 3-month or work here.

If i'm not mistaken, if you are Malaysian but non-Sabahan, a passport complete with VISA is needed if you plan to stay here for more than 3-month or work here.

we all malaysian but we only going on holiday for 3 night..how about that?anybody get some information please?

While there, try to squeeze some time to at least see Mount Kinabalu, if not climb it. There is this Kinabalu Pines Resort which I find quite comfortable and cozy, although at that time (2005), there were only the lousy RTM1 & RTM2 channels available on TV! Not sure if they have other channels or ASTRO nowadays. The kafetaria at the resort also served decent food at reasonable prices.

KK residents may have recommendations for city hotels. My favourite is Beverly Hotel, which at the 10th floor one can see BKI airport from afar, with views of planes landing / taking off in front of the hotel building facing the South China Sea.

Edited by Rozhan

Seeing you have quite a sizeble party, may want to consider Likas Square Condotel - the multi roomed apartments there may work out more cost effective than having multiple rooms in a hotel. Plus, you'll have a kitchen available for experiments with the local foods here :)

Transport wise, I believe it's not too bad nowadays with the 1Borneo-Warisan Sq shuttle calling by

KK is a great city, great sights, sounds and fresh seafood. If you are advanturous, you could try the many lodge or B&B or since you are buying your tic from AirAsia...you could read up about the different hotel selections from their site... http://goholiday.airasia.com/Hotel.aspx i find it most useful. For me, I usually stay at KingPark Hotel kingpark website...near to the pasar malam...where you could get a good deal for things like pearls and crystal braclets. KK is easy to walk around...the Fillipino Market is a must! Have fun in KK. And for travelling documents, MyKad is good enough, for children, you must remember to bring their birth certs....

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

any more great hotel in kota kinabalu?

If you have deep pocket then you might want to consider these :

5-STAR

- Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Beach Hotel and Resort

- Magellen Sutera

- Pan Pacific Sutera

- Hyatt Regency

- Le Meridien

4-STAR

- Promenade Hotel

3-STAR

- Tang Dynasty Hotel

- Beverly Hotel

- Imperial Hotel

- Mercure 1Borneo

- Courtyard 1Borneo

- Novotel 1Borneo

- Tune Hotel 1Borneo

Hyatt Regency, Le Meridien, Imperial Hotel Warisan Square are the best in my opinion as they all are located just next to shopping centres. Should be quite convenient for you and your family. Imperial Hotel Warisan Square, though only rated 3-STAR is actually a very decent hotel and it's quite cheap too. If i'm not mistaken, Imperial Hotel Warisan Square is only around RM120 - RM130nett/night.

Edited by Isaac

Promenade apartment?

Marina court?

I think that is the place where you can easily find food, should you hate to travel to have your meal.

For a family of 7 should be sufficient. Otherwise I think hotels would be expensive.

Was told Promenade Apartment is very cheap. My classmate who is now studying medicine in UKM and his fellow course mates were staying there during their 1-week health awareness roadshow here in September or October last year.

in kk, you are spoilt for choice when it comes to hotel as already been alluded to earlier in this post.

just have to know that promenade apartment and promenade hotel are two different thing. many people confuse the two.

promenade hotel is pretty high class but relatively cheaper compare to its peers in its category. it's nearby the coast and makan area.

The "Just flash your mykad" thing is what is currently being practised, is probably the safe answer :)

We've seen so many changes in immigration policies over the years (roughly vacillating in tandem with state/federal relations of the moment) and you've quite a while before travel date, feel it's best if you check up again nearer the time

Don't worry too much, [naive mode] I imagine it will take some very serious circumstance to justify turning a Malaysian away from Malaysian soil [/naive mode(with luck!)]

how about Grace Garden? that place not bad also, right next got our used-to-be-favorite makan/hang out place. if got your own transportation is the best lar. :D

OT: just curious, Malaysian travel within this country no need passport anymore right? or West M'sian travel to Sarawak still need to use passport for a short stay?

how about Grace Garden? that place not bad also, right next got our used-to-be-favorite makan/hang out place. if got your own transportation is the best lar. :D

OT: just curious, Malaysian travel within this country no need passport anymore right? or West M'sian travel to Sarawak still need to use passport for a short stay?

Previously West Malaysian need passport to travel to Sabah/Sarawak but no the other way round. However, the requirement has been loosen since the last few years. I remember my boss from KL didn't bring his passport and was asked to fill up something like an immigration form like those you fill up when entering foreign countries. But that was 6-7 years ago.

1 more thing..can we hire car or van at the airport?expensive or not?any idea mate?

of course you can. u just need to buy grab a "tourist guide" or whatever they named it which supplied by Tourism Malaysia, follow the map, should be no problem. or you have your own Navigation devices.

Waiping, i remember that. last time my father have to look for a used Labuan-Kota Kinabalu express boat ticket, as a prove of being away from Sabah within past three months before go back West Malaysia. <_ nowadays we can go anyway within the country easily with our mykad right>

But i think Grace Garden is going to be very expensive right ? Since one typical unit is sold for RM360,000 when they first constructed it. So i expect the rental is going to cost a bomb as well.

1 more thing..can we hire car or van at the airport?expensive or not?any idea mate?

Yes. I believe there are two companies providing such service namely "KMT Global" and "Hertz" (under Sime Darby). According to Hertz Malaysia website, a Toyota Innova 2.0 or Toyota Unser 1.8 is RM208/day. There are cheaper ones such as Hyundai Matrix at only RM131.60/day but i guess that is not so suitable since there are 7 of you guys travelling together.

Edited by Isaac

Sign in to follow this