MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min Chun

Options of airlines

I'm leaving in 15/16 Aug to Orlando, Florida and am searching for cheapest deals to travel from Penang to Orlando Int'l Airport (MCO) in Florida.

So far I have browsed through EK, MH, SQ and United Airlines and United Airlines gives the best deal.

Options from United Airlines:

1) SIN-KHG-ORD-MCO = USD 1073

2) PEN-SIN-LHR-IAD-MCO = USD1378

The difference is around RM1000 but I still need to minus out the RM470 for PEN-SIN if I choose option 1. That means if I pay extra Rm500 I get to fly A380 on SIN-LHR if I choose option2 :rolleyes: and I don't mind having more stops and I get to travel to more airports :rolleyes:

Anyways, any other options guys?

Thanks!

I'm getting the UA fare for USD700.80 total. Departing on the 15th.

Routing:

PEN-SIN MI357

SIN-MCO UA804 (plane changes in NRT and IAD though flight number remains the same)

edited to add: fare only valid till 16JUL.

Edited by Keith T

SQ vs. UA, well, this is a no-brainer....go for SQ, you won't regret. Just make sure u hv enough time at IAD, it's a mess up airport. Other than that, hv fun browsing more options! :drinks:

OH MY GOD ! No wonder they are losing money :lol:

Routing:

Keith, Min Chun is leaving in August :)

Keith, Min Chun is leaving in August :)

I meant the ticket has to be issued by 16JUL.

Routing:

PEN-SIN MI357

SIN-MCO UA804 (plane changes in NRT and IAD though flight number remains the same)

Oh God I missed out that bold word stating the lowest price. Found it. Thanks!

Keith I found this in fare rules.

PERMITTED 01JAN THROUGH 13JAN OR 23MAY THROUGH 07SEP OR 16NOV THROUGH 31DEC ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR. :mellow:

SQ vs. UA, well, this is a no-brainer....go for SQ, you won't regret. Just make sure u hv enough time at IAD, it's a mess up airport. Other than that, hv fun browsing more options! :drinks:

Huh..no brainer? Why say so Seth?

I get a deal which costs me around RM6634 for PEN to MCO :mellow:

But in the Option 2 I have provided, PEN-SIN and SIN-LHR is served by SQ

I meant the ticket has to be issued by 16JUL.

Great. If I am able to get the USD 700 it saves alot of bucks :clapping:

Hi Mun Chun,

Go for Keith's option. It also seems like a more straight forward route. Anyhow not for me to tell you how to spend your hard earned dough!!

Edited by Desmond Loo

Expedia is mentioning the option that Keith T suggested too. You have 2 options for the PEN-SIN sector to choose from but the overall cost remains USD 700.80.

Option 1:

MinChun1.jpg

Option 2:

MinChun2.jpg

11,201 miles, PEN-SIN-NRT-IAD-MCO, A320-2 B777s-B752, 38.5 hours journey.

Bon voyage and enjoy the long journey.

Keith I found this in fare rules.

PERMITTED 01JAN THROUGH 13JAN OR 23MAY THROUGH 07SEP OR 16NOV THROUGH 31DEC ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR. :huh:

That's the seasonality rule. It means you're only permitted to purchase this particular fare if your first intercontinental segment between Asia and North America (so in this instance that'd be the SIN-MCO segment) departs within the timeframes mentioned. So in a more complex itinerary such as PEN-SIN-HKG-ORD-MCO with multiple flight numbers, it doesn't matter what dates your intra Asian or intra North American segments are, your segment between Asia and the US (HKG-ORD) has to be within those timeframes mentioned in the rule. In your case you're fine as all your segments will be flown on the 15th or the 16th AUG.

You can also get 1 stopover on this fare for MYR140, but I'm not sure about the restrictions on this.

Edited by Keith T

Just a quick note - never book a "through" flight for SIN-NRT-IAD-MCO if you are after the miles. If you are flying UA 804 all the way (as in your ticket will say SIN-MCO, "Plane Change", you'll be credited 10,353 miles) while you'll be credited 10,853 miles if you break up your segments (SIN-NRT on UA 804, NRT-IAD on UA 804 and IAD-MCO on UA 804).

Plus, I'll avoid IAD at that time - you are arriving in the middle of the European bank and clearing customs and immigration on a good day will take at least 1 hour....I nearly missed my 2-hour connection at IAD once!

Contact 'Pelancongan Cepat Bersatu' (GSA for UA) in KL. Penang also has a branch I think. Or any reputable travel agents.

They have a special fare ex-Malaysia, guarantee cheaper than any internet fare.

Routing will be:

PEN-SIN-NRT/HKG-SFO/ORD-MCO

PEN by MH/SQ/MI (any carriers), fare already included in the ticket.

NRT or HKG will be the Asia transit city

SFO/ORD gateway hubs for UA

Another option will be by NW/DL (GSA is located in Menara TA One, I think):

PEN-SIN-NRT-MSP/DTW-MCO

PEN-SIN by MH (fare included in ticket)

MSP or DTW is NW's gateway hub

With DL/NW merged, I supposed this route may also be permissible:

PEN-SIN-NRT-ATL-MCO

CX also has CX+AA special

PEN-HKG-LAX or SFO - (AA/CX codeshare) - MCO

If MH or SQ, fly to their US destinations and purchase the domestic flights from e.g Virgin America, Jet Blue or Southwest.

:drinks:

Just a quick note - never book a "through" flight for SIN-NRT-IAD-MCO if you are after the miles. If you are flying UA 804 all the way (as in your ticket will say SIN-MCO, "Plane Change", you'll be credited 10,353 miles) while you'll be credited 10,853 miles if you break up your segments (SIN-NRT on UA 804, NRT-IAD on UA 804 and IAD-MCO on UA 804).

Plus, I'll avoid IAD at that time - you are arriving in the middle of the European bank and clearing customs and immigration on a good day will take at least 1 hour....I nearly missed my 2-hour connection at IAD once!

Great advice. You can use any UA flight between SIN and MCO so long as there's availability in Q class.

Great advice. You can use any UA flight between SIN and MCO so long as there's availability in Q class.

For instance, I managed to get the following for USD724 total:

1 MI 357K 15AUG J PENSIN SS1   915P 1040P /DCMI /E             
2 UA 896Q 16AUG S SINHKG SS1   640A 1025A /DCUA /E             
3 UA 862Q 16AUG S HKGSFO SS1  1145A  910A /DCUA /E             
4 UA 292Q 16AUG S SFOMCO SS1   130P 1005P /DCUA /E

The tax amount goes up when you break up the segments like that, but the base fare is the same.

wow...all the expert are giving you advice. this is a great forum!

i can only advice you on KE, are you interested on that?

rgds :drinks:

p/s:KE use their newest aircarft from ICN to US bound.

Edited by Yoong

I am posting on behalf on Min Chun, his connection is not stable.

Desmond, thanks! I'm still looking for cheapest but suitable deal :rolleyes:

Thanks Azizul! These are the flights that I am looking but the only problem is that I need to stay overnight in Changi until the next morning before catching another flight.

Craig, do you mean that never book a "through" flight for SIN-NRT-IAD-MCO if I am NOT after the miles? I shall put some attention on this then as I don't want to take any risk of missing flights.

Andi, what's PelanconganCepatBersatu? Do you have the number for Pen's or KL's branch?

I have contacted a few travel agents and they gave me the price of at least RM2600. They charge ex bucks comparing to internet fares.

I'm trying to book all the flights at once because I am not familiar with the airlines in States and worry that there may be higher chance of flight delay.

Keith, a noob question, what's Q class? :pardon:

EDIT:Keith I cant get that PEN SIN flight which lands at SIN at 1040 pm on 15/16 of August anymore

Guys, I don’t mind to fly with any airlines as long as the fare is reasonable. =)

Thanks Azizul! These are the flights that I am looking but the only problem is that I need to stay overnight in Changi until the next morning before catching another flight.

EDIT:Keith I cant get that PEN SIN flight which lands at SIN at 1040 pm on 15/16 of August anymore.

I think spending a night in SIN wouldn't be a problem. It is a much more comfortable airport than KUL, plus it is a major transit gateway. You can take a nap at maybe the Plaza Premium Lounge with a small fee, I believe they have a slumber room. Or you can sleep inside the movie theater in T2, or at the MTV couch nearby. Or I am so sure our Singaporean MW members would be glad to offer you a temporary shelter, don't they?

If you want this fare you have to get on the earlier MI flight. Because I checked on Expedia that if you start your journey from SIN, the lowest fare (although on the same UA flights) is USD 1,082. You can choose not to fly on that MI flight if you don't want to be in SIN too early. AK is having a promo for their PEN-SIN sector for MYR 5 one way, or MYR 36.50 all in. The last flight that arrive in SIN on 15 August with this fare is at 23:35, so you'll be spending about 7 hours at the airport. Act fast or this fare will be gone too.

I just checked on www.expedia.com, you can still get the MI 357 flight that arrive in SIN at 22:40 on 15 August 2009, but the price has increase slightly, from USD 700.80 to USD 713.00.

These are the flights that I am looking but the only problem is that I need to stay overnight in Changi until the next morning before catching another flight.

There is a transit hotel located at each Terminals (above the departure level on the airside, there is no need to clear immigration). Budget rooms are available at either T1 or T2, they are priced at a very reasonable rate of S$41.20 (approx RM100) per block of 6hrs. I stayed there in Feb - the rooms are small, windowless (could be claustraphobic for some) but comfortable. Showers are shared but they are very, very clean. You can reserve a room via the hotel's website (here). They do not require credit card guarantee.

Otherwise you can take Azizul's advice, find a quiet spot and get some sleep. There are some sleeper seats around too. :)

Keith, a noob question, what's Q class? :pardon:

EDIT:Keith I cant get that PEN SIN flight which lands at SIN at 1040 pm on 15/16 of August anymore

Q class is one of the cheaper discount economy fare classes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA_class_codes

This fare requires you to use Q on the UA segments, and K on the MI flight. So when looking for availability, these fare classes must be available to take advantage of that fare.

Hmm, I will have a look when I get home, but from what I saw last night there was still lots of availability on that MI flight.

Yes you do have to overnight in SIN on this fare, but i think the cost of overnight accomodation is offset by the amount of money saved with the cheaper fare. Otherwise, you could always try CX as they usually have great deals through local TAs.

Edited by Keith T

I am posting on behalf on Min Chun, his connection is not stable.

Andi, what's PelanconganCepatBersatu? Do you have the number for Pen's or KL's branch?

I have contacted a few travel agents and they gave me the price of at least RM2600. They charge ex bucks comparing to internet fares.

I'm trying to book all the flights at once because I am not familiar with the airlines in States and worry that there may be higher chance of flight delay.

Pelancongan Cepat Bersatu Sdn Bhd is the General Sales Agent (GSA) for UA in Malaysia.

KL Main office is located in Bangunan MAS. Tel: 03-2161-1433 (Look for Pauline or Diana)

Pen branch is located in Pengkalan Weld. Tel: 04-2636020 (Not sure if they still maintain this Penang branch)

FYI, Jul/Aug is summer peak. Hence, lower fare booking classes may not be available anymore, & you may have to fly in higher fare booking classes.

Since you're in PEN, I suggest you to 2 reputable travel agents, PST Travel & Ace Tours.

My suggestion:=>>>>>

MH XXX ........ PEN-KUL

KE 672 DAILY KUL-ICN 2345 0725+1....0...330

KE 035 DAILY ICN-ATL 1020 1100.... 0...744

BOOKING CLASS Q

AND

FROM ATL TO MCO EITHER TAKE DL OR FL (ONLY THESE 2 AIRLINES SERVE ATL-MCO V.V)

FL = AIRTRANS AIRWAYS

FARE IS -----AROUND-----AROUND---- MYR5470 (INCL PEN-KUL-PEN) + TAXES 222 + FUEL 976 = MYR6668

~~~~~EXPENSIVE~~~~~BUT THE BEST CONNECTING N BEST AIRLINE~~~~~ :drinks:

MAYBE PEN TRVL AGT CAN GIVE YOU DISCOUNT.....SO IF U R INTERESTED CALL PEN TRVL AGT.

OR

YOU CAN GO TO IAD INSTEAD OF ATL , THE FARE TO IAD IS THE SAME BUT FROM IAD TO MCO.....PLENTY OF AIRLINES CHOICE.

AIRLInE SERVE IAD - MCO:

UA / US /WN / B6 / FL

HOPE THIS HELP.

RGDS

p/s : fare are not include US domestic. ;-p

Edited by Yoong

If you see Expedia KUL-MCO, you can get it for $838.20.

Routing is MH KUL-PVG then PVG-ORD-MCO on UA.

The best thing about it is the travel time, just a bit over 24 hours compared to the 34-38 hours as suggested earlier in this thread.

But I guess thats mainly because this one is out of KUL.

PEN-KUL on AK is RM36 by the way.

Edited by jani

This fare requires you to use Q on the UA segments, and K on the MI flight. So when looking for availability, these fare classes must be available to take advantage of that fare.

Hmm, I will have a look when I get home, but from what I saw last night there was still lots of availability on that MI flight.

Yes you do have to overnight in SIN on this fare, but i think the cost of overnight accomodation is offset by the amount of money saved with the cheaper fare. Otherwise, you could always try CX as they usually have great deals through local TAs.

There's still plenty of availability on the MI flight you're looking for.

I'd echo Andi's advice to approach UA's GSA directly, and they might be able to work out a better deal for you. Perhaps also CX/AA's offices or their appointed local TAs.

Edited by Keith T

I second the Transit Hotel at Changi. Very reasonable price for comfy rooms. You can arrive, go to town and back by MRT which is also quite cheap and then spend the night at the transit hotel.

I'M POSTING ON BEHALF OF MIN CHUN BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN FACING CONNECTION PROBLEM FOR FEW DAYS

I think spending a night in SIN wouldn't be a problem. It is a much more comfortable airport than KUL, plus it is a major transit gateway. You can take a nap at maybe the Plaza Premium Lounge with a small fee, I believe they have a slumber room. Or you can sleep inside the movie theater in T2, or at the MTV couch nearby. Or I am so sure our Singaporean MW members would be glad to offer you a temporary shelter, don't they?

If you want this fare you have to get on the earlier MI flight. Because I checked on Expedia that if you start your journey from SIN, the lowest fare (although on the same UA flights) is USD 1,082. You can choose not to fly on that MI flight if you don't want to be in SIN too early. AK is having a promo for their PEN-SIN sector for MYR 5 one way, or MYR 36.50 all in. The last flight that arrive in SIN on 15 August with this fare is at 23:35, so you'll be spending about 7 hours at the airport. Act fast or this fare will be gone too.

I just checked on www.expedia.com, you can still get the MI 357 flight that arrive in SIN at 22:40 on 15 August 2009, but the price has increase slightly, from USD 700.80 to USD 713.00.

Yea I got the same price too from the UA official websites but then, ONLY those who have credit cards with registered-United States-mailing address can make the online booking. I don't have any other options of country to choose from when it comes to payment.

There is a transit hotel located at each Terminals (above the departure level on the airside, there is no need to clear immigration). Budget rooms are available at either T1 or T2, they are priced at a very reasonable rate of S$41.20 (approx RM100) per block of 6hrs. I stayed there in Feb - the rooms are small, windowless (could be claustraphobic for some) but comfortable. Showers are shared but they are very, very clean. You can reserve a room via the hotel's website (here). They do not require credit card guarantee.

Otherwise you can take Azizul's advice, find a quiet spot and get some sleep. There are some sleeper seats around too. :)

CHai and Azizul, I think I will look for the transit hotel. I have a glance on the websites last night. The only problem is I scare that I might just miss my flights if it's too comfy to sleep in. :pardon:

Thanks Keith! Most probably I will be taking PEN-SIN-NRT-IAD-MCO on 15 August which the agent offers me at RM2600. Arrives in SIN at 10.40 pm and and departure to NRT is 7.10am in the next morning.

Pelancongan Cepat Bersatu Sdn Bhd is the General Sales Agent (GSA) for UA in Malaysia.

KL Main office is located in Bangunan MAS. Tel: 03-2161-1433 (Look for Pauline or Diana)

Pen branch is located in Pengkalan Weld. Tel: 04-2636020 (Not sure if they still maintain this Penang branch)

FYI, Jul/Aug is summer peak. Hence, lower fare booking classes may not be available anymore, & you may have to fly in higher fare booking classes.

Since you're in PEN, I suggest you to 2 reputable travel agents, PST Travel & Ace Tours.

I contacted both of these TA before, but neither one of them seems to have the will to serve me.

I got a deal for RM2600 from another TA and I will try calling UA GSA to ask if there is cheaper deal. Thanks! Andi :drinks:

My suggestion:=>>>>>

MH XXX ........ PEN-KUL

KE 672 DAILY KUL-ICN 2345 0725+1....0...330

KE 035 DAILY ICN-ATL 1020 1100.... 0...744

BOOKING CLASS Q

AND

FROM ATL TO MCO EITHER TAKE DL OR FL (ONLY THESE 2 AIRLINES SERVE ATL-MCO V.V)

FL = AIRTRANS AIRWAYS

FARE IS -----AROUND-----AROUND---- MYR5470 (INCL PEN-KUL-PEN) + TAXES 222 + FUEL 976 = MYR6668

~~~~~EXPENSIVE~~~~~BUT THE BEST CONNECTING N BEST AIRLINE~~~~~ :drinks:

MAYBE PEN TRVL AGT CAN GIVE YOU DISCOUNT.....SO IF U R INTERESTED CALL PEN TRVL AGT.

OR

YOU CAN GO TO IAD INSTEAD OF ATL , THE FARE TO IAD IS THE SAME BUT FROM IAD TO MCO.....PLENTY OF AIRLINES CHOICE.

AIRLInE SERVE IAD - MCO:

UA / US /WN / B6 / FL

HOPE THIS HELP.

RGDS

p/s : fare are not include US domestic. ;-p

Yoong, thanks for helping me but it's too expensive for me. :sorry:

[

quote name=jani' date='May 7 2009, 12:05 PM' post='224464]

If you see Expedia KUL-MCO, you can get it for $838.20.

Routing is MH KUL-PVG then PVG-ORD-MCO on UA.

The best thing about it is the travel time, just a bit over 24 hours compared to the 34-38 hours as suggested earlier in this thread.

But I guess thats mainly because this one is out of KUL.

PEN-KUL on AK is RM36 by the way.

Jani I think most probably I will be taking the deal stated above which costs me RM2600(which is less than $838) :good:

But thanks for offering help Jani :good:

There's still plenty of availability on the MI flight you're looking for.

I'd echo Andi's advice to approach UA's GSA directly, and they might be able to work out a better deal for you. Perhaps also CX/AA's offices or their appointed local TAs.

Yea I will try to call and see if I can get better deal. :good:

I second the Transit Hotel at Changi. Very reasonable price for comfy rooms. You can arrive, go to town and back by MRT which is also quite cheap and then spend the night at the transit hotel.

I believe I won't be able to get myself out form Changi because we were not allowed to exit Changi too when we booked for flights to Melbourne last year. Only yearly-tickets holder are allowed to exit Changi if I am not mistaken.

Transit hotel would be a good choice :good:

By the way, guys and girls, THANKS FOR OFFERING HELPS!

I feel so good with dozens of different results & replied coming in and feel really touch as you guys could spend time on searching flights for me. Cool M-wingers! You guys rock! :good:

EDIT (8/5/09) : Was to post this reply last night but again I encountered connection problem again. I've called to GSA but the ticketing officer asked me to book the ticket from local Penang agent :good: :pardon:

I contacted ACE Tour but they offer me a deal costing me RM4k +, which is considered the chpeapest for them :pardon:

So I will be taking the RM2600 deal, departing on 15 of August. Thanks guys! :good:

Sign in to follow this