MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri

MH Online Fare-Crazy!

Hi guys,

I bought 2 return tickets to KBR yesterday for September travel and paid 738 RM (online). I thought I got a good deal when, to my horror, the same itenary costs 330 RM today. The price has been reduced to half!

I seriously thought its very unfair on MH part. I suppose early customer enjoys the benfits but its seems that its the other way around! Can someone explain? I feel bad now-for nagging my partner to buy tickets early!

Edited by Azri

Hi guys,

I bought 2 return tickets to KBR yesterday for September travel and paid 738 RM (online). I thought I got a good deal when, to my horror, the same itenary costs 330 RM today. The price has been reduced to half!

I seriously thought its very unfair on MH part. I suppose early customer enjoys the benfits but its seems that its the other way around! Can someone explain? I feel bad now-for nagging my partner to buy tickets early!

Care to share where you'd fly from? :rolleyes:

Always be patient when booking flights with MH. 3 days ago i booked KUL-LGK for LIMA, it's in December. Loh Wilson manage to get the RM32 one way tickets for the first flight from KUL to LGK, then back on the same day at night. When i booked, the first flight out of KUL was unavailable (RM32 fare sold out), i manage to book the RM32 for the return flight, including tax RM69.

So i left my KUL-LGK to be booked some other time, maybe AK will have a cheaper fare when they have their promo as i have ample time. The flight is in December. Then yesterday, after 2 days i rechecked, the RM32 fare for KUL-LGK is available again. So my return flight to LGK is just RM138. AK is more expensive as of yesterday.

So be patient!! Especially if you're flight is far far away.

Edited by Walter Sim

Always be patient when booking flights with MH. 3 days ago i booked KUL-LGK for LIMA, it's in December. Loh Wilson manage to get the RM32 one way tickets for the first flight from KUL to LGK, then back on the same day at night. When i booked, the first flight out of KUL was unavailable (RM32 fare sold out), i manage to book the RM32 for the return flight, including tax RM69.

So i left my KUL-LGK to be booked some other time, maybe AK will have a cheaper fare when they have their promo as i have ample time. The flight is in December. Then yesterday, after 2 days i rechecked, the RM32 fare for KUL-LGK is available again. So my return flight to LGK is just RM138. AK is more expensive as of yesterday.

Yes you are right. I booked AK flight two weeks ago (KUL -LGK on 5/12/09) and it cost me RM234 (returned) :angry:

Care to share where you'd fly from? :rolleyes:

Hi Azrin,

From KUL.

Thanks Walter for the advise. But how can we be sure that the fare will drop somewhere along the way? You advise us to take the risk and hope the price will drop? My worry was the date chosen was very close to Hari Raya holiday, so I do not see how the price will drop with the increasing demand.

Well what to do.. they say "no rezeki" but still.. so "sakit hati" :sorry:

Thanks Walter for the advise. But how can we be sure that the fare will drop somewhere along the way? You advise us to take the risk and hope the price will drop? My worry was the date chosen was very close to Hari Raya holiday, so I do not see how the price will drop with the increasing demand.

hahaha not really take the risk lah, i've said before only do this if you have AMPLE time between your flights. Mine is in December, so i have around 8 more months. Who know AK might throw a promo and u get to get cheap fares again. And yes Hari Raya maybe susah sikit... :)

<!--quoteo(post=218354:date=Mar 26 2009, 12:56 PM:name=Azri)-->

QUOTE (Azri @ Mar 26 2009, 12:56 PM)
<!--quotec-->Thanks Walter for the advise. But how can we be sure that the fare will drop somewhere along the way? You advise us to take the risk and hope the price will drop? My worry was the date chosen was very close to Hari Raya holiday, so I do not see how the price will drop with the increasing demand. Well what to do.. they say "no rezeki" but still.. so "sakit hati"<!--QuoteEnd-->
<!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this is the beauty of this whole deal of Promo Fares from the company's marketing point of view, we won't know when the airlines will come up with one, it's always a gamble. MH has proven that they went on to the extent of superseeding an ongoing promotion for a new promotion(!), so it's all just based on your luck. My suggestion is that, if you are a cost concious traveller, always wait for the 0 Fare promotion or just settle with any cheap promotions as your travel date is approaching.

But don't despair, because since you are paying a higher class ticket, it means you are more classier (glamorous and fabulous if you want to put it that way) than the passengers who paid a lower class fare and your ticket (is probably) comes with some flexibilities (date changeable subject to some fees, Enrich miles accruable etc, all of which are not applicable with the Promo fares tickets) [although these are qualities that are invisible to the naked eyes and only you knew about it, but what the heck right?].

I know how you feel Azri, been there, done that. Last Nov I bought KCH-SIN-KCH on 3K, despite 0 fare, I had to pay RM215, then when my friend decided to join me, I went online to buy his ticket, it was still 0 fare,total this time RM195...just a few weeks ago, I found out that the fare was only RM163...you tell me...sakit hati right? It is just pure luck i guess...

I know how you feel Azri, been there, done that. Last Nov I bought KCH-SIN-KCH on 3K, despite 0 fare, I had to pay RM215, then when my friend decided to join me, I went online to buy his ticket, it was still 0 fare,total this time RM195...just a few weeks ago, I found out that the fare was only RM163...you tell me...sakit hati right? It is just pure luck i guess...

Thanks Kenneth for sharing the pain.

I have been thinking if this fare structure is practiced by other airline companies or is it exclusively MH/AK?. I don't remember facing the same issue with other airline so far.

Ahh.. How I miss the old glorious days when fare is fixed and travel agent rules!

Ahh.. How I miss the old glorious days when fare is fixed and travel agent rules!

You miss those days ?! :shok: ..... :D

Those "we'll decide how you want us to rob you" days ! ;)

If I am not mistaken, I heard IJ said in one of his interviews, ticket price are not a fixed one with the current booking system. It can be up, it can be down at anytime...

There are few schools of thought in pricing strategy; one is to increase the price when getting closer to the travelling date regardless of booking (e.g. AK) ; two is to offer cheap ticket from time to time with the objective to fill up the aircraft; three is to offer cheap fare at the last minutes; or any combination.

Like many things in life, there isn’t absolute right or wrong but MH need to be consistent with its pricing strategy else won’t be easy to meet its objective.

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this