Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia X Takes Off From KL To London

My turn is May 12. :D

===

March 11, 2009 10:45 AM

AirAsia X Takes Off From KL To London

By M. Saraswathi

KUALA LUMPUR, March 11 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X finally took off for London, with 286 passengers on board, after almost a two-year delay.

AirAsia X, which operates the sector, is an affiliate of AirAsia Bhd, the parent company.

The destination was first announced in January 2007 and was targeted to begin in June the same year but was deferred to various reasons including higher leasing cost than.

AirAsia X will fly into Stansted Airport, Britain's third busiest airport, with 22.8 million passengers passing through and many leading low-cost airlines making it their base.

Ushering in the celebrations before the newly-acquired Airbus A340-300 took off at 9am from the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Sepang was AirAsia X Chairman Datuk Seri Kalimullah Hassan, chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani, Asean secretary-general Dr Surin Pitsuwan and British High Commissioner to Malaysia Boyd McCleary.

In London, the passengers will be received by the Duke of York, Prince Andrew, AirAsia Bhd chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes, British Airports Authority (BAA) managing director Steward Wingate and BAA's commercial and development director Nick Barton.

Among the passengers who bought the lowest fare seats was Jagjit Kaur, 28, who is flying to London on the inaugural flight with her parents, Laban Singh and Bhagwan Kaur, and younger brother, Jasmair Singh.

Among others are Sarah Brook, 29, and her fiance, Simon Mahmood, 28, who are enroute to London for their wedding.

Tickets for the inaugural London flight were opened for booking in November last year, with promotional seats priced at RM499/99 Pounds one-way.

The Kuala Lumpur-London sector received overwhelming response from travellers in Australia and Europe, AirAsia said in a statement today.

Dubbed as the "Kangaroo Route", AirAsia X provides affordable connectivity from London to Australian cities of Perth, Melbourne and Gold Coast with Kuala Lumpur as the hub.

-- BERNAMA

Interesting...no mention of a senior Malaysian government official or minister at the send-off.

Btw, there is this e-advert of the launch KL-LON on www.thestar.com.my

Somebody who did the graphics failed their geography lesson. "Malaysia" is missing Sabah & Sarawak, whilst "Britain" comprised of just England & Wales.

Interesting...no mention of a senior Malaysian government official or minister at the send-off.

Pretty odd/revealing considering the fact that pomp and circumstances is of utmost importance in Malaysia.

Edited by V Wong

Anyone know why the 2 hour delay?

RM200 compensation applicable ?

x286 pax

Wow, 57k down even before first flight gets off :D

Congratulations AirAsia X! Anyone know why the 2 hour delay? is it because of the pre departure celebrations

What 2-hr delay? 2-yr delay lah. See here:

KUALA LUMPUR, March 11 (Bernama) -- AirAsia X finally took off for London, with 286 passengers on board, after almost a two-year delay.

Anyway the plane is due to land at STN 1 hr early.

From Flightstats.com:

Arrival Status Details

Airport: (STN) Stansted Airport

City: London, EN, GB

Scheduled: 4:00 PM - Wed Mar 11, 2009

Estimated: 3:00 PM - Wed Mar 11, 2009 (runway)

Local Time: 11:40 AM - Wed Mar 11, 2009

What 2-hr delay? 2-yr delay lah.

My goodness, 2 years vs 2 hours

Initial estimation of 57k going to look like chicken feed then :p

wait.

when did the flight depart? What time?

Also, how long is the flight? i am getting conflicting infos here - some say 12, some say 13, some say 11 (without tailwind).

Dr Naim, apparently i will try X-Calibur first than you will go on later :D (check out my siggy)

wait.

when did the flight depart? What time?

Also, how long is the flight? i am getting conflicting infos here - some say 12, some say 13, some say 11 (without tailwind).

Dr Naim, apparently i will try X-Calibur first than you will go on later :D (check out my siggy)

Hi Guys,

I m new here, got some photo to share.

try click to add image but it only appear url, how do i add image from my folder?

thx ;-)

Hi Guys,

I m new here, got some photo to share.

try click to add image but it only appear url, how do i add image from my folder?

thx ;-)

Hello there jacktam.

Unfortunately, the internet does not work that way.

You need to upload the pictures/videos at a video/image hosting website.

For easy management, there's Flickr or Photobucket, but the former has a 100MB limit in bandwidth.

For not-so easy management, there's imageshack.us

Hello there jacktam.

Unfortunately, the internet does not work that way.

You need to upload the pictures/videos at a video/image hosting website.

For easy management, there's Flickr or Photobucket, but the former has a 100MB limit in bandwidth.

For not-so easy management, there's imageshack.us

thx. I try on that

11 March, 2009

AirAsia starts Stansted-KL flights

AirAsia flies its inaugural London Stansted to Kuala Lumpur flight today, the first low-cost, long-haul service connecting the UK to Asia.

The new service will initially operate five times per week, connecting to 64 destinations such as Bangkok, Phuket, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Bali from £10, and on to Australia for under £100.

AirAsia group CEO Tony Fernandes said: “Since Sir Freddie Laker’s Skytrain, no airline has ever managed to carry passengers this far at such low fares.

“This is a revolutionary moment for the aviation industry and a great day for passengers, who can have an amazing Asian experience for the price of travelling to Europe.

“Our sales have proved this business model not only works, but is flourishing in a tough market. Long-haul legacy carriers have charged too much for too long to millions and millions of passengers, and today we have made the sky a fairer place to fly”

“We are at the very beginning of realising our ambitions in Europe. We will aim to add more frequency to create a daily shuttle to Asia and lower our fares even further.”

The economy promo fare offered at £99 were all snapped up within 48 hours after the airline opened for sale last November.

Other regular fares offered at £149 and £199 one way were also sold very fast, said the airline.

The route will be serviced by an Airbus A340-300, which holds 286 seats including 30 XL seats which have a 60-inch pitch.

XL seats start at £699, with recent offers driving prices as low as £399.

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1135143.php

Ah yes, I see now (I normally switch off siggies). Great stuff! :D

Anyway STN is a good hub for me --> my May European trip is taking shape:

D72002 KUL-STN 12/05

U23005 STN-AMS 12/05

FR1928 CRL-AGP 18/05

FR8163 AGP-STN 24/05

D72003 STN-KUL 26/05

Sign in to follow this