MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

MH to cut costs MYR 1 billion by the end of the year

Malaysia Airlines To Cut Costs

October 20, 2008

Malaysia Airlines plans to cut MYR1 billion ringgit (USD$284 million) of costs by the end of the year to help it weather the global economic slowdown, Managing Director and CEO Idris Jala said on Monday.

"These include managing fuel hedging, fuel efficiency as well as maintenance and handling cost," he said, according to Malaysian state news agency Bernama.

He said for the past three years, MAS has managed to reduce costs by MYR1.8 billion.

"For this year, up to now, we have already reduced nearly MYR600 million of cost," he said.

(Reuters)

Fuel efficiency means new aircraft la, Mr Idris :D

Fuel efficiency by way of new aircraft procurement is no rocket science. All the experts here know about this.

There are however other ways of achieving fuel efficiency even without the obvious change to newer type. Maybe via operational improvements. It could be via research on how much boundary layer adhesion contributes to profile drag. It could be better alignment of aircraft control surfaces. Constant washing of turbine blades. Some too trivial but no less important however may be to boring to discuss here.

Many more little ways of doing things that can overall contribute to reduction of fuel consumption. 2% of reduction may not seem much, but what if the fuel bill was RM3 Billion?

never underestimate the power of stupid people :D

never underestimate the power of stupid people :D

haha. Wish more people, on this board at least, understand that.

Hmm,MYR 1 billion for cost cutting by the end of the year..

One suggestion,why don't all the 734s fitted with the winglets (for fuel savings)?

Just my 2 cents :pardon:

Capt Nik...while I respect you and realise that you (and other management officials who were pilots,engineers etc etc) have the knowledge and expertise...i really cannot believe that people like Munir and co. have the brains or ability to comprehend that! I don't! :)

That's why I think that government appointees should give way to the real experts. Therein lies the problem with MAS and other GLCs.

MAHB is run by someone who is NOT from a business background. his only claim to fame is being an executive in MAS

Edited by Izanee

Should we be even a bit concerned "maintenance" is mentioned in same breath as "cost cutting" ?

This absolutely is the most troubling and most noteworthy reading of the entire piece of news. With a fleet of ageing airplanes, maintenance costs will always have the potential to increase - just so that the fleet can be as fuel-efficient as possible and just so that the airplanes keep flying and don't suffer technical delays. It would be really interesting to see how MH's management intends to trim maintenance cost.

In a recent meeting with the CEO of Jin Air (an LCC subsidiary of Korean Air), he said that competition between Korea's LCCs (there are at least five of them now and more are joining in the fray) is extremely keen and Jin Air will do everything to control and manage ALL costs with the exception of maintenance and safety.

KC Sim

In efforts to trim costs, I wonder if MH will now resort to "bare legal minimums" (ala LCCs) versus best practices which normally come with buffers beyond legal minimums. No doubt, it will still be legal and acceptable, but leave little room to excuse errors and provide for exceptional situations.

MAS should sell or leased its 6 A380s as it really havent got the routes for them that can sustain the A380 except for KUL-LHR perhaps but then again maybe not 2 daily A380s.

there goes my Bonus for next year..So sad.they should get rid of the expact which cost them alot..Why pay 20-50k for expact while u can get a same qualified person in cheaper price.Yes,i mean Malaysian...kekeke

I thought all those expensive expats and "con-sultans" have already been removed several years ago. Are there still expats working at MH in Malaysia?

KC Sim