MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Delwin A

Closed Airstrip

Went jogging this afternoon and managed to take some pics of the Simanggang Old Airstrip (SGG/WBGY). It was built in the late 50s and was closed in the 70s due to lack of traffic.

The runway looks pretty much in a sad state now sad.gif

user posted image

The end of the runway is in a better shape

user posted image

A stadium was built at the other end of the runway a few years ago and the new indoor stadium is at the right. Yet to be opened

user posted image

Any other pics of closed airports/airstrips? Can share here smile.gif

Talking of closed airstrips I once read from a paper that in Kelantan there was an airport or likewise built in the early 40s by British. It was occupied by Japanese during the war and after that the airport was abandoned and was left dilapilated. Someday if I know where it is I'll go and check it out...anyone here knows where it is?

Also, anyone can compile a list of abandoned airstrips/airports for other fellows' interest? happy.gif

p/s I googled the word "Simanggang" and found "Cheap flights to Simanggang by Just the Flight". Is there any new airstrip there eh?? blink.gif

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Talking of closed airstrips I once read from a paper that in Kelantan there was an airport or likewise built in the early 40s by British. It was occupied by Japanese during the war and after that the airport was abandoned and was left dilapilated. Someday if I know where it is I'll go and check it out...anyone here knows where it is?

Also, anyone can compile a list of abandoned airstrips/airports for other fellows' interest? happy.gif

p/s I googled the word "Simanggang" and found "Cheap flights to Simanggang by Just the Flight". Is there any new airstrip there eh?? blink.gif

16143[/snapback]

In Kelantan? Is it Gong Kedak? I think got in fs2004 oso.

Cheap flights to Simanggang? But Simanggang is now known as Sri Aman blink.gif

our company is constructing the gong Kedak new hangar and extending the runway..

was it built in the 40's??

anyway..Delwin..nice job..got any new photos of old Sibu airport?

In Kelantan? Is it Gong Kedak? I think got in fs2004 oso.

Cheap flights to Simanggang? But Simanggang is now known as Sri Aman blink.gif

16144[/snapback]

No not Gong Kedak , which is a military strip that should still be operating. Most probably the dilapilated airstrip is around KB.

There is one little-known and very short airstrip in Benta, Pahang. I don't think it is closed as I notice that the surface is well maintained.

There is one little-known and very short airstrip in Benta, Pahang. I don't think it is closed as I notice that the surface is well maintained.

16639[/snapback]

Benta's airstrip I believe being used by Police Airwing Unit

No not Gong Kedak , which is a military strip that should still be operating. Most probably the dilapilated airstrip is around KB.

16150[/snapback]

Gong Kedak is now an RMAF forward base. It is now undergoing huge upgrading to house 18 Sukhoi 30 MKM fighter aircraft to arrive in late 2006 and 2007.

Foo,

Are you from KB? Would love to go for the search of the missing airfield in Kelantan.

Delwin,

Where is Simanggang? Kuching?

Edited by Fitri Shukri

Foo,

Are you from KB? Would love to go for the search of the missing airfield in Kelantan.

16704[/snapback]

Yup I am biggrin.gif Would like to find the aforementioned airfield but it would be kinda hard as I have yet to meet one who has any info about this. I knew about that when I read an article in a Chinese daily some 4 years ago. I should have kept that article... mad.gif

Simanggang(now there know as Sri Aman) is located near to Indonesia boarder in Sarawak. i guess it located around 200km from Sibu and Kuching.

Delwin, how do u jogging until 200km from Kuching to Simanggang? biggrin.gif

No lah.He's on 'Rest-N-Relax' in Sri Aman! tongue.gif

Del,try to find some wreckage remnants there.

I think we should establish 'MW Abandoned Airstrip Hunters',find relics of a bygone era!

Benta's airstrip I believe being used by Police Airwing Unit

16643[/snapback]

I suppose so, as there is a General Operations Force camp nearby.

No lah.He's on 'Rest-N-Relax' in Sri Aman! tongue.gif

Del,try to find some wreckage remnants there.

I think we should establish 'MW Abandoned Airstrip Hunters',find relics of a bygone era!

16740[/snapback]

I Want to join.. cool.gif

YiHao : No, I didn't jog from KCH to Sri Aman. Would be dead meat if i do so laugh.gif

Nick : No wreckage remnants here, but last time I collected many golf balls here tongue.gif

he used to fly there for weekend retreats... biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

16809[/snapback]

Waaa... Can I Join you Flying tak ??

Simanggang(now there know as Sri Aman) is located near to Indonesia boarder in Sarawak. i guess it located around 200km from Sibu and Kuching.

Delwin, how do u jogging until 200km from Kuching to Simanggang? biggrin.gif

16722[/snapback]

Is that where there is the famous 'river tidal wave' of Batang Lupar river?

BTW, how far is it from Engkelili or Lubok Antu?

Ibrahim,

What is the status of Batu Pahat air strip in Perlis? Is it still operational. Went there last time tried to find it but cannot find, nearly got lost (In small state Perlis also can get lost you know!)

Edited by Fitri Shukri

Fitri,

The last time I was in Sg Batu Pahat in 2003 for the Perlis Fly-in

and the lalang was cut a day before the arrival of the first aircraft.

So I believe since there's no longer planned Fly-in. so the lalang must

be taller than a man now... so no wonder you were lost looking for the

air strip.

So pix of Sg Batu Pahat during the 2003 fly-in here;

http://www.wingsoverasia.com/gallery/album27

And also the Taman Negara airstrip (Sg Tiang)

http://www.wingsoverasia.com/gallery/album12

Thank Norman for the Link.. thinking sometime about Sg. Batu Pahat Airstrip... biggrin.gif

Fitri,

Yes, Sri Aman is famous for the 'benak' or tidal bore occurance at Batang Lupar. But I seldom get to see it because it happened either late evenings, night time or even noon time. Sri Aman is located about half an hour's drive from Engkilili and about an hour drive from Lubok Antu

Sign in to follow this