MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ewan Shamsudin

Campaign for airlines' more prudent advertising

I'm procrastinating taking a break from exam-related work at the moment before writing a lengthy report on candidates' performance (what performance???).

So here's what I came up with:

ORIGINAL:

20080513-twfgpksntj3rhfgcctggdpgrjb.jpg

Source: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/ELFZERO/index.htm

MY EDIT:

20080513-8y6y4dn4m4iu3sbtqhwyxmwsa2.jpg

What do you think guys? Did I miss anything?

Now let's come up up AK's pulak.... heheheh!

Not bad,Ewan.

Well let's see...From my point of view,nothing's missing.But perhaps somebody could notice it.

I support this campaign 100%. We should have it implemented like in Australia.

The challenge is to take this matter beyond the General Aviation Forum in MW. Should we make a blanket bombardment in NST over this matter for maybe a month? How to get the attention of the Ministry of Transportation?

Perhaps Keith T (again, sorry, considering your political experience) or somebody can show us the right channel to address this matter so that it can become some sort like an Act.

Perhaps Keith T (again, sorry, considering your political experience) or somebody can show us the right channel to address this matter so that it can become some sort like an Act.

From a pragmatic point of view it usually needs to be an area of electoral concern for any issue to be on the legislative agenda. Letter writing campaigns to the media, your local MP, the relevant Minister all help to generate attention.

The other way is a class action against the offending airline/s. IIRC court decisions of this sort (usually on the basis of misleading and deceptive trade practices) forced changes in Germany and New Zealand. But this is potentially expensive and lengthy. Unless you can find a sympathetic law firm which would offer to take on the case pro bono, or a generous benefactor who'd fund such an action.

Edited by Keith T

Is it on selected days only? Because I picked a few dates during the early stage of the promo and they all have "0" fare. Now of course some of the seats already been taken. I think the best is they actually tell us how many seats on each flight is allocated as special fare. I believe a few years back MH did announced on newspaper how many seats for a certain fare to LHR and SYD.

Is it on selected days only? Because I picked a few dates during the early stage of the promo and they all have "0" fare. Now of course some of the seats already been taken. I think the best is they actually tell us how many seats on each flight is allocated as special fare. I believe a few years back MH did announced on newspaper how many seats for a certain fare to LHR and SYD.

Affirmative. Waiping, you didn't click on the dates which coincide with the school holidays. And holiday weekends.

Therefore in my opinion, it's not "everyday low fare" as claimed.

I think you can drop "on selected days", as this is already covered by "on selected flights."...as each bookable flight is already unique...e.g. only one ever MH1456 on 12June08.

You can drop 5-star....for reasons already discussed a zillion times elsewhere.

"all inclusive" can be replaced with the words "Nett". But in fine print at the bottom, just expand further that the fare is including everything.

"On covered access to aircraft" - you need to manage KUA and LGK. Can't think of a substitute rite now.

As for "food on board" - well, peanuts can be considered as food, but that is stretching the definition. How about "refreshments"?

Yes let's have the truth in advertising!

30% on each/selected flight as mentioned earlier? :pardon:

seems like the "new" advertiser only concern about BKi-KUL-KBR vv. route. :rofl: :rofl: jk... :p

30% on each/selected flight as mentioned earlier? :pardon:

seems like the "new" advertiser only concern about BKi-KUL-KBR vv. route. :rofl: :rofl: jk... :p

Well, simply because that's the sector he flies most in every calendar year.

Sam, Kenneth, naughty you. When can we use your car to spot 'on' again? Heheheh.

My only concern in this thread is for more truth in advertising. This is to prove that the ads can still (if not more) be appealing even when more truthful information is shown -- at least for me.

I have no personal agenda for this (this time around, hehehe). All my flights for the year have all been booked. OK la, the KUL-BKI, KUL-KBR fares shown there are selectively random! Hahahah.

Here's an updated version of the ad:

20080513-nxent6js3n2aqp57gpj8jkep2n.jpg

Following Mushrif's response, I have:

1. put inverted commas " ' ' " on 5-star because Skytrax still says so, no?

2. added "... at most airports" to "Covered access to aircraft" because KUA and LGK don't have aerobridges.

3. changed "all inclusive" with "nett". It's globally understood.

4. added more details to the asterisk.

Good idea.

I like to see the words "all inclusive". (Nett can mean different things in different countries, so some foreigners will be confused as to what "nett of taxes" would mean).

I like the words "all inclusive" so much that I don't even bother looking at ryanair or easyjet anymore. Swiss Int airlines shows all its fares as "all inclusive", and that to me is a lot more attractive than "zero fares" because with the latter, you always have a bad feeling that its going to end up being not at all cheap.

Actually can put a big * next to the text and put very small print on the bottom.

Terengganu got bridge?

Yes they do now.

Here's an updated version of the ad:

20080513-nxent6js3n2aqp57gpj8jkep2n.jpg

One thing about being more truthful is that the once simple advert now looks like a thesis. Before long, maybe one needs a double PhD to decipher it.

One thing about being more truthful is that the once simple advert now looks like a thesis. Before long, maybe one needs a double PhD to decipher it.

Consumers now are more educated. They need to be.