MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Ong

9M-MHL / 9M-MHM

Boeing should actually consider converting former 9M-MHL & 9M-MHM to LCFs rather than leaving them rotting in the desert somewhere in USA. Wonder why they chose to purchase from other airlines like our 9M-MPA that is now in Taiwan awaiting conversion?

It could be due to various reasons, such as price of acquisition, ownership and etc. If you haven't noticed, all B747LCFs seems to carry P&W engines. While the ex-MAS combi birds 9M-MHL and MHM are GE powered. Boeing no longer owns both 9M-MHL and 9M-MHM as well, so these are amongst the reasons.

Last time I checked both are now owned by Guggenheim aviation. An aircraft leasing company which i think have ties with the Guggenheim museums around the globe.

Oh heck, if they are now owned by a group whose primary concern is museums, what chance of those neo-jurassic birds ever flying again ?! :)

Now that may not be too bad an alternative - much better than being cannibalized for spares, then scrapped for the metal !

Any updates on these 2 Birds? The last update we have from Airliners.net is in November 2006 is that ex 9M-MHL (N73713) is on testing in Seattle Boeing Field

-MHL I dunno, but -MHM is now reg'd to Kalitta with the mark N402SY reserved (she's currently N73714 - MHL is 73713). I presume -MHM is in for F conversion.

Just a bit off topic, anyone know how many -200 & -300 combi's MH operated?

I flew KUl-SYD-MEL on one of them in 1997, but not sure which version? Any help appreciated.

Two 747-236's (Pure pax, RR powered) and one 747-3H6 (Combi bird, PW powered)

I believe there were some other leased in 747-200's as well

Edited by BC Tam

Two 747-236's (Pure pax, RR powered) and one 747-3H6 (Combi bird, PW powered)

I believe there were some other leased in 747-200's as well

Yes there were quite a few leased in 747-200 bird. I remember one of them being Air NZ's 747-219 (RR powered). I recall seeing an Air NZ 742 in hybrid MAS/Air NZ livery during the mid 90s.

It is but a very hazy recollection, being what must have been 30+ years ago, but I think I saw a DC-10 in hybrid MAS/Air NZ colours at Kai Tak once

Back then, yours truly understood nothing about the concept of aircraft leasing ('you own the plane, you fly it' was the default belief !) Probably the only reason I remember anything was the confusion arising from seeing the MAS titles against the blue/green stripes of Air NZ :)

Two 744s had already been converted by EGAT into LCFs (current rego: N780BA, N747BC) . The latest one (rego N249BA, also ex-MAS) was seen here on Apr 9 supported by a/c jacks.

img_2697822.jpg

Two 744s had already been converted by EGAT into LCFs (current rego: N780BA, N747BC) . The latest one (rego N249BA, also ex-MAS) was seen here on Apr 9 supported by a/c jacks.

img_2697822.jpg

That picture seems familiar,it looks like a picture that i took from someone elses camera in TPE.lol.anyway i didn't really expect to see one(DREAMLIFTER) there.

That picture seems familiar,it looks like a picture that i took from someone elses camera in TPE.

The pic was taken by a Taiwanese friend...he works in EVA's IT dept. Several versions are available on Taiwanese sites such as inside hangar, test-flights or covered in green paint just before conversion.

It is but a very hazy recollection, being what must have been 30+ years ago, but I think I saw a DC-10 in hybrid MAS/Air NZ colours at Kai Tak once

Back then, yours truly understood nothing about the concept of aircraft leasing ('you own the plane, you fly it' was the default belief !) Probably the only reason I remember anything was the confusion arising from seeing the MAS titles against the blue/green stripes of Air NZ :)

Another possibility is that MAS have acquired DC-10s from Air NZ. Air NZ made the DC-10s redundant after the crash at South Pole during the 1970. Since then, Air NZ had stopped using DC-10s and withdrew from offering the tour circling Antarctica.

Sign in to follow this