MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Ultra-Long-Haul: Who’s Flying Where?

A growing number of airlines are introducing ultra-long-haul services. Early in March, Emirates opened what for now is the world’s longest route, from Dubai to Auckland. It will be superseded by Qatar Airways’ Doha, Qatar-Auckland flight, to be launched in December. Other airlines are planning similarly long flights, such as United Airline’s San Francisco-Singapore route. Carriers are taking advantage of lower fuel prices, which make ultra-long-haul missions more economically viable, and the availability of new more fuel-efficient widebody aircraft—such as the Boeing 787-9 and the Airbus A350—as they grow their networks. For now, the Boeing 777-200LR remains the standard aircraft for the segment.

More: http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/ultra-long-haul-who-s-flying-where?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20160321_AW-05_885&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000001730546&utm_campaign=5356&utm_medium=email&elq2=2d41334577484f78b9c36c8fdc86f2b9#slide-6-field_images-1425121

Europe Beckons For Asia’s Long-Haul LCCs

LONG-DISTANCE RACE
  • Scoot plans world’s longest LCC flight
  • NokScoot seeks seven more Boeing 777s
  • AirAsia X has moved into the black as network grows
  • Multiple options exist for AirAsia X to reach Europe
The Asia-Pacific region still serves as a Petri dish for the long-haul, low-cost carrier (LCC) concept. However, there is no longer any question about whether the experiment is sustainable. Airlines in this category are growing rapidly as they spread their networks across Asia, and are now beginning to set their sights further afield.
While long-haul LCCs have also appeared elsewhere, they are most prevalent in Asia. The vast distances and less-mature markets are well suited to this business model. Most of these carriers have struggled to break even, leading many observers to doubt their viability. But this perception is changing as the former upstarts come of age.
Malaysia-based AirAsia X (AAX) is regarded as the standard bearer for long-haul LCCs. The airline is finally out of the red, and is launching new routes within and beyond Asia. AAX has repeatedly said it intends to fly to Europe, although it appears that fast-growing Singapore LCC Scoot will beat it to the punch.
Scoot plans to introduce Singapore-Athens, Greece, service on June 20, 2017, using Boeing 787-8s. The carrier asserts this will not only be its longest route at over 10,000 km (5,400 nm), but also the longest flight operated by any LCC.
The current Scoot network encompasses destinations across Asia and Australia. It began flying to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in May, which is currently its longest flight. It also introduced its first flights to India in the same month.

I believe Scoot can withstand the fluctuations of oil price given their latest aircraft has better fuel economy over NokScoot's old 777 and AirAsia X's A333.

A333 works fine within 9 hour range but beyond that they cant beat 787.

I believe Scoot can withstand the fluctuations of oil price given their latest aircraft has better fuel economy over NokScoot's old 777 and AirAsia X's A333.

A333 works fine within 9 hour range but beyond that they cant beat 787.

Hopefully AirAsia X will take delivery of their A350XWB, they are one of early A350XWB adopters. I am keeping my fingers crossed since the day they placed an order for 55 A330neo.

Hopefully AirAsia X will take delivery of their A350XWB, they are one of early A350XWB adopters. I am keeping my fingers crossed since the day they placed an order for 55 A330neo.

They will probably take delivery of the more expensive A350-900 as soon as oil prices surge above US$100... Right now, many airlines have reviewed their fleet plans and pushing back capital expenditure due to low fuel prices. Capex can depress profits and performance bonuses!

The A330neo is cheaper to acquire and with their new Trent 7000 engines can seriously challenge the B787 when you look at total cost of operations. So CASK should be very competitive.

I once spoke to Azran (before he left), who hinted that the A350's may not be in the plans anymore after they ordered the Neos.

(obviously this was some time ago, and Azran was still at the helm and things may have changed)

I once spoke to Azran (before he left), who hinted that the A350's may not be in the plans anymore after they ordered the Neos.

(obviously this was some time ago, and Azran was still at the helm and things may have changed)

According to AirasiaX's published fleet plans, the A350's have not featured for quite some time. Their plans up to 2019 only state A339neos arriving and some A333's leaving.

According to the Airbus Orders and Deliveries spreadsheet, Airasia X still has 10 A359s on order. Ex-CEO Azran has mentioned that this order is flexible and can be converted to other aircraft types.

On short haul, LCC's short turn around increase aircraft utilization i.e increase number of sectors flown per day.

On sector over 8 hours, beside cramping more pax (to reduce CASK), there is little cost advantage for LCC. For long haul LCC to be competitive and sustainable, could only feasible with smaller capacity aircraft, so that flight could be filled year round.

Sign in to follow this