MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

AK 320 tail strike

Wah, sounds interesting... I wonder what a landing tail-strike is like and what it's like being in the plane...

Please shed more light on the incident if there is any... :) Thanks!

Perhaps the demand for more pilots put pressures for them to perform. Though I can say I have confidence... I sure do hope that any economic or whatever demands from the uninformed directives won't compromise any kinds of training, be it flying the aircraft nor making sure the planes are fit to fly.

A320 tail strike is quite a big deal. The aircraft sits higher than the B737 and for the tail to strike the deck angle must be very steep. There must be a number of reasons why it happened. But its not too bad for AK's record considering the number of take-offs and landings per day that they do.

I don't think we need to kaypoh too much. The AK management will launch an investigation, DCA will be in the act, the appropriate knuckles will be rapped, punishment/s will be doled out, and if its a repeat offender, he'll probably lose his job and join another airline in a heartbeat.

Frankly, I do sorta blink at the fact that kids are in charge of many millions of USD's worth of hardware plus hundreds of human lives. Heck I'm even worried if my 24-yr-old daughter has to drive my old beaten-up Wira all the way from Penang!

Frankly, I do sorta blink at the fact that kids are in charge of many millions of USD's worth of hardware plus hundreds of human lives. Heck I'm even worried if my 24-yr-old daughter has to drive my old beaten-up Wira all the way from Penang!

Some of the kids are ah mois.... :pardon:

I guess they do have to start somewhere, sometime. :pardon:

But that is also when they are competent enough to operate the 'big toy'.

Doc, aircraft operations today are a lot different from the days of old. These kids, with PROPER training have shown better adaptibility to automation than those who are older but with the same flight experience.

The MAS Cadet program was put in place since 1972, picking up absolute greenhorns with only First Grade MCE under their belt. At 18 years old they are inducted into Flying school graduating some 18 months later. After a three month type rating, followed by about 100 sectors of Route training on Comercial schedule, they are commisioned as co-pilots.

The there are the older private candidates who pay their way through flying schools joining the type rating class together wih the cadets and we have seen that the Cadets constantly outperform the private candidates. Clearly, age is of no issue, but it the methodology of training that matters most.

I have flown with greenhorn cadets, older co-pilots who paid their way through flight training, ex RMAF and even experienced expatriates from countries ranging from Indonesia to Australia. The greenhorns are in no way superior, and at times are better at the job than their older colleagues.

BTW, some copilots who hold ATPL have not even obtained their drivers' licenses at the time they operate the heavy jets.

And now with further consolidation training such as CRM, they are even better suited to the job. And the 'ah mois' are equal to or better at the job than their male counterparts.

Do agree , but it all comes in the end to whether or not the pilot itself is really flying for the sake of his/her interest in flying rather than the salary factor. Those who love their job because they love flying tend to be better prepared for anything than those who just fly for the sake of earning an income.

Some may not agree with me, but thats how i see it. :pardon:

......, followed by about 100 sectors of Route training on Comercial schedule, they are commisioned as co-pilots.

Heard there is some differences in number of training sectors between AK and MH.

Heard there is some differences in number of training sectors between AK and MH.

I am referring to MH of course. AK may have 'better' and cost effective ways of handling training.

Doc, aircraft operations today are a lot different from the days of old. These kids, with PROPER training have shown better adaptibility to automation than those who are older but with the same flight experience.

Thanks for the assurance, Kapten. I can't help but contrast it to my own daughter (mentioned above), who's in her final medic semester now. And 7 long yrs after her MCE, she's yet to qualify for her medical degree. It has been a tough slog for her, getting into med school and going through the tedious process, but at the end of the day, she would probably be responsible for just a few hundred thousand USD's worth of stuff and one life at any one time. Interesting juxtaposition?

Youngsters flying huge jets carrying hundreds of lives all over the place are ok with me, I guess, just that they should not lose sight of the huge responsibilities thrusted upon their young shoulders. I do sometimes feel a tad anxious seeing a rather raw skinny chap accompanying a much older (fatter) guy in the cockpit. In the *unlikely event* that the older bloke gets incapacitated, can this kid actually bring the plane down safely & *comfortably*? I sure hope so. :)

i am trying to locate the weather of 15th June...i cant get them.

I wish i can get the actual weather at that time of "strike" maybe weather related.

Pity BOTH PILOTS.

I wish them well, back to flying.

Youngsters flying huge jets carrying hundreds of lives all over the place are ok with me, I guess, just that they should not lose sight of the huge responsibilities thrusted upon their young shoulders. I do sometimes feel a tad anxious seeing a rather raw skinny chap accompanying a much older (fatter) guy in the cockpit. In the *unlikely event* that the older bloke gets incapacitated, can this kid actually bring the plane down safely & *comfortably*? I sure hope so. :)

Nothing beats the young hot blood trying to prove how capable they are, isn't it? I think I'll try my best to take comfort from that. :pardon:

i am trying to locate the weather of 15th June...i cant get them.

hope this help TK :), not sure how accurate is't.... :pardon:

from 1800 to 0000

WMKK 151600Z 14002KT 9999 FEW017CB BKN280 27/25 Q1010 NOSIG

WMKK 151530Z 14003KT 9999 FEW017CB BKN280 28/25 Q1009 NOSIG

WMKK 151500Z 14003KT 9999 FEW017CB SCT140 BKN280 28/25 Q1010 NOSIG

WMKK 151430Z 15003KT 9999 FEW017CB SCT140 BKN280 28/25 Q1009 NOSIG

WMKK 151400Z 13003KT 9999 FEW017CB BKN280 28/25 Q1009 NOSIG

WMKK 151330Z 09004KT 9999 FEW017CB BKN280 29/25 Q1009 NOSIG

WMKK 151300Z 14004KT 9999 FEW017CB BKN280 29/25 Q1008 NOSIG

WMKK 151230Z 14003KT 9999 FEW030 SCT140 BKN280 29/25 Q1008 NOSIG

WMKK 151200Z 15002KT 9999 FEW030 SCT140 BKN280 29/25 Q1007 NOSIG

WMKK 151130Z 13006KT 090V160 9999 FEW030 SCT140 BKN280 30/25 Q1007 NOSIG

WMKK 151100Z 16003KT 9999 FEW017CB SCT140 BKN280 30/26 Q1006 NOSIG

WMKK 151030Z 18003KT 9999 FEW017CB SCT140 BKN280 31/26 Q1006 NOSIG

WMKK 151000Z 16004KT 100V210 9999 FEW017CB SCT140 BKN280 31/25 Q1006 NOSIG

Edited by LeeTZ

Nothing beats the young hot blood trying to prove how capable they are, isn't it? I think I'll try my best to take comfort from that. :pardon:

Sure, but not at my expense, thanks. :)

I've looked at every possible way of this happening without the captain being able to do something about it ..

I am seriously quite amazed this could happen ..

Captain was quite a senior one as well , and the F/O , not so new , but from the 737 line , up to the 320 not so long ago ...

Perhaps captain shud've paid more attention .

Nevertheless , ANU at least 13.2 degrees to perform this ... 13.2 degrees is quite wow actually ... The airbus has all sorts of features to prevent this from happening ..

But I guess , sh*t happens

Who is the captain and who is the F/O?

Even if you know them, it is not appropriate to name them in a public forum. Especially when it is still not known who is really at fault. Could be crew, weather, maintenance, design, company policy.... or combination of those.

I've looked at every possible way of this happening without the captain being able to do something about it ..

I am seriously quite amazed this could happen ..

Captain was quite a senior one as well , and the F/O , not so new , but from the 737 line , up to the 320 not so long ago ...

Perhaps captain shud've paid more attention .

Nevertheless , ANU at least 13.2 degrees to perform this ... 13.2 degrees is quite wow actually ... The airbus has all sorts of features to prevent this from happening ..

But I guess , sh*t happens

Perhaps u could use less jargons and initials for things like ANU(what the heck is it?), not all of us are pro simmers hehe.. sorry for my lack of intellect in this sim/real pilot thingy .. tunjuk ajar sikit.. terima kasih (give guidance.. thank u)

Even if you know them, it is not appropriate to name them in a public forum. Especially when it is still not known who is really at fault. Could be crew, weather, maintenance, design, company policy.... or combination of those.

And also of what value is it in knowing their identities? The stigma of being involved in an incident even if they are not direct contributors will cause any concientious pilot to lose sleep. The ' I should have done .....instead' scenario will be constantly playing in their heads. Right or wrong, its a situation no pilots want to be in.

Perhaps u could use less jargons and initials for things like ANU(what the heck is it?), not all of us are pro simmers hehe.. sorry for my lack of intellect in this sim/real pilot thingy .. tunjuk ajar sikit.. terima kasih (give guidance.. thank u)

Haha! Agree with you Iggy as I always see stars too :rolleyes:

I guess ANU must be something to do with the angle when the plane flares before touchdown ??? Just a wild guess :p

*runs for cover*

Sign in to follow this