MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Levent

Nerve-breaking go-around at Hamburg

Guest Levent

Hi guys,

Just came across this video of a go-around at Hamburg Airport last Saturday. The crew was attempting to land during a severe storm. The wind picked up the right wing and forced the left wing down, making the tip hit the runway. Kudos for the crew for managing to make a safe go-around, although maybe they shouldn't have attempted to land in the first place...

Oh my god!!! Seconds from disaster. The clip is now at the front page of yahoo.com. I had experinced some techical problems which caused the aircraft that I fly with to return back to the departing airport in MARCH 2004. It was a LUFTHANSA flight and the flight was originated from HAMBURG. Coincident isn't it?

Who filmed the video? An aircraft spotter? Kudos to him!

Who filmed the video? An aircraft spotter? Kudos to him!

A spotter took the video, from the threshold area. Another spotter took the still picture of the wingtip kissing the runway from abeam.

Guess spotting is not such a bad thing after all....... :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

Edited by Radzi

It never was a bad thing, infact it is useful for the investigating team should any mishap happens. The only idiots who don't get the possitive side of spotting it is our very own Mike Alpha Bravo <_>

my goodness... :shok: btw, kudos to the crew... :clapping:

It never was a bad thing, infact it is useful for the investigating team should any mishap happens. The only idiots who don't get the possitive side of spotting it is our very own Mike Alpha Bravo <_>

the white pick-up group ke?

Edited by Samuel Chy

Thanks to the pilot,no one die.. :good: :good:

Just wondering ... what made the pilot(s) want to land in the first place? According to a passenger on the plane interviewed on CNN, the plane was all over the place during approach, sometimes he was up in the air, only held back by the seatbelt.

Yeah, and that once is enough to cause everyone a traumatic experience... sure enough the pilot would need a long break after landing.. but nevertheless good handling :drinks:

That hovering in the air like a sumo-fight with one heck strong gust of winds were nerve-wrecking to watch! I didn't even hear the spotter utter any sounds at all, perhaps he was busy gritting his teeth, not until the slight pat of the right wing on the tarmac.

Just wondering ... what made the pilot(s) want to land in the first place? According to a passenger on the plane interviewed on CNN, the plane was all over the place during approach, sometimes he was up in the air, only held back by the seatbelt.

Maybe the wind reported was within limitation, weather visibility wise ok, at least try once before divert.

Hmm.. that's a fair explanation. Correct me if I am wrong, but pilots usually discuss the potential for a go-around before every landing, right?

Hmm.. that's a fair explanation. Correct me if I am wrong, but pilots usually discuss the potential for a go-around before every landing, right?

Correct, especially when facing bad weather. I believe in MAS at least the pilots are trained to be go-around minded rather than to press on to land.

Posted by a friend, taken from somewhere I don't know;

The video shows the Airbus narrowbody, inbound from Munich,> crabbing its way against a strong quartering headwind towards the> runway. The wind came courtesy of a winter storm that> brought Category 3 winds to the area, and closed several other> airports.>> Things turned wonky when the pilot attempted to transition> out of the crab to land. Even as the right, upwind wing lowered,> the aircraft continued to be pushed to the left.>> As the pilot attempted to straighten things out with the rudder,> the airliner smacked the runway hard on its left maingear... and> then things really got interesting, as a gust of wind lifted the> right wing, tipping the aircraft until its left wingtip hit the> pavement.>> It's just after that point the video shows the engines spooling> up, and the aircraft taking flight once again... narrowly avoiding> a similar strike to its right wing in the process.>> A spokesman for Lufthansa praised the flight crew's handling of> what he described as a sudden "155 mph" wind gust. "It was a dicey> situation. People were quite shaken," Wolfgang Weber told CNN. He> added the pilots performed an "absolutely professional> maneuver.">> The pilot, said to be a 17-year Lufthansa veteran, reportedly> requested an alternate runway... and the aircraft landed> uneventfully about 10 minutes later. After repairs to the plane's> left wing fence, the A320 was back in service Sunday.>> Germany's Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation> will examine whether the airport erred in keeping the runway> active.>> While some will question the crew's decision to continue the> approach in such horrendous conditions -- at one point prior to> touchdown, the aircraft appears to be crabbing at a> nearly-45-degree angle to the runway, and the airliner was buffeted> by strong winds throughout its approach -- Axel Raab, spokesman for> Deutsche Flugsicherung, which handles air traffic control> operations in Germany, said neither the flight crew nor the tower> appeared to be at fault.>> "I don't want to anticipate the results of the> investigation, but at first sight no one has anything to answer> for," Raab said.>> No matter what the investigation uncovers... we suspect this is> one video that's going to be recommended viewing for all pilots for> years to come

The Pilots did a good job of recovering from a situation they put the plane in in the first place.Even if the wind was within limits as reported by the tower, the approach looks so unstabilised that a go around should have been initiated way before attempting touchdown.

Besides, there is a wind velocity indicator on the PFD or ND which gives a far more accurate reading that tower reported wind.Crabbibg with the angle as seen on the video is indicative of crosswind component that is exceeding the wet runway crosswind limit of the aircraft. Even if successful landing was nade, there is no guarantee that the aircraft can stay within the confines of the paved surface on rollout.

The two in the cockpit deserve no kudos in my humble opinion.

Edited by Nik H.

Same thing happened to the Dragon Air Cargo 747 which lost 3 engines and debris were left on the runway. Both captain and FO were suspended.

Same thing happened to the Dragon Air Cargo 747 which lost 3 engines and debris were left on the runway. Both captain and FO were suspended.

Simon, any more info? :drinks:

Sign in to follow this