MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fairul

Hamad International Airport, Doha

I remembered using the current faciliites 6 years ago and the terminal was littered with "bodies" on the floor. Looking forward to using the new airport one day.

MAHB shortlisted for New Doha International

Malaysia Airports Holdings Behad (MAHB) believes it has a good chance of securing the contract to run airport operations and structure maintenance of facilities at New Doha International Airport.

According to statement by MAHB’s chief operating officer Datuk Abdul Hamid Mohammed Ali, MAHB is one of the companies invited to submit best and final offers for the contract.

With an anticipated launch date later this year the New Doha International Airport is rounding up its final tenders as the new airport, which according to many will be more in keeping with Qatar’s contemporary skyline, will greatly increase passenger capacity through the airport.

Malaysia, recognised as one of the Asian ‘Tiger economies’ has achieved greater penetration into the international markets mainly thanks to its strategic investment in raising educational standards and most recently with its Airport Holdings becoming one of the shortlisted companies to effectively run the New Doha Airport.

Established in 1991 by the Malaysian parliament, MAHB went public in November 1999 and became the first airport operating company to be listed on an exchange in Asia and sixth in the world. Having successfully run all of Malaysia’s 39 airports (International and Domestic), it has proven itself as a lynchpin in Malaysia’s development as the volumes of visitors continue to grow on an annual basis.

NDIA covers an area in excess of 22km2, mainly constructed on reclaimed land which had previously been used as a landfill. The airport will have the ability to handle 50 million passengers annually, making it it three times the size of the current airport and six times the capacity. At last count, project budget had more than doubled to $11bn.

http://www.construct...-international/

New photos - aerial view

NDIA--34.jpg

The aircraft wash facility with Maintenance Hangar at the background

NDIA--43.jpg

The Air Traffic Control Center

NDIA--63.jpg

The air traffic control center and the Cargo Hangar

NDIA--93.jpg

The Catering Facility

NDIA--108.jpg

The East Runway aka RWY 34R-16L. At 4.8km, it will be one of the longest runway around.

NDIA--142.jpg

The main terminal building with the North Node still under construction.

NDIA--114.jpg

The main terminal building and Concourse B

NDIA--135.jpg

Closer look at Concourse A and its gate

NDIA--123.jpg

The main terminal and the main mosque

NDIA--168.jpg

The main mosque

NDIA--183.jpg

The Emiri Terminal aka VVIP Terminal

NDIA--10.jpg

The Maintenance Hangar

NDIA--244.jpg

The new highway network heading to the main terminal building and the Emiri Terminal

Edited by Fairul

4km from the old airport meaning to say it's really not that far from city center, right? So no plan/need for rail or high-speed rail facility?

Sorry haven't been to Doha. I have a habit of looking for rail services when arriving at a foreign airport. :p

Went through Doha last week. And god I hate that airport so much..... It is fast becoming a reason why I will never choose Qatar again until things change .

mind to share why you hate it so much?

Went through Doha last week. And god I hate that airport so much..... It is fast becoming a reason why I will never choose Qatar again until things change .

Agreed, I'll only pass through DOH when new terminal ready.

4km from the old airport meaning to say it's really not that far from city center, right? So no plan/need for rail or high-speed rail facility?

Sorry haven't been to Doha. I have a habit of looking for rail services when arriving at a foreign airport. :p

Basically the new airport is just next door to the current DOH, separated by a new network of highway. High speed rail facility is in the plan, in fact the station box for the rail system at NDIA has been completed late last year. It all depends how the masterplan for Qatar Rail System turn up which will be unveiled soon. ( there are so many talks about this I dont which one is true )

mind to share why you hate it so much?

DSC_0196-1.jpg

Look at this, taken in peak hours last March, around 730pm. The current airport is way too small to and based from reports last year, DOH handled around 18++mil pax, which most of it are transit pax. So you can imagine how busy it can be, so I cant blame for those who transited here before and complained. Facilities at the airport are basic and nothing fancy ala DXB T3 or the new AUH T3, but it still serve it purpose. I do like DOH because its lees hassle for me .( i can say that coz im based here) :p

I travelled via Doha to KUL ... i have to say, Doha old airport is nothing like the glitz and glamour of DXB with its artificial palm trees etc etc. However, I preferred Doha as it was less busy than DXB. The DXB T3 is always full of people, toilets dirty and queues long. There is just no space to find some peace and quiet unlike in DOH.

The other thing that I like is QR! They are excellent - a true 5 star airline. I was excited to travel EK A380 for raya (cheapest ticket) but now I am not so sure!

Edited by Izanee

Doha airport such a stressful airport for me.. will not fly with QR unless the new airport start in service. Until then will fly with either EK or MH :D

Hate the fact that they bring you to a holding room with 2 rows of chairs,

With little or no ventilation, and they make you wait there for a considerable amount of time [ wifi signal is dead there ].

Not only that, then when they open the doors to enter the bus all hell breaks loose.

The carbon monoxide from the busses, the heat, the lack of a system for boarding. After having a long flight from North America and transitting there, it really stresses me out

If one is travelling in Y, EK and its DXB hub is so much better than the mess of DOH. Even AUH is better than DOH, but not by much if you're talking about the older terminal of AUH.

But if one is travelling in J or F, QR's private terminal at DOH is a serene blissful place and DXB is seen to be crowded and a mess.

New Doha International Airport (NDIA) is unlikely to receive its first passengers until the second half of 2013, according to an interview given to the Moodie Report.

NDIA was previously targeting a new year launch for passenger operations, meaning the considerably later date will switch the focus back to the exisiting airport as it strives to keep up with Qatar Airways' ongoing expansion. The report attributes the delay to the parting of a key contractor.

Qatar Airways' CEO Akbar Al Baker claims some NDIA facilities will still open around the end of this year, including cargo, the VIP Terminal and the airline's maintenance base. Qatar aims to hold the official opening on the auspicious date of 12/12/12 (click here).

Speaking at the Arabian Travel Market in May, Al Baker said the budget for the airport had increased by $1 billion to $15.6 billion on account of an additional extension to handle "the ever greater increase in passenger numbers".

http://www.businesstraveller.com/middle-east/news/ndia-to-receive-passengers-late-2013

What else is new??

Hamad International airport – until recently known as New Doha International airport – will finally open in April this year.

The US$15.5 billion facility has been dogged by a series of delays, and missed its most recent opening date of 12/12/12.

But a statement from Qatar Airways confirmed that on April 1 the Gulf airline and eleven other carriers will become the first passenger airlines to fly from the airport.

There will be a phased opening, meaning Doha will have a dual airport operation until full operations begin in the second half of this year, when Qatar Airways will move its entire operations over to Hamad International.

It’s not yet clear which airlines will move flights to the new airport on April 1, but a statement confirmed that the first phase would involve “12 international passenger airlines becoming the launch carriers of the new facility from 1 April. These include low-cost airlines”.

The airport will accommodate 28 million passengers when it fully opens this year, increasing to 50 million beyond 2015.

Commenting on the news Qatar Airways’ CEO Akbar al Baker said that as the operator of the new Hamad International Airport and main user of the facility, the carrier “looks forward to welcoming airlines and passengers to the airport in just a few weeks’ time opening up a new era for our country”.

“This will be a world class facility that promises to propel our nation further on the international stage. Of course the story doesn’t end here.

“Later this year, Qatar Airways will move its entire operations to Hamad International Airport, as all airport lounges are expected to be ready and fully operational by then ensuring that all our passengers have a truly world class experience that they fully deserve.”

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/dohaa-s-hamad-international-airport-to-open-in-

Dang, missing it by 2 months! Doing KUL/DOH/IST with QR next month.

Hamad International airport – until recently known as New Doha International airport – will finally open in April this year.

The US$15.5 billion facility has been dogged by a series of delays, and missed its most recent opening date of 12/12/12.

http://dohanews.co/post/41191423875/10-things-to-know-about-qatars-upcoming-hamad#at_pco=cfd-1.0

Qatar’s Civil Aviation Authority confirms that the New Doha International Airport, now renamed Hamad International Airport, will begin some commercial flights this April.

They have also shared a presentation with Doha News containing some basic facts about the airport’s current status and future plans.

Here are 10 of the most interesting bits we pulled out of the document. The full report is available at the bottom of this post.

1. Qatar Civil Aviation Authority landed its first plane there on Nov. 29, 2012.

Considering all the past delays, there is an understandable amount of skepticism that the airport will be ready in April. But perhaps the fact that it’s complete enough to have already landed some planes could help allay some of that doubt.

tumblr_inline_mh0zgwtk4d1qge4jz.png

2. Hamad International Airport will stretch across 29 square kilometers. This will include the multi-concourse Terminal 1 due to open this year, but also the Emiri terminal, second passenger terminal, vehicle rental and car facilities, cargo, maintenance hanger and catering facilities.

tumblr_inline_mh0zir4ipT1qge4jz.png

3. There are 41 contact gates in the main passenger terminal. Those gates have some 88 Passenger Loading Bridges. That means no more long bus rides to and from the planes - passengers can just walk down the bridge onto the plane, like at many other airports in the world. Also, the terminal itself should be able to handle 28 million people a year.

tumblr_inline_mh0zpsnSHh1qge4jz.png

4. Terminal 1 will have 150 passenger check-in stations. That includes 14 check-in booths for First Class and 16 check-in desks for Business Class. Ideally that also means no waiting in long lines, although that remains to be seen.

No details yet on retail offerings, but once completed, there will be no shortages of lounges in the new airport.

tumblr_inline_mh0zql8A9l1qge4jz.png

5. It will host a new Emiri terminal. The exclusive 12,000 square meter terminal will have a separate aircraft apron, bespoke interiors and a ceremonial space for receiving state guests.

tumblr_inline_mh0zzbi4qb1qge4jz.png

6. The new Aircraft Maintenance Hanger can hold up to 13 aircraft simultaneously. It boasts the widest free-span opening in the world, and is Airbus A380 ready.

tumblr_inline_mh1042ixW91qge4jz.png

7. The Cargo Terminal will have a 1.4 million tons annual capacity. An automated container storage system will help achieve that goal.

tumblr_inline_mh106k2RIg1qge4jz.png

8. On-site catering facilities will produce 90,000 meals daily. Operations will be “state of the art” and prepared food can be directly loaded onto aircraft before take-off.

tumblr_inline_mh10rq85oW1qge4jz.png

9. The next phase of the airport will handle 50 million passengers a year. Dubbed Phase 3A, and due to be completed by 2017, it will see involve an expansion of Terminal 1 and the addition of a training center, rail station, car rental facilities, a “sea rescue” harbor and a multi-story parking structure.

tumblr_inline_mh10r9g7RP1qge4jz.png

10. Everything should be done by 2020. That’s the estimated completion date for Phase 3B, which includes a new visa building, law enforcement offices, an “aviation campus” and the smaller Terminal 2 with a separate rail and bus station.

tumblr_inline_mh10s4dsWz1qge4jz.png

Here’s the full presentation sent to us by the Civil Aviation Authority:

Read more: http://dohanews.co/post/41191423875/10-things-to-know-about-qatars-upcoming-hamad#at_pco=cfd-1.0#ixzz2Ir7szNGZ

Sign in to follow this