MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sing Yew

ADL's New Terminal's First Commercial Flight

As I have mentioned before that ADL's new Multi User Integrated Terminal (MUIT) will be receiving its' first commercial flight today at 0610 local time.

Here's an article about it from The Advertiser (ADL's local newspaper, that's if you think of it as a newspaper.) Apparently the flight will be welcomed by water cannons.

Perhaps MH will send in MRD for publicity's sake ? I'm sure it'll make it into the local TV news and may even make it to the Headlines.

We're up and away

By Travel Editor JESSICA HURT

15oct05

TOUCHDOWN - the first passenger airline to land at Adelaide's new $260 million airport terminal is expected to arrive from Malaysia this morning.

Today marks the first day the new passenger terminal becomes operational for international flights.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH139, a Boeing 777, is scheduled to arrive in Adelaide from Malaysia at 6.10am and will be welcomed with water cannons.

Singapore Airlines is scheduled to be the first airline to leave from the new terminal when flight SQ230 leaves for Singapore at 1.05pm.

The pilot of the historic first flight to land, Malaysia Airlines captain Fouzi Heshim, said it was a "great honour and a special occasion".

"It is about time Adelaide has a good one (terminal)," he said, adding that he felt very "proud to be providing this service".

"Personally, I feel very excited about it and being the first crew to step in to the airport," he said.

Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith was on the first flight into the new terminal. She said, after seeing the new facilities, it was quite a shock leaving from the old terminal. "There is a stark change (from the old terminal)," she said. "I realised what we have missed."

Dr Lomax-Smith said the new terminal was "something we have always dreamed of". She was looking forward to experiencing the state-of-the-art facilities, including the aerobridges and new luggage collection and Customs areas.

Singapore Airlines flight SQ229 from Singapore is expected to be the second international flight arriving at the new terminal about 7am.

Singapore Airlines manager of SA and NT, Matt Raos, said the first flight "really is the test of the airport". More than 320 passengers are booked on today's flight to Singapore and they will each receive a small gift as a memento.

The first domestic flights to and from the terminal are scheduled to start from Tuesday, October 25.

www.theadvertiser.com.au

MRD for ADL for this historic occasion would be great..proud to be a Malaysian once again......but having MH landing earlier than the SQ and yet SQ taking off b4 MH....does this mean SQ has a shorter turnaround time??

I can now confirm that MRD is about to land at ADL now, just flew past my room.

And yes, SQ does has a shorter turnaround time as compared to SQ by about 2 hrs on average.

Don't forget to take some shots for us please!!!

10331[/snapback]

Excellent picture in another Topic: "well done MH": they sent MRD biggrin.gif

MH really did a great thing..doesnt MRD juz look stunningly beautiful being showered by those water cannons..

10456[/snapback]

Yes she does. She was one of the headlines in the local TV news, the first revenue flight to arrive at the new terminal.

The Premier of SA personally greeted all arriving passengers.

a boost of publicity for them..expect MH flights to be even heavier on pax load now..lol..

10459[/snapback]

If that really happens, I'll even have a harder time booking my flights. Already as it is I need to book my flights super early because we just have 4x weekly flights into ADL.

Sign in to follow this