MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Scary things during flights

- landing in WLG: very 'thrilling' 90% of the time...

- on a BA 747 LHR-HKG, I think we dropped quite a good few feet towards the end of the flight. Thankfully everyone was already strapped in by then, including FAs so no one was hurt.

Nothing too scary other than that other than a few bumpy landings. Oh and turbulence is always annoying of course - gotta hold on to your champagne or wine glasses tight or have it all spilled on to your clothes.

Edited by Keith T

Mine was a go-around in LBU, due to very strong crosswind, on Fokker 50! Quite scary I must say, that was my first time and hopefully last time.

Sorry to bring up an old topic:

My scariest was during my first (and so far only) flight - KUA - KUL (SZB) in 1994. As the B734 touched down the plane tilted to starboard the wing almost touched the runway, and it slowly levelled off.

There's quite a few stories on this on BBC, my favourite being this:

I have to say that the first time I ever flew (with an Eastern European airline) was the worst. Extreme turbulence unnerved most of us for starters. A broken armrest, a seatbelt that refused to undo once it was fastened, and frost on the inside of the emergency exit were bad enough. However, these were all spectacularly overshadowed by the co-pilot walking down the aisle mid flight clutching a screwdriver.

Scary things during flight? Onboard MH 4 years ago from KUL to LAX. Stewardess served me real knife along with my stik. Back then I'm only 14 :p

Interesting thread!

Hmm.. I read that there is no such thing as "air-pocket".. maybe someone can clarify? How does one define an 'air-pocket'?

Anyway, found the below, not mine... but goes nicely with this thread ^_^

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

- Captain Eric Moody

Captain Moody made this announcement after his British Airways 747 flew through the volcanic ash shot into the sky by the 1982 eruption of Mt Galunggung in Indonesia. The 747 lost power in all four engines but glided long enough to exit the ash cloud and get three engines working again. The airplane's windshield was so sandblasted by ash that the landing had to be made almost entirely by instruments, and the airplane had to be towed to the gate because pilots couldn't see enough to taxi around the airport.

Happened 24th June 1982, the route was flown by City of Edinburgh, a 747-236B registered G-BDXH. Around 19 days later SQ's 747 had the same problem, only this time it's just 3 engines instead of 4.

Edited by Irni Mastura

Hehehe ... what about this one, related to this THREAD?

Anyway that cabin is of a TG A330, that does not have "4" engines, like what the article said. Got to love all these press anomalies.

Anyway, mine is of a CAL 747-200 in mid 1985. Hit an air pocket halfway through a SIN-HKG flight and the drop caused passengers, cabin items, cabin crew all flying towards the ceiling. That is why I always kept my seatbelt on as I was prevented from flying about unlike my poor brother who was stuck for that few terrifying seconds "up there" seemingly defying gravity.

It was all over in a blink of an eye but (I was seated at the door) a FA landed wrongly in front of me and twisted / broke her ankle (semua pakai high heels kan?), the cabin was in a mess, and there were people crying. No one got up to help the stewardess crying in front of me as we all sat there shocked and numbed... Slowly the cabin came back to life and she was helped by her colleagues into the aft galley.

Till this day, I have never forgotten the sight of a puddle of orange juice swirling on the ceiling.

My scary moments include:

a) Uzbekistan Airways A310 Rough Landing in Tashkent... the plane was at a certain angle when the tires touched the ground. people were actually shouting...

B) MH B737-400 KUL-TGG...could not land in TGG due to a very heavy rain, nothing scary for me but when people in my row started to pray very hard and the makcik next to me holding my hand, i became a bit scared. The plane eventually went back tu KUL.

c) EK AB6 from Dhaka, Bangladesh to KUL - The plane has to return back to Dhaka due to some problem with one of the engine. The pilot announcement was calm but the cabin was dead silence till the plane touched down when everyone clapped. The scary part is being stucked in Dhaka for many hours!

Scary things during flight? Onboard MH 4 years ago from KUL to LAX. Stewardess served me real knife along with my stik. Back then I'm only 14

I think it should be MH 94? MH 4 is KUL-LHR. Or you were on MH 4 KUL-LHR before continuing on another airline from LHR-LAX?

no vacant lav after having 10 cups of orange juice, and plane is about to landing.

curious to know whether we got snekbox or hotmeals.

wondering if subway hotdog still available and u are seating 2nd row from behind.

is it consider scary things?

In contrast with most of the dropping experience. I have had one or two ocassion whereby the aircraft was elevated by the air pockets.

During Nov 2006 when flying between KUL-AKL on 9M-MPQ somewhere around Singapore, our aircraft was elevated by the air pocket and feels a lot better than a drop actually :D.

I think it should be MH 94? MH 4 is KUL-LHR. Or you were on MH 4 KUL-LHR before continuing on another airline from LHR-LAX?

I meant to say MH 94 four years ago :pardon: Apology for the mis comm. :sorry: Adding to that, they still serve the metal knife last year as well.

Sign in to follow this