MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Space Shuttle Discovery STS-120

Discovery landed a few minutes ago. What's that thing at the tail? Sorta speed-brake?

08112007001lk7.jpg

Welcome home Astronauts.

Yes, those are the speed break.

I always wonder, are the speed breaks on the vertical stab with tire breaks alone sufficient enough to stop the landing shuttle? Does space shuttle have some sorts of reverse thrusts or spoilers on the wings like those on airplanes?

I always wonder, are the speed breaks on the vertical stab with tire breaks alone sufficient enough to stop the landing shuttle? Does space shuttle have some sorts of reverse thrusts or spoilers on the wings like those on airplanes?

There's a parachute. But it still can land without one.

_41898756_parachute416ap.jpg

Edited by TW Teo

Did you know that prior landing, the orbiter's (that aircraft-like thing) decent rate is 20 times higher and 7 times steeper than compared to normal commercial airliner... and if i'm notmistaken, final approach speed is 500mph. swooosh...!

imagine how those main landing gears handling the pressures

Does space shuttle have some sorts of reverse thrusts .....

Can't have reverse thrust when you don't even have forward thrust.

yup..its a rudder cum speed brake.. this is how it works:

Rudder mode:

Thanks, cute graphics. :good:

During a landing, a shuttle is a dead stick.

No forward thrust or reverse thrust. All they have is the RCS thruster located at the nose and the OMS pod at the tail and those are for maneuvering.

Landing is actually harder then launch. The crew only have one chance to do it right. It's either they land it perfectly, or else not at all. They can't abort landing and do a go around.

Azuddin

During a landing, a shuttle is a dead stick.

No forward thrust or reverse thrust. All they have is the RCS thruster located at the nose and the OMS pod at the tail and those are for maneuvering.

Landing is actually harder then launch. The crew only have one chance to do it right. It's either they land it perfectly, or else not at all. They can't abort landing and do a go around.

Azuddin

If they have rudder and speedbrakes, I'm sure they use elevons for the gliding maneuver. RCS thruster for the rotational and linear thrust in space ??

If they have rudder and speedbrakes, I'm sure they use elevons for the gliding maneuver. RCS thruster for the rotational and linear thrust in space ??

True, but the RCS is still be use during landing in certain situation, like course correction or altitude correction.

Most shuttle mission uses the RCS during landing. This can be notice by a couple of loud bang sound while the shuttle is gliding for approaching

True, but the RCS is still be use during landing in certain situation, like course correction or altitude correction.

Most shuttle mission uses the RCS during landing. This can be notice by a couple of loud bang sound while the shuttle is gliding for approaching

No wonder the bang sound...hehe...Thanks!

Shuttle Atlantis (OV-104) has been rolled out to the launchpad.

Schedule to launch early December.

Azuddin

They go after our Dr. SMS return home right ??? they installed Harmony module on ISS....if they were there as same as DR. SMS, that would be very great for him..and i wonder, does Dr. SMS had been trained for a space walk??

Sign in to follow this