MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robin

MD says new transformation plan for MAS will be unveiled next year

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) aims to shift gear next year to become more nimble to deal with competition going forward.

Managing director Datuk Seri Idris Jala said MAS would introduce a new business transformation plan early next year that would provide a pathway for it to transform itself in the next five years.

¡°We were talking a lot about business turnaround plan before. Now we plan to transform from what we are today into a five-star airline at low-cost carrier cost,¡± he told reporters after welcoming the first Firefly flight at Terminal 3 Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport from Penang yesterday.

Idris, who is also chairman of Firefly, said MAS would make sure its services were superior and attractive and, at the same time, lower the cost.

¡°We will not behave like a low-cost carrier. We will always provide superior products and services to customers but we will drive down our costs so that we will then be able to offer highly-competitive rates to passengers,¡± he said.

Firefly, operated by FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd, is a wholly owned subsidiary of MAS. It started operations from its home base in Penang in April.

On another note, Idris said MAS was still in talks on the purchase of six Airbus A380 aircraft.

MAS, he said, was waiting for progress to be made in the talks.

¡°We are still in discussions,¡± Idris said when asked about the impact of the Airbus A380, the world's largest aircraft, which made its first commercial flight from Singapore to Sydney on Oct 25.

¡°We expect a lot more competition and I don't think the competition will end with the A380. We are continuously innovating, looking for ways with new routes and aircraft in the competitive arena,¡± he told reporters here yesterday.

In July last year, Idris said Airbus Industrie would have to pay compensation for the delay in delivering the A380. He hoped the issue would be settled by year's end. ¨C Bernama

¡°We will not behave like a low-cost carrier. We will always provide superior products and services to customers but we will drive down our costs so that we will then be able to offer highly-competitive rates to passengers,¡± he said.

:rofl: Oh my God...... I just can't stop laughing when I read that line! What a lot of bulls#@t! So a cheap food in a fancy lunch box served in an old plane is "superior product"!

They will probably only begin to feel the pinch when Skytrax drop one or two of their stars.

Will happen. Just hope it will happen soon enough so that those in the higher management can wake up.

MH's upper management is just like when a kid has done wrong, they still want to argue they are right by saying rubbish... And true as Alan, the sentence really caught my eye... I was not laughing but sick of it... Hehe....

Idris, who is also chairman of Firefly, said MAS would make sure its services were superior and attractive and, at the same time, lower the cost.

For the case of MASwings, please make their product attractive either! They charge me double the fare compared to previous operations. And increase the fare like hell... Come on lar...SV, MH do not listen to their customers (obviously one of those help them sustain their business) by giving 'excellent' excuses, do you think they'll listen to their employee (another portion that will help sustain their business)? I don't think so!

Edited by Chan CS

For the case of MASwings, please make their product attractive either! They charge me double the fare compared to previous operations. And increase the fare like hell... Come on lar...SV, MH do not listen to their customers (obviously one of those help them sustain their business) by giving 'excellent' excuses, do you think they'll listen to their employee (another portion that will help sustain their business)? I don't think so!

Not if they gathred enough support at the union and then stage a work strike against their decision, but the reality is in Asia, work strike is pretty rare..... as either you carry on working or get replaced.

Edited by S V Choong

i'm so sick to heard about this "five star airline at LCC cost" over and over again...

If MH should loose its coveted 5-star B.S., it will continue harping on its other 'shiok sendiri' awards dating back several years ago!

What is so superior with snack box with contents worth less than RM10?!

Personally I feel MAS as a brand name is totally ruined by the current management. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Sign in to follow this