MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robin

Service fee sends rural fares up

MIRI: Rural flight fares have skyrocketed with ticketing agents imposing a compulsory service fee of RM40 for a return trip to all rural sectors in Sabah and Sarawak.

Because of this, the total fare of an air-trip in rural Sarawak has shot up by as much as 50%, putting rural folk in a quandary.

There are about a million people living in rural regions in Sarawak, most of whom depend on flights for quick travel.

A Star check revealed that MASWings, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, had not increased its fares.

It was the ticketing agents who imposed the compulsory service charge for all sectors, regardless of urban or rural.

Previously, the one-way charge of RM20 was imposed only for passengers plying urban routes.

In rural Sabah and Sarawak, MAS and MASWings do not have branches in interior areas and are represented by tour and ticketing agents.

Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) chief executive officer Gracie Geikie, when contacted, confirmed that the Malaysian Association of Travel and Tour Agents (Matta) had imposed mandatory extra charges.

¡°Previously, these charges were only imposed on passengers plying urban routes such as Kuching, Miri and Sibu.

¡°Many rural folk travel by air as it is the only means of transportation for them to get out to towns and cities for food supply, health checks, schooling and to sell their products. These extra charges are a setback to them,¡± she said, appealing to Matta to revoke the charge for the rural sector.

Ba¡¯Kelalan assemblyman Nelson Balang Rining said the Miri-Ba¡¯Kelalan flight fare was now priced at RM114 one-way compared to only RM46 two years ago.

Matta president Ngiam Foon, when contacted in Kuala Lumpur, said he would discuss the issue with the Sarawak Matta chapter.

Who says MASwings itself they did not increase their fare? OH MY....................... :wacko: :wacko:

Btw, when I've gone through the article, laughing is the only thing in my mind! The reason being my recent treatment from a MH's staff!!! She told me "Saya nak makan sekarang! Kalau ada mase kau tungu sajelah! Saya mau makan!. Kalau tidek boleh tunggu pigi Airpot lagi cepat!" (I'm going to eat now, you'll wait if you've time, or else go to airport, faster there.) COME ON!!! This is the way MH train their stafff!!!???? I was like!!! MY GOD!!!!

I waited for an hour, only 10 numbers were called!! There were so many expatriate there waiting for 30 numbers and above!!!!! I don't know how long they will have to wait!!! This is how the way MH potray themselves in front of so many people!?

This could be the reason why people simply do not want to go to MAS office, the wait is simply unreasonable with their unreasonable staff!!! I must say there were 5 counters with only maximun 2 occupied. I hardly see third staff in the office? So can I ask are there any rumours that they've reduced their staff in ticketing office as well?

Okay, I'll stop my rant before I go crazy!

MASwings 'may' not have raised their fares, but now imposes additional fees, hence marking up prices. Also recently I read that MAS will stop paying commissions to travel agents and travel agencies are going to be a fee-based business to make up for the loss. Perhaps this fee is what upsetting people now.

I still feel FAX offered far greater value-for-money fares compared to MASwings, or MAS itself when it operated the F50s and Twin Otters.

This could be the reason why people simply do not want to go to MAS office, the wait is simply unreasonable with their unreasonable staff!!!

But hey, salvation is at hand - if the trend to shut down and do without such offices is maintained. This way, we won't have opportunity to be treated so shamelessly even if we are willing to pay for it.

BTW, 1+hour waits at former MH ticket office at Karamunsing (BKI) wasn't too uncommon.

Let's face it, Datuk IJ and his team are doing us major, major favour here !

I still feel FAX offered far greater value-for-money fares compared to MASwings,.....

........as long as the flight is not cancelled :pardon:

........as long as the flight is not cancelled :pardon:

Lucky me, both sectors I flew as scheduled :p They should, as I flew all the way from KUL to try out F50 and DHC-6 in their colours, and of course some parting souvenirs by way of safety cards :)

They should, as I flew all the way from KUL to try out F50 and DHC-6 in their colours, and of course some parting souvenirs by way of safety cards :)

They didn't, and I flew all the way from AMS :angry: :angry:

Luckily, I was able to make-up for this cancellation when flying MYY-KCH, although with a hefty delay (LeeTZ can confirm)...

Sign in to follow this