MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MalaysianWings Gathering at Surfers' Paradise, Gold Coast, Nov 2007

I'm a new member living at Tweed Heads near Coolangatta just 2km from the airport. I'm also a volunteer in the Tweed Heads Visitors Centre so can help you with maps etc etc when you get here. Car hire opposite the airport can be as cheap as $25-$30 per day. Surfing and bikini-spotting can be done within walking distance of the airport.

If you can let me know when you will be in Brisbane I'll let them know. I just spoke to one of their guys, Lloyd, and he says they can arrange to show you round.

Im flying OO-KUL-OOL 04-06NOV

I look forward to seeing you........Terry

don forgot to bring some MWSpotters sticker over there. :lol:

Still waiting since last June for my promised one :p :blink:

Any idea how many are coming to OOL on the inaugural (and lter flights) as we here at OOL/BNE would like to meet you and help you as we can. The BNE boys will be down for the inaugural so I think we'll have a number of bodies and vehicles to assist.

How long are you staying???

Based on Reply #25, I guess the list hasn't changed much.

Confirmed - Long Stay:

1. honkit7

2. V Wong

3. Myself

Confirmed - Short Stay (on transit):

1. Liam Gibb

2. Liam Gibb's brother

3. Airpearl (from A.Net)

Out of them, only honkit7, Airpearl and myself will be on the inaugural flight to OOL. Please check your PM, Terry.

I'll be in Gold Coast 9-11 Nov, in Brisbane 12 and 13 Nov, followed by self-drive holiday then back to GC on 18th.

Hon Kit,

I will be on the inaugural flight, D72702 KUL-OOL Fri 2 Nov 2140 hours and will return on D72703 OOL-KUL Sun 11 Nov 1835 hours. I will be sitting at seat 43D on both flights.

Airpearl of A.Net (Mr. Kwan) will be on the same (outbound) flight. He will be sitting at seat 31B.

Not long to go now - enjoy Surfers'!

I expect lots of pictures from the gathering. :D

Would've joined in if I hadn't had exams this week. :sorry:

Edited by Keith T

I just have a few concerns and I would love, if its not much of a trouble, for the early flyers of XFA to share stories while on the plane. You know the usual service, meals, etc... What I am more concern though is the configuration and layout of the plane. I will be flying with XFA in a couple of months from now, since I can still change my seat, I want to get the best seats, if possible.

As we all know, the XL class is configured with 2-2-2. Unfortunately I am not taking that class :sorry: . Im in the usual economy seat, and most of the seats are configured 2-4-2 and some with 2-3-2.

At the moment, my seat are close to the exit door, so that I can go out quickly after landing. However, the disadvantage is, there are no overhead compartments for the middle seats. Those who sit in the middle, they have to put their hand luggage on the side overhead compartment. Will this be a great issue on board? Will they be very strict in the ground about how many bags you can bring onboard?

AKX_15.jpg

Another great seat I found is at the back of the plane where the configuration is 2-3-2. My question is, would that make a difference in seating with 2-3-2 vs 2-4-2 even though u sit at the window seat?

AKX_18.jpg

Notice that for the 2-3-2 configuration there are middle overhead compartments.

I found sitting here (red box) is better, at least you may get a better leg room, is my assumption correct?

seatli0.jpg

Sorry, it may sound trivial to some people, but I just want to get some answers to these. At least, I know what to expect when I actually fly with XFA. Thank you.

Photos courtesy of Norman taken from http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....showtopic=6628.

Norman, I hope you don't mind.

Anyway, those who are flying tonight, have a safe journey. Azizul, you will fly tonight, right? I hope you have an enjoyable trip to Gold Coast. :D

Thank you

Azri

Edited by Azri M.

I just returned from OOL and safely arrived in Indonesia on 12 November 2007. The gathering (which I want to initiate)... was not quite a MalaysianWings gathering because only myself and Terry Magee participated. We had a sightseeing tour from OOL to Tweed Heads, in New South Wales.

Despite that, I had a blasting time with him and Airpearl of A.Net while onboard the inaugural flight D7 2702. I also managed to spend some wonderful hours at BNE with another fellow A.Netter, BPS3458.

Liew Hon Kit and V Wong were somewhere around Gold Coast and Brisbane but they couldn't make the planned gathering at the last minutes.

I just have a few concerns and I would love, if its not much of a trouble, for the early flyers of XFA to share stories while on the plane. You know the usual service, meals, etc... What I am more concern though is the configuration and layout of the plane. I will be flying with XFA in a couple of months from now, since I can still change my seat, I want to get the best seats, if possible.

To Azri, the services onboard my AirAsia X's flights were wonderful. On the outbound trip, considering it was an inaugural flight, I guess the cream of the cream of an all female AirAsia's cabin staff were assigned on that flight, lead by LS Laila. The team worked very hard but struggled a bit, which was exhibited by the serving of dinner at 00:30 (Malaysian time), around 3 hours after departure. On the inbound trip, the male majority cabin staff, although seemed a bit laid back, managed to deliver their task satisfactorily. The seat pitch is reasonable for an average 5' 8/9" Asian like me.

At the moment, my seat are close to the exit door, so that I can go out quickly after landing. However, the disadvantage is, there are no overhead compartments for the middle seats. Those who sit in the middle, they have to put their hand luggage on the side overhead compartment. Will this be a great issue on board? Will they be very strict in the ground about how many bags you can bring onboard?

There are center overhead compartments throughout the entire Economy class cabin. Although the photo on the preview event showed otherwise, I think the management has managed to fit it in before the inaugural flight. The center overhead compartment is only not available in the XL class. Only one cabin luggage is allowed for each passenger and it must be within the prescribed regulations (size wise, LAGs free etc). The cabin luggage requirements are stricter in OOL as compared to KUL LCCT. Seat 31 A/B/H/K have wonderful legroom but they come with a price tag of MYR 100 on each sector.

Another great seat I found is at the back of the plane where the configuration is 2-3-2. My question is, would that make a difference in seating with 2-3-2 vs 2-4-2 even though u sit at the window seat? Notice that for the 2-3-2 configuration there are middle overhead compartments. I found sitting here is better, at least you may get a better leg room, is my assumption correct?

I think there is no difference between the window seats of a row of 2-4-2 abreast with a row of 2-3-2 abreast. The only difference is for those who sit at seat 43D and 43G, where they will have extra legrooms at the (slightly) side of their seat. But the pitch will be the same as any other rows (31"). Being seated at seat 43G on the outbound trip and 44K on the inbound trip, I would say the window seat is better.

I hope you had a great time flying AirAsia X. I have only praises for them. Mind you, I never flew with AirAsia group before the trip.

Thank you for the respond. :D Good that you enjoyed your first ever airasia flight. I am so excited after getting your respond and also from AirPearl from A.net. However, I'm just wondering, u mentioned:

There are center overhead compartments throughout the entire Economy class cabin. Although the photo on the preview event showed otherwise, I think the management has managed to fit it in before the inaugural flight. The center overhead compartment is only not available in the XL class.

But from the AirPearl uploaded photos on the net. It seemed to me the first economy compartment does not have the central overhead compartment. Im sure it wont be a problem as it can fit everyone's luggage when the load is 90% like in your flight, right?

d7011.jpg

From http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_...ad.main/112682/ By Airpearl. No central overhead compartment.

Anyway, my worries are all gone now. I think I will enjoy the flight. cant wait to go back to Malaysia. Yay. :D

ps: just wondering how to entertain myself since there is no IFE. :p

There is a central overhead compartment - the lights that you see there would have been much higher! Those lights are located at the base of the compartment.

MH has one of the early 333 leased-in which has no central o/head compartment in the biz section only - 9M-MKR. The overhead space available because of the compartment absence is quite significant.

But from the AirPearl uploaded photos on the net. It seemed to me the first economy compartment does not have the central overhead compartment. Im sure it wont be a problem as it can fit everyone's luggage when the load is 90% like in your flight, right?

As I mentioned earlier, there are center overhead compartments throughout the entire Economy class cabin. I was onboard that aircraft on 2 sectors. Maybe some photographs from another angle will let you see them.

XL Class - No Center Overhead Compartment

DSC03378.jpg

First Section of the Economy Class - With Center Overhead Compartments

DSC03379.jpg

Second Section of the Economy Class - With Center Overhead Compartments

DSC03381.jpg

Just wondering how to entertain myself since there is no IFE.

Aha, many that come across:

• Bring along your best friend
  • Bring along your favourite books
  • Bring along your Ipod
  • Bring along your notebook computer and some DVDs
  • Study or finish your college assignments (perhaps?)
... amongst other.

As I mentioned earlier, there are center overhead compartments throughout the entire Economy class cabin. I was onboard that aircraft on 2 sectors. Maybe some photographs from another angle will let you see them.

Damn, that pix of Airpearl was taken in an angle below the central overhead compartment. Silly me.

Must apologize for being able to join Terry and Azizul in GC - with 10 other family members in tow, it was difficult to plan for anything individual...

Sign in to follow this