MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Michael Chai

Question on courses

May i know is there any place to study aeronautical engineering? Bcaus i oledi give up in flying around and try to aim for this job.

And i am a SPM student. So if possible, it is very grateful to have a response.

And i have all of you can be my guidance to study this course.

Thx

P/S:Try to find a moderate fee for the course.

May i know is there any place to study aeronautical engineering? Bcaus i oledi give up in flying around and try to aim for this job.

Thx

if you wanna go for aeronautics then check out at UPM or UTM.. if you want to do aircraft maintenance the try out Miat or any airlines like Mas or Airasia for apprentice engineering trainee

Thx

Air Asia offers the Engineering Trainee program few months ago which is May 2007. So,keep an eye on The Star's Jobs page or air Asia website so you can knows when they have the new intake. All the best ,Michyiki :)

But if I am going for the route on this:

Study in australia for 5 years.

After giving SPM forecast result, i will go to RMIT University for foundation and aerospace engineering in Australia.

After 5 years, i decide to come back to Malaysia to work for either MAS or Airasia or SIA.

Is it possible to go for this route or anyone can suggest on?

michyiki....ive got a friend who did the aerospace engineer courses @ rmit ... if im not mistaken...he's now working with Boeing Australia... :)

Basically if you are looking to service airlines (fixing planes i assume) i think you should be looking into aircraft maintenance courses.

Aerospace i think more into the aerodynamics, flight design is it? I'd have Idham to confirm that as its his forte

Aerospace/Aeronautical engineering degree: USM UPM UTM maybe more....

- Gives you theorethical aeronautical engineering knowledge

- Aerospace jobs opportunity - Design, R&D, Manufacturing, Airlines Tech Services

- NON Aerospace jobs opportunity - Throughout mechanical engineering market. Oil n Gas, HVAC, etc etc

- 4 years

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (License, LAME) - Airasia, MAS, MIAT?, Overseas courses

- Gives you detailed aircraft maintenance skills

- Aerospace job opportunity - LAME with airlines

- Better starting 0-5 yrs exp pay comparatively with degree holders

- NON aerospace jobs opportunity - NONE (except if you open own business, i mean none that utilises the license)

- 3 years ++ including type rating

feel free to add to this guys, i know its nowhere near a complete summary. Michiyiki, I am working in the industry, having chosen the first option above. Do PM me if you have questions.

Aerospace/Aeronautical engineering degree: USM UPM UTM maybe more....

- Gives you theorethical aeronautical engineering knowledge

- Aerospace jobs opportunity - Design, R&D, Manufacturing, Airlines Tech Services

- NON Aerospace jobs opportunity - Throughout mechanical engineering market. Oil n Gas, HVAC, etc etc

- 4 years

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (License, LAME) - Airasia, MAS, MIAT?, Overseas courses

- Gives you detailed aircraft maintenance skills

- Aerospace job opportunity - LAME with airlines

- Better starting 0-5 yrs exp pay comparatively with degree holders

- NON aerospace jobs opportunity - NONE (except if you open own business, i mean none that utilises the license)

- 3 years ++ including type rating

feel free to add to this guys, i know its nowhere near a complete summary. Michiyiki, I am working in the industry, having chosen the first option above. Do PM me if you have questions.

Correct..... :good:

MIAT is not a certified training school (FAA/JAA or even under EASA part 66) and they graduate with a diploma. and getting a diploma in a LAE's career is useless as it's not even stated in either one part 66, faa or even jaa. but then, they still get to go for the license. how? i don't know. perhaps someone would like to shed some light on this matter?

Or you may consider taking Mechanical Engineering. IINM a job as a Technical Service Engineer requires Mech. Eng degree. Correct me if i'm wrong

MIAT is not a certified training school (FAA/JAA or even under EASA part 66) and they graduate with a diploma. and getting a diploma in a LAE's career is useless as it's not even stated in either one part 66, faa or even jaa. but then, they still get to go for the license. how? i don't know. perhaps someone would like to shed some light on this matter?

Diploma do give some points to LAME. Degree is even better.. But both are not required to become LAME.. maybe when you're a senior LAME..

Or you may consider taking Mechanical Engineering. IINM a job as a Technical Service Engineer requires Mech. Eng degree. Correct me if i'm wrong

Not necessary Mech Eng Degree.. Electrical/Electronics degree also can..

I decide to try on MAA, but there mentioned the requirements need to be in good eyesight.

Is it possible for me to get into it? Becaus i got short sighting.

Much deep la!

Miat is using faa books but their modules follows bcar section L..So Far i am proud to say that a few of my miat seniors who went for their license have got through in one sitting with DCA Malaysia.. I dont agree with you that you said a diploma for Lae is useless.. to me its better you have a diploma because this secures your future and if you ever loose your license for some reasons you still have an diploma to back you up rather then 0 qualification without anything and just spm.

For now Miat is working out for Jar 147 and they have changed all the modules according to EASA and improved the facilities .. beside that they have also purchased two diamond aircraft(live aircraft) and they are waiting for their new campus in subang which they scheduled to move in early 2009.

I know that there are so many rumors and gossip being spread about miat but remember most of it is add up by some uncivilized people.. because they dont even understand the basic requirements on obtaining their license.

There are some people who are talking about Miat being not approved because of FAA syllabus ... but i seriously tell they are dumb and would have never read the BCAR section L . As stated in section L .. you may use any books as your reference ..where it can be FAA. publisher or whatever as long you follow all the topics given in section L and also use the CAIP. For your information miat is following BCAR modules but the main reference books are jeppsen which is FAA published books.

If miat is considered a useless institute then why there are foreign students from middle east, India, Sri lanka, Mexico, Vietnam,Thailand and Dubai studying in miat?

I am not here to Defend miat just because i am studying here, but i just want to correct some people who are jumping into conclusion. :rolleyes:

Another thing unique about miat is it is a semi government institute recognized by the ministry of education Malaysia and under university teknikal Mara. :yahoo:

Edited by Andy

Aircraft Maintanance is oso one of the aerospace engineering, right?

So, if i have short sighting, can i work as a mas engineer?

The terms can mean a lot of things, im not sure what you mean by aircraft engineering, but assuming its aircraft maintenance engineering, then its different to aerospace/aeronautical engineering. refer to my earlier post for the differences.

you can be shortsighted, to become an engineer, in general. Although it depends on the severity of your short sightedness. only a few companies in the world i know that would have short-sighted limits to become and engineer. maybe MAS engineers on this thread can answer better...