MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M. Sofian H.

Confuse With Airport Tax Charge

I want to share my experience to u all...

This study case only who purchase the ticket to fly out from LCCT because the airport tax is different from other airport

when AK sell the free ticket, i seen the airport tax charge is change

for example: (KL - PEN)

If ticket price RM0.00 -> airport tax RM60

if ticket price RM9.00 -> airport tax RM45 (see picture below)

if ticket price RM 19.00 -> airport tax RM45 sometimes RM42(see picture below)

img46da7c1b0ed32.jpgimg46da7c5609f0c.jpg

img46da7e666e09a.jpg

why AK can manipulated the airport tax? who control this charge?

another example

last year my father get free ticket to Pnom Penh, it's still pay the tax RM135.00

3 month later I and with my cousin buy the ticket to Pnom Penh, the price is RM159.99 + taxRM105.00

u can see the different tax price?

i think government should take action on this case!!

Airport tax is set by Gov through MAB. Not AK.

From LCCTs at KUL & BKI, the tax is lower than departures from other airports, e.g. PEN or JHB.

ANd domestic tax is always lower than int'l.

In your example above, are you defintely sure that it is KUL-PEN (one sector) for both sample prices?

Also airport tax is just airport tax. Does not include fuel surcharge or admin fee, the latter is determined by AK alone.

Ya, both of example departure from LCCT, that way i say this study case only fly out from LCCT.

I print screen this price last time before..

You meant both are KUL-PEN? (not PEN-KUL)

And are they for the same period? (i.e. not one priced before the lowered tax for LCCT?)

ummmmm......i'm not too sure about the charges around...but i do remember one thing very clearly about what happened when my parents bought the tickets to langkawi last year..

the story goes in such a way...they bought the cheap ticket of rm9.99 one way to langkawi and each ticket was charged

with this thing written as "TAXES" which cost my parents to pay rm45 for each ticket.Unfortunately , my parents wasn't able to travel due to unforseen circumstances.However hopes of retrieving anything from what my parents paid was not successful till the transport minister himself order/announce that travellers who did not manage to travel will be reimburse

immediately on the airport taxes.When i gave a call to the AK ticketing centre i was told that for each ticket they will only reimburse RM6 from the RM45 we paid.I was like :angry: asking them why will i only be reimburse RM6 instead of RM45 and i was told that the remaining RM38 will not be reimburse as i'll have to pay for the administration fees,fuel surcharge and etc. -.-" so they can only reimburse RM 6 for each ticket that i paid. I was left fuming after knowing that they wrote it as TAXES over in the receipt that was printed as i wanted to bring this matter up to Consumer Tribunal and Claims.I was rather speechless and disappointed because i remember that AIRASIA has always claimed that they still do not impose any fuel surcharge on their air fares...-.-"....

sigh...this is what i went through...would just like to share it with you all on that...

my case,

BKI-KUL-BKI for 4 person @ RM49.99 each.

but the statement show we this.

PRICING

I FARE 199.96 MYR

I FARE 199.96 MYR

Airasia goinsure comprehensive 60.00 MYR

Taxes 536.00 MYR

Total Price 995.92 MYR

logic?

Airport tax = government

Fuel fines = airline

Not all airlines show a detailed breakdown of the 2, often lumping them together as "taxes."

But the next time you issue a ticket with a fuel finer, note the YQ or Q charges - they're usually the codes for fuel or some other bullshit "surcharge."

I don't know how Malaysian consumer protection legislation operates, but I think that you'd actually have a valid legal claim if you do decide to challenge the retention of the amount paid for fuel/airport tax despite canceling tickets because the airline only has to pay the airport authorities for pax that actually use the airport facilities, and neither are you consuming any fuel for not flying. In several jurisdictions, the fuel fines and taxes actually have to be refunded if you cancel a ticket or miss a flight, even if you've paid for a non-refundable fare.

Edited by Keith T

my case,

BKI-KUL-BKI for 4 person @ RM49.99 each.

but the statement show we this.

PRICING

I FARE 199.96 MYR

I FARE 199.96 MYR

Airasia goinsure comprehensive 60.00 MYR

Taxes 536.00 MYR

Total Price 995.92 MYR

logic?

First of all, Taxes for AirAsia are divided into Fuel surcharges, Administration Fees, and Airport Taxes. Basically, fuel surcharges and admin Fees are actually part of AirAsia's income. You can say it is sorta a scam to attract more customers, and it works. (So, always check the breakdown!). Only Airport Taxes are reclaimable as it is not part of AirAsia fees but by the airport. Thats why you can only claim RM6 if domestic or RM25 for international travelling from an LCCT. If it said otherwise, then it maybe a computer glitch and you can sue them or demand to be paid RM6 as they have no right to charge extra for Airport Tax (unless the government increase it la).

So as of now, if they advertise free tickets out of LCCT, the least we are paying is RM6+RM15+RM21 = RM41 to domestic routes and RM6+RM40+RM21= RM67 for flying from East to West Malaysia! So never be fooled when AirAsia claim that the tix are free. in fact they are not.

In response to Samuel, the Taxes are logical. RM 536 divided by 4 is RM134 per person return. The one way tax is RM67! So work out the same way.

Just one more quirk, now AirAsia makes it even easier to be tricked into buying the GoInsure. If people simply press next and next, they may missed the opportunity to click "No Thanks!" for the GoInsure. Now the "No Thanks" link are at the left frame next to the time of flying and the link is only available at the last minute in the same page of when you need to enter the credit card information. People may overlook this. I hate AirAsia for trying to play tricks like this. So beware, now you've been told.

The first time I purchased the GoInsure, the next day a lady representing the insurance company called me up and wanted to sell some other insurance products of theirs. I think this cross-selling and up-selling is a violation of customers' privacy as it shows AK provided or sold customers' contact details to a third party.

MH is also guily of this admin fee BS. Even if one pays full fare for economy domestic, or even business class domestic, cancelling the journey outright for refund will attract something like a RM100 cancellation fee.

Some airlines go on their knees to attract people to fly them, but when one can't make the journey, they 'steal' part of customers' money.

thanks for the details, Azri. at least now i know how do they calculate the Taxes. hehe...

btw, regarding the GoInsure, i receive a call of from the insurance company also. and is that important? normally will you subscript it when booking?

Edited by Samuel Chy

thanks for the details, Azri. at least now i know how do they calculate the Taxes. hehe...

btw, regarding the GoInsure, i receive a call of from the insurance company also. and is that important? normally will you subscript it when booking?

Read this for flight traveling in Malaysia (or out from Malaysia)...https://www.dds.aigtravel.com/dds/pdf/airas...roddesc-en.html

It is not normally included in the price tix. But lately, they make it automatically ticked whenever u click on next. So again, make some awareness of it. For me if I wouldnt worry about having it on board, but if you want some security, worth having it.

Yes, GoInsure purchase on the AK site is surely a slick trick any magician would be proud of.

Honestly I almost puked when I heard crap like this:

Kathleen Tan, Executive Vice President – Commercial, AirAsia Berhad, remarked “With AirAsia, everyday is a low fare affair so why wait? Our objective is simple – offer low fares to stimulate travel. We are confident that our sizzling offer of up to 99% discounts can encourage people to fly and open up new markets of first time flyers. With our low fares, there’s always a reason to fly and you can fly anytime you want.”

“How can one resist a holiday when the cost of a ticket is cheaper than a plate of nasi lemak? ... "

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/pressReleas...44daf0-4a091098

Price of nasi lemak, my foot.

Reminds me of the hey-days of Proton-EON. The then chief of marketing at EON boasted to me, the more we whacked them, the more they kept coming back to be whacked. Refering to the customers lah.

Hope AK won't treat us like that.

+++

Edited by Naim

Reminds me of the hey-days of Proton-EON. The then chief of marketing at EON boasted to me, the more we whacked them, the more they kept coming back to be whacked. Refering to the customers lah.

+++

OT, but reminded me how I gave EON Service HQ Shah Alam a 'tight slap in the face' when they did a shoddy job and refused to honour anti-rust warranty. A call to the Managing Director of EON instantly settled everything.

Be aware though as to what state of affair Proton is in now. Due in no small measure to the "whacked and more whacking" approach as revealed by Naim I suspect !

Hopefully this is not a path AK is following, but it's hard to ignore fact that consumers will be getting wiser and better informed (like it or not :) ) Competitors will also be keeping a close watch too, I'm sure

Sign in to follow this