MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andy

preflight check

hmm i am wondering how can i detect a bloked pitot static tube during a preflight check..?? is there any way?

hmm i am wondering how can i detect a bloked pitot static tube during a preflight check..?? is there any way?

man tough question.lol.from what i recalled,we just have to ensure that it is not covered/sealed during the preflight check.Whether the reading on the instrument is reliable or not we do a speed check during takeoff.If we find it unreliable we will perform a rejected takeoff procedure (in this case the airspeed will not be active/climb if it blocked).As for the altimeter(static),aerodrome QNH that is set on the altimeter should show its elevation field as per the chart and the manufacturer or company will lay out the max deviation allowed.Passing these limitations will require

the aircraft to checked.

correct me if i am wrong,just thinking from the logic point of view.

=)

man tough question.lol.from what i recalled,we just have to ensure that it is not covered/sealed during the preflight check.Whether the reading on the instrument is reliable or not we do a speed check during takeoff.If we find it unreliable we will perform a rejected takeoff procedure (in this case the airspeed will not be active/climb if it blocked).As for the altimeter(static),aerodrome QNH that is set on the altimeter should show its elevation field as per the chart and the manufacturer or company will lay out the max deviation allowed.Passing these limitations will require

the aircraft to checked.

correct me if i am wrong,just thinking from the logic point of view.

=)

hmm thank you wong.. i got the same answer from my instructor.. well blowing the pitot tube with ya mouth sounds logic too but i have never seen any pilots doing it before..he..he.. lol

Edited by Andy

hmm thank you wong.. i got the same answer from my instructor.. well blowing the pitot tube with ya mouth sounds logic too but i have never seen any pilots doing it before..he..he.. lol

You are welcome=).Which school are you in now?

You are welcome=).Which school are you in now?

well i am curentlly doing my private pilot licence ppl with subang flying club. FLYING IS REALLY FUN :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Edited by Andy

I thought you were in some engineering thingy with MAS ?

Gave up on that ah?

SFC ... interesting ...

nope i did not give up my engineering at all... well ppl that i am taking is part time and just for fun and to understand the aircraft operation in a better way .. but for carrer i am still into the maintenance side Gavin.

Edited by Andy

nope i did not give up my engineering at all... well ppl that i am taking is part time and just for fun and to understand the aircraft operation in a better way .. but for carrer i am still into the maintenance side Gavin.

Congrats, Andy, now we can shake hands :pardon: (same reason for me to become PPL-holder)...

Andy, I agree with FK Wong .. check the ASI on your take-off run and if it doesn't register then abort the take-off. Blowing into the pitot tube is not recommended coz if it's really blocked, then it will only make it worst. And furthermore, you won't know for sure coz the ASI will read zero if blocked ... and it will also read zero if you haven't blown hard enough. :blink:

Not that I'm an expert or anything .. just my dua sen worth :)

Happy flying and cheers! :drinks:

Edited by mingalababya

We pilots expect the engineers to blow it for us....... :rofl:

as I remember from glider flight school, our instructors were says "do not blow pitot tube and static ports while making visual preflight check" that rules also written on our checklist in visual inspection section. We asked the same question them becouse glider school located on a huge grass field and so many grasshopers were in there! so "how can we sure pitot tube blocked by a bug or not?" answer was simple " if airspeed indicator does not work while takeoff, you would know that!" :)

ofcourse it was a joke, beacouse when gliders on ground, everytime pitot tube pines plugged. Pitot static system is very sensitive and diaphragm can be lose form or failure easy when blowing into tube. system does work by different value of dynamic and static ports pressure when airborne.

Sign in to follow this