MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chan CS

SIA planes hit each other at Singapore airport on Saturday

SINGAPORE: Two Singapore Airlines planes hit each other's wings while preparing for take-off at the city-state's Changi Airport but no one was injured, the carrier said in a statement Sunday.

"It is reported that the wingtips of two aircraft came into contact while both aircraft were taxiing at low speed," company spokesman Stephen Forshaw said.

Both Boeing 777 aircraft suffered minor damage in the accident early Saturday morning and the passengers were transferred to other aircraft for their flights to Rome and Copenhagen.

The airline gave no details on the number of passengers who were onboard when the incident occurred.

Forshaw said an investigation was underway with pilots of both aircraft assisting the relevant authorities. - AFP/ac

This thread is worthless without picture :p :pardon:

Aiya that one is too hard now lar... Let's wait and see...

When I got back from my flight around 4.30am on saturday, I saw the crew involved being interviewed at control center. Must be tough on them to be interviewed at wee hours.

I got no time to ask .. too tired from my flight...

Folks, oh dun worry. No, it wasn't me. :rolleyes:

That is a relief isn't it !

Perhaps we should have a roll call by all the usual suspects and work backwards by process of elimination ! :p

Kidding guys, just kidding !

This incident is almost similar to SQ029 hitting two tailstands in 2002, which resulted in damage to wing's leading edge.

As for SQ's investigation, presumably they will be focusing on:

- Tracing of the sequence of events

- What precautions did the pilots took to avoid clipping each other's wings?

- Where and why did the precautions failed?

- After the incident occurred, what steps did they take to safeguard the aircraft and ensure passenger safety? Did they meet the standard expected?

- Did they follow procedures?

You can get a clue of what sort of questioning to expect by looking at SQ29's questions (extracted from ASC final report)

1. When you were operating on 19 July 2002 on SQ29, what was your gate number and subsequent taxi clearance?
  2. Did you conduct a briefing on the taxi route to be followed before commencing taxing?
  3. Who was taxiing the aircraft?
  4. Is this a normal procedure in SIA for the first officer to taxi the aircraft when he is the pilot flying?
  5. Which parking bay did the First Officer mistakenly turn into thinking that it was taxiway S5?
  6. Did the First Officer confirm with you that he was following the correct taxi route before he turned right into the bay?
  7. How did you realize you were not on Taxiway S5?
  8. Did you see the sign board for entry to taxiway S5?
  9. Could you see the equipment on the bay as mentioned by the First Officer?
  10. What action did you take to try and avoid the equipment?
  11. What was your taxi speed at this time?
  12. Did you advise ATC of your taxiway excursion?
  13. Did you do a visual check of your right wing to make sure you did not make contact with any equipment before you took off?
  14. Did you notice any abnormal aircraft system indications during take off?
  15. When did ATC advise you that you might have hit some tailstands during taxiing?
  16. What were your subsequent action after being advised by ATC that you might have hit some tailstands during taxiing?
  17. Why did you elect to continue the flight to Singapore?
  18. Were you aware that CKS Operations requested you to turn back to Taipei?
Edited by Denny Yen

See...that's why I don't like raked wingtips...too long!kidding...haha :pardon:

Normally what kind of punishment do the pilots looking at in this kind of accident?

Did you do a visual check of your right wing to make sure you did not make contact with any equipment before you took off?

Can the pilots see the wing from the cockpit ?

Folks, oh dun worry. No, it wasn't me. :rolleyes:

LOL ah lee... phew* :) :drinks:

Aiya that one is too hard now lar... Let's wait and see...

Exactly..i wonder how serious is the damage....anyone here have any idea where we can view the picture from another source? Thanx

Can the pilots see the wing from the cockpit ?

Don't think pilots can see the wing tips unless slide #2 window open. Maybe engineering or Boeing might think of installation of retractable side mirror for airplane in the future.. :pardon: :pardon: :rofl:

Sign in to follow this